The FUN and EFFICIENT Note-taking System

https://youtu.be/L9SLlxaEEXY #TfT

Morgan discusses “The FUN and EFFICIENT note-taking system I use in my PhD” using

@obsdmd and #zettelkasten.

I think you can simply replace the word Obsidian with Tiddlywiki

@sobjornstad Zettelkasten Tiddlywiki edition, Stroll edition from @DaveGifford, Mehregan from Kookma, TiddlyResearch, … are good editions to start! …

5 Likes

First reply!

Many responses:

1. Nice video, while I knew all the Zettelkasten stuff, it was helpful to see how she does that in Obsidian. Gives me more ideas…
  2. Searching for ‘Mehregan’ in Google images brings up a lot of colors and culture. Thanks for always introducing us to more of Iranian culture!
  3. How did I miss Mehregan? Did you post about it before? This is the first I am seeing of it. The rest of my comments are about Mehregan specifically.
  4. Icons as tabs at the bottom of the tiddler is really clean and is the way to go rather than seeing actual tabs. I need to do that for my stuff.
  5. Wow, the interstitial notes! Beautiful. I had an editortoolbar button for inserting the time in Stroll Goodies. But it really needed to be set up the way you have done it. You nailed it.
  6. Speaking of Stroll, thanks for the shout out in your post. I need to update Stroll and maybe also create a Stroll premium with custom CSS so people can see what it could look like…
  7. Now I see what your section editor was moving you towards! That comment section is a great idea, and I am not sure it was possible before section editor. I have always wanted a way to add a ‘second’ hidden text field for adding backlinks and other items. When I first saw section editor, I was only thinking of it for, well, sections of an article with headers. Now my eyes have been opened to other uses for it. Awesome!
  8. A to do list at the footer of a tiddler is also a great idea. I would have never thought of that. Very handy. And I see it gets added into the sidebar tab for to dos. Nice! Makes me think this idea might be another way to add quick side comments, too, in addition to your comments section.
  9. The node explorer is a nice way of not only showing references but also distinguishing the types of references. At first I saw the tags and created columns as needless clutter until I realized they could be sorted. Nice. My only two complaints would be: a) the name Node explorer isn’t as accessible as something like ‘references’. b) the column I would be likely to sort, the linktype (reftype would make more sense since they are not all links), seems not to be sortable. Too bad.
  10. I tried linking to a tiddler from the comment section of another tiddler. I like how that works Title/subtitle. And appears in the node explorer of the tiddler. Nice!

I am sure I am missing a lot of other nice details. But these are the things that jumped out at me. Thanks for these wonderful new ideas and tools. We should team up to create a separate hybrid monster notetaking TiddlyWiki. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Mohammad,

I hope you find yourself well.

Wow, that was fun and to the point. The cue that perked my interest was “non-hierarchical” just like “non-linear” for Tiddlywiki. Watching videos like these just but reinforce my belief and use of tiddlywiki.

Many thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Julio

1 Like

Thank you @Mohammad for sharing, great video!

I had started to move towards Obsidian last year but have just recently (and finally!) committed to Tiddlywiki as my note taking system.

@sobjornstad’s ideas around Zettelkasten, Mehregan, Stroll edition and Kookma’s plugins, etc are all having a tremendous influence on how I am developing my Tiddlywiki.

It’s all very exciting!

I’m currently participating in the workshop Linking Your Thinking designed by Nick Milo, the originator of Obsidian. I expect a number of the participants will be using Obsidian but the concepts are independent and I’ll be using them to build my Tiddlywiki throughout the workshop.

2 Likes

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your detailed comments and your nice words!

Mehregan was brought to life when we discussed with Alberto Molino his great Scholar Edition!
I asked to update the edition if he has time and he kindly allowed me to create a new edition based on his original idea! So I started to create a plugin called Thinkup and then Mehregan Edition!
So, Mehregan is the new generation of Alberto Scholar Edition, benefits from Zettelkasten implementation in TW.

See

1. Plan for a New Edition: A Free Pick of Tiddlywiki Scholar Features - Discussion - Talk TW
  2. Mehregan Edition: First public beta release - Discussion - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org)
  3. Some Crude Ideas for Journal Tiddler - Discussion - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org)
  4. Tiddlywiki Tabs Demystified - Tips & Tricks - Talk TW {see this for creating your own tabs)

I will later come back to this post!

2 Likes

Hi @Jacqui,
Welcome to Talk forum! I myself prefer Tiddlywiki over other tools like RoamResearch and Obsidan! The reason is I can shape Tiddlywiki to my needs! I use a totally different Tiddlywiki for my graduate student to the one I used for an undergraduate course!

I cannot do this in Obsidan, or Orgmode, or RoamResearch! But I am sure we can learn alot from them! So, it would be great if you can share good points from the workshop with us! We may be able to write plugins and add new features ready to use by casual users!

1 Like

Hi Julio (@jtech108 )
I may recommend to have a look at the works by @sobjornstad, @DaveGifford, and @linonetwo!

@linonetwo and his colleagues developed some great tools around Tiddlywiki for non-hierarchical note taking! Their CPL is just amazing!

Thank you @Mohammad…that has also been my past experience. I suspect it may be possible but done in scripting/programming languages that I’m not familiar or comfortable enough with. There really is no one-size-fits-all, unless we build it.

The flexibility and complete customization of Tiddlywiki is what has always drawn me to it over the years. Only now though have I been willing to make the commitment to invest the time to learn and build it out to meet my needs.

A number of plugins have already made their way into my Tiddlywiki. Maybe, eventually, I will be able to give back to the Community and help write plugins. :slight_smile:

I recognize I’m the newbie here and would be humbly honoured to have the opportunity to share how some of the ideas from the workshop end up incorporated into my Tiddlywiki. It may be that I also come back with ideas and reach out to the Community for suggestions of how I might be able to implement them.

4 Likes

At the start it is quite difficult, but as soon as you get used to Tiddlywiki Filters and Widgets, it will be not that difficult! There is a new kookma tool called Gatha, it lets you to create a plugin (from your customization, …) as easy as you create a daily journal tiddler!

You can! you will find nice people in this community to help!

Good luck and best wishes!

1 Like

His works weighed heavily in me making the decision back to Tiddlywiki and I will definitely check out the others. Thank you.

1 Like