Plan for a New Edition: A Free Pick of Tiddlywiki Scholar Features

TW Scholar edition by Alerto, and Zettelkasten edition by Soren are two great and unique piece of works for professional and efficient note taking.

We had some correspondences with Alberto, and I decided to develop a new tool based on Alberto TW Scholar and get some idea from Soren Zettelkasten to mimic the TW-Scholar in Tiddlywiki 5.2.0

This tool will be based on kookma plugins and will add one or two new plugins

Thinkup is a new plugin under development that reproduces some features of TW Scholar; namely magic tabs!

Here are some screenshots and screencasts

Thinkup sidebar

img_620_%pn

Smart tabs

This has been introduced in Alberto Magic tabs
img_622_%pn

Node explorer

This has been introduced in Shiraz plugin

keywords

This is originally part of kookma TW-Solution plugin also other developers borrowed it and used in their editions. Drift is one of them!

Tag cloud

This is part of TW-Scripts and will be integrated into Thinkup

I welcome ideas, suggestions, contribution, …

7 Likes

What is the benefit of this new edition?

• It will be highly modular
  • Efficient use of templates to create different types of tiddlers
  • Efficient use of colors and icons
  • Use predefined colorful tags!
  • User can simply add remove features
  • Based on the new features of TW 5.2.0
  • Empower the edition by using some kookma plugins (like Thinkup, Shiraz, Section, Refnotes,…)
1 Like

How Smart Tabs will work in Thinkup?

See below screencast! It uses kookma Todolist!

img_624_%pn

This is really exciting, I’ll be interested to see it when it’s released!

Hey,
also fascinated of this aproach.
In my view with magic tabs the used tiddler become something like little cluster of connected information, which is only shown in case of use, so that the information is not overboarding.
And any information persist in use as the tiddler principe in individaual tiddlers.
This is the great potential of this minimalistic aproach.

In my view in this context there will be some great potential of generate something i understand as cascaded filtered content, which take care of the situation that this cluster can also be in parent/child relationship to other cluster. So that the filter used in child hierachy considere his parentships or level and prefilter some possible steps (selectable minitabs, field contents or silblings - child on the same level ect) so on.
Hope the second point is not to confusing…looking forward to the relaese.
Great step Mohammad

Looking forward to trying this plugin out! In the screencast, I see you can add todo’s to tiddlers in one of the tabs. Will there also be a central point where all the to-do’s from different tiddlers show up? I imagine it would be tricky to keep track of all the to-do’s otherwise!

Hi Odin,
It will have the todo on the sidebar! but also adds todo per tiddler! I thought tiny todos will make sense and then we can have a Task tool like the one in Shiraz!

But I did not thought about collecting all todos in one place! of course it is possible with little programming! I will take a look!

The official Comments Plugin was adopted as smart tab! See below screencast

img_629_%pn

Hi again Odin!
Kookma Todolist plugin can how todos from serval tiddlers! So we can have a central tiddlers to show all todos!

See : Todolist Plugin — organize, prioritize, and plan your work

1 Like

@2right4 - very nice description! I added it to Thinkup docs. Thank you

Question: I think the current three tabs: node explorer, comments/ideas, and Todos are enough!
we can have instruction users add their own smart tabs (I have coded Thinkup in a modular way and I assume intermediate users can add simply their own tabs)

What do you think?

1 Like

I think these three are great to start! Happy to read that thinkup is modular so it is easy to add new tabs. One suggestion would be to create a tab for your refnotes plugin!

Ah thank you Odin! Good idea!
I am thinking to add some optional tabs! So user can show/hide them from Settings!

New Feature Thinkup 0.2.3

1. Based on @Odin request, now you have a category tab on the sidebar to show all todos from all tiddlers have a todolist.
  2. a button to manage and explore internal tiddlers is added

See screencast

434_%pn

1 Like

Some definition: New Terminology

Category tab: a sidebar tab coveys an important tag like Idea
These tabs are like folder and the tag they convey cover a wide range of notes. Thinkup has few category tabs like

• Ideas (conveys Idea tag)
  • Questions (convey Question tag)
  • People (conveys People tag)
  • Experiments (conveys Experiment tag)
  • Todos (lists all tiny tasks)
  • Comments (lists all tiddlers comments)

Smart tab: (adopted from Alberto Molino Magic tabs/Bottom tabs) is a tab appear at the bottom of each tiddler and show extra information like

• node explorer (all tiddlers have some relation to current tiddler)
  • comments (all tiddlers have comment/note on the current tiddler)
  • todos: all tiny tasks on the current tiddler

What do you think? What other categories/tags/folders do you propose?

What is the Experiments category?

Actually I used it for experimenting new things in Tiddlywiki but can have other meaning here!
I welcome suggestions here!

1 Like

Hello Mohammad
I would like to thank you for continuing to make magictabs compatible with the current version of tiddlywiki. The original was a great piece of work which I didn’t really appreciate as my understanding of tw and it’s features were beyond my comprehension at the time.
I like the idea that it will be modular and allow multiple tiddler types to be created, as I believe although there are a multitude of common uses for tw there are also many individual uses or adaptations that can be created.
I would like to suggest that a document(s) category be added to your list of categories.

E.G.
Design Documents
Process Documents
Materials Specifications
Design Specifications
Technical Specifications

Regarding the new features,

I would like to see some method of toggling toolbar buttons for reader mode /author mode. Along the lines of similar recent discussions on this forum.

Possible styling via checkbox features / data tiddler maybe.

I also think that your quick tables / Shiraz features could be added with great affect.

Not wanting to be pushy, but is there a demo or pre- release version of this tool available that we could look at to see where you are coming from re scripts etc.

Regards
Scot

1 Like

Hi Scot,
Many thanks for your comments!
Sure I will consider those ideas implementable!
I plan to publish an edition, I will add some minimum plugins then! including Utility to be able to switch to reader/author mode and Shiraz for creating stylish content!

These are good suggestion. I am trying to make the process simple. If I can add a button so, one can simply add a new category tab!

I will soon upload a beta release to experiment!

1 Like

That sounds great, I can’t wait to see your released version.
Thanks,
Scot