Has someone already made a dynanote annotater?

I’m working on a setup that converts the example annotation system that comes with the dynanote plugin into something that you could actually use for notation. It limits annotating to only items tagged “Annotate”, gets rid of the unnecessary prefix/suffix fields, adds an edit box for annotations, allows a switch-up between seeing recent and all colors, and selection of tags from a configurable list. I hope to make the prefix/suffix of created annotations also configurable.

I got this far, but it occurs to me that I might be re-creating the wheel. Has someone already created an annotation tool based on dynanotate?

3 Likes

TLDR: No, yes, then no again.

(No) I thought I told you, I wrote a “seek text in context” tool, that searched through tiddlers for a word/phrase and listed the results showing ~50 chars before |phrase| ~50 chars after. To do that I used your (marvelous) regex splitter.

(yes) Then along came dynannotate. I slotted that in to the above to let it do the marking up of the results. Way too slow. Lived with it for a while (guessing: couple weeks?) then took it out.

(no) Now I’m back to the original and since $eventcatcher, it’s even faster (dealing with hundreds of links).

I’m not sure if that fits what you’re asking, since it’s not really annotating (beyond marking up finds).

EDIT: I just looked at the dynannotate code to remind myself how it looked. I’d left a comment to myself:

This version with dynannotate works but too easily slips into “Too much recursion”

The thing to remember about the dynannotate plugin is that it works by rendering the wrapped content and then extracting the plain text content using DOM methods. As far as I know, it is the only approach for searching/annotating that avoids hitting the raw wikitext of the target tiddlers. If you can get away with working with the raw wikitext then you don’t need the dynannotate plugin.

Now that is interesting, indeed. Not sure I ever thought of it that way. Explains perhaps the slowness?

Thanks.

Annotating the raw text would be much easier if we had an intelligent scroll bar, like we do here on Discourse. That is, the preview moves to accommodate the position of the cursor in the raw text. This almost makes WYSIWYG moot.

In case anyone is interested –

3 Likes

Interested? I’m positively…

            drooling

1 Like

I also like <title>-annotation N, I name associated tiddlers the same way.

Good stuff, Mark!

Definitely interested. I don’t have time ATM to comment much :-(. But I can currently comment this looks as good as, if not better, than the e-books implementations I seen already.

Certainly where you deliver a TW for use, where the text is an inviolable given, annotation IS what a user does / can do. I’m very interested in it for probable use for TW e-pubs.

Just a quick prelim. comment
Best, TT

@CodaCoder, canine side-note …

Screenshot 2022-02-10 165407

Maxma drooling. Might that be a disease? Just asking for a puppy that doesn’t drool.

Side note
TT

Is there any demo wiki available for testing out this?

2 Likes

This only works in 5.2.1. It could probably be adapted to work in other versions. Basically it reworks the example code to become a (hopefully) practical annotation tool.

MAKE BACKUPS!

This did go off the rails a couple times while I was developing, and though I was always able to find a way back, you may not be so lucky.

You need to install the dynanote plugin from the official repository. Import the attached.
This overwrites the example tiddler that comes with the official plugin.

Go into the official plugin → examples → Viewtemplates and click on “Click here to use the custom view template”

By default, the annotation will only work with tiddlers tagged “Annotate”. But you can change this in the tiddler “Dyna/Config/Filter”.

The prefix and suffix of created annotations can be changed by Dyna/Config/Prefix and Dyna/Config/Suffix respectively.

You can add your own list of tags to apply to annotations in Dyna/Tags.

One downside of annotations is that they suppress existing links. For this reason, you might want to use the “Hide” or “Hide All” buttons on the annotation editor.

To get the annotations back, select a bit of text, and from the popup chose “Unhide Hidden”.

The “Close” button on the two popups close out the current dialog without you having to click somewhere off to the side.

dyna-notate-220210-1112.json (7.0 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks @Mark_S, it’s great to see Dynannotate being exercised. It is overdue for an update – for example, thanks to the cascade mechanism we should be able to avoid the custom view template now.

I’m not on my desktop so I can’t try your example now, but do you think we could adopt your example into the plugin?

Any thoughts as to further improvements are appreciated – perhaps there might be some documentation updates arising from your experiments?

1 Like

Thank you very much for this @Mark_S and @jeremyruston , it is extremely useful and works very well on mobile.

One cosmetic suggestion for small screen users would be narrower popup windows and buttons and a more centralised popup (it goes off screen a bit on mobile). Maybe pointers to the css classes are already in the dynanote docs?

Only brief feedback, it already adds really nice flexibility to dynanote, Thanks.

1 Like

D’oh!

Per Jeremy’s suggestion, here’s an updated version that makes use of cascades. This will decouple the annotation code from the example, and allow the code to be used in future versions of TW.

To install, delete everything tagged with “dyna” on your existing set up (assuming you tried this before). Then go into the Dynanotate example dialog and click “Click here to revert to the core view template”. Then import the attached. Now you will no longer need to use the example dialog to activate the annotation. Everything that passes the filter contained in Dyna/ViewTemplateBodyFilter (currently tag[Annotate]) will be annotated.

Make backups before you start and/or turn off auto save. I managed to somehow block myself out of TW. Must have done something wrong with the cascade filter, but I’ll never know because I had to reload!

dyna-notate-kit-220211a.json (6.7 KB)

1 Like

This version is a plugin (thanks Gatha!) It includes a stylesheet for changing the min/max width of the popups. It also trims the buttons a bit.

Remove anything tagged “dyna”. If you didn’t do it with the last edition, go into the Dynanotate example dialog and click “Click here to revert to the core view template”.
Then import the attached. Anything tagged “Annotate” will have annotation enabled.

plugin_MAS_DynaNotator_v0.0.4_20220215.json (11.3 KB)

Feel free to borrow any code back if you like. Or I could, but I probably wouldn’t know the standards to apply re styles. Also what criteria to apply for the cascades. And whether to keep the original example or replace it.

1 Like

How do you plan to develop and use this ?

I tried to annotate an the article clipped using html clipping feature of tiddlyclip. It was nice annotating with dyna.

I would like the annotation tiddlers created by annotating a particular tiddler be brought together into a single tiddler using some viewtemplates with anchor links or something sort of linking back (so that if i click on the link for the annotation tiddler, it will take me back to the the original tiddler at the point of annotation).

Another feature other than annotation that i could think of is context search with highlighting on text selection (instead of annotation) and this should be configurable. I have seen such a feature in remnote. Not sure whether its applicable to dynaannotate or not. Just sharing my thoughts on this.

Mostly I was thinking of my own use, where I have a classic text that I don’t want to “pollute” by inserting macros, transclusions, etc. But annotating HTML, where editing the source can be extremely difficult, is a good use too.

I could add a “footnote” to the bottom, that would collect the annotations.

This, if possible, would require that the dyannotate widget insert named anchors. That’s the only way I know to navigate within a tiddler. Perhaps @jeremyruston could comment on the feasibility of that enhancement.

2 Likes

This really makes dynanote a great notetaking tool, thanks Mark.

I’ve had a crack at ‘skinning’ it for my own quinoid mobile use because the dialog window was a bit big and for me it was better ‘below’ rather than ‘below right’:

https://wattaged.github.io/popmap/#Aralia%20script

I moved some of the furniture around in your template body. So far so good, and on android the core images I’ve used on buttons within the dynanote popup show up fine, however on ios - no show. I wonder if you’ve ever come across that before?

I might just be using the svg buttons incorrectly or the css, does this look wrong?

<$button id="done" class="dyna-color-button">{{$:/core/images/done-button}}
<$action-deletetiddler $tiddler=<<stateTiddler>>/>
</$button>

Any tips appreciated.

I’ve always found dynanote quite a daunting plugin for some reason but your adaptation has made the note taking aspect much more useable. Maybe in the future the dynanote plugin could enlist annotations in a streams compatible field, that might meet some of arunnbabu81’s needs. Streams already has a ‘fuse’ option.