Any new GTD plug ins available other than GSD5, Cardo and Projectify

Can you show a small example in tiddlyhost.

@arunnbabu81 please reply to peoples posts or @ mention them so we know who you are asking or replying to. Use the reply on their post not at the bottom.

2 Likes

@TW_Tones that was by mistake I guess. I was asking @Tiddlybob regarding an small demo of the ticklers he was using.

1 Like

I didn’t understand your reply fully, but I am interested in seeing how it works because I already use one of your tweak for Journal tiddlers (with journal-date field) and it was indeed a good tweak. A demo wiki might be a good to see it in action.

1 Like

Sure. It is very rough around the edges, but here it is:

https://gsdrecurexample.tiddlyhost.com/

Let me know if you have any questions,
Thanks
Bobby

1 Like

It looks promising. I did my testing in mobile only. I will give more feedback after more testing in desktop.

I think the update recurrence frequency buttons can be placed in actions dashboard also.

Another thing I noticed is that actions in gsd5 in not having a due date selector like cardo or projectify.

The best possible GTD system will be a GSD5 basewith actions and projects having the UI of projectify todos and projects, and a kanban board like Tekan. But that integration will be a big job. May be some features can be cherry picked from projectify and Tekan to be added to the GSD5 base.

I agree the perfect system would be GSD5 combined with Projectify. It would be a lot of work though. I started working on the recurrence functionality to see if I could replace my current system than I was using (Tasks.org), but I decided to shelve it for now. It’s fine on desktop, but there’s just too much friction on mobile.

1 Like

I was going to start creating a NGSD (never getting stuff done) solution but i never did. Does this mean i succeeded?

The Procrastinator’s Club meeting was re-scheduled to next month.

The Apathy Club meeting was cancelled due to lack of interest.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: How to download a wiki from TiddlyHost?

@arunnbabu81,

You don’t need due dates for actions in mGSD. Write your task or to-do item in the action template, including your context/metadata/assigned-to/ and any other “tag” you may want to add. When you are ready to add a due date, convert your action to a tickler and that’s it. All the tags are kept intact in the tiddler, so you can convert the ticklers bact to an action with one click.

I am not fond of Projectify, mainly because of its interface: It occupies too much of precious visual space.

I am not fond of Kanban/Tekkan/Trello either. It is very powerful though too fancy and distracting for managing projects.

The best GTD system still is mGSD, and GSD5 could be its replacement with an effective tickler system…

Thank you @TW_Tones for the reply.

I used this method mentioned by @twMat - which seems like the easiest way for downloading tiddlyhost sites - especially since mGSD in TW classic based.

I have started using GSD5. Will need some more usage to assess my needs. Will ask for your help if I find some difficulty.

Regarding ticklers, since I haven’t used mGSD much, I dont know how it works. Now that I have downloaded a copy mGSD, I will check how it works. The method suggested by @Tiddlybob for ticklers does work. Again I havent compared it with ticklers in mGSD. May be we can ask Roma Hicks to add tickler functionality to GSD5 in GitLab. Another problem with using mGSD is that it is based on TW Classic which I haven’t used till now. But definetely I will test it out.

1 Like

I have made a test wiki for the GSD5 ticklers here. You can drag and drop the gsd5 tickler plug from this wiki. I am starting to do more testing of gsd5.

Now with the addition of ticklers, is GSD5 almost similar to mGSD in functionality. Is there any missing functions. Is the the GSD5 ticklers similar to the one in mGSD?

@arunnbabu81 ,

Thank you, I will try test the functionality of GSD5 with ticklers.

Note that mGSD is based on “tags” while GSD5 is based on a combination of “tags” and “fields”. There were a few attempts to port mGSD from TWC to TW5 over the years. Apparently it was not feasible with the early versions of TW5 due to the time/due-date functionality required. Cardo was supposed to be a better GSD5, same with Projectify. As my coding skills are nil, I couldn’t understand and even less re-create the plugins of those apps.

A particular requirement for me is that the ticklers in GSD5 may be converted to ticklers and vice versa. In mGSD a project may be converted to a tickler; an action may be converted to a project, a tickler, or a reference; and a tickler may be converted to an action or a project. Moreover, after any conversion the data was retained (wasn’t lost) in the tiddler tags.

This is how it worked: After I created a project, the scope and details were input in the text field. Then I created actions for the project. Actions that needed a due date were converted into ticklers. After a tickler was completed, it was re-converted to action. Finished actions were converted to references. Sometimes actions needed to be converted into projects given their size/importance or when the action needed to be broken down into several more actions. I managed about 150 projects from 2013 to early 2022 with this system.

2 Likes

@Alfonso I am currently using gsd5 for testing purposes and I am liking it more than Cardo. Although Cardo has more functionality, Cardo’s UI is overcrowded. So I am preferring GSD5 over Cardo. Since I am using the GTD system for the first time, I am having some confusion in creating Realms, context. Also I need to develop a method for creating actions, projects. I think it will take a few more days for me to understand the GTD system to a basic level.

https://gsd5-ticklers-demo.tiddlyhost.com/

I tried this link yesterday, it looked good; was starting to explore possibilities, intending to return.

Now today, the same link returns this:

Looks like something in the presentation layer has broken, at least from my browser perspective: Chrome Version 106.0.5249.91 (Official Build) (x86_64), FYI.

Besides that: this GSD5 project has real potential; am following developments with interest!

/walt

@ludwa6

This is just a demo wiki I set up for showing my progress in setting up a GTD system. I am using GSD5 plug in by Roma Hicks which he has hosted in Gitlab - link is there in the OP i guess. The appearance changed because I added the MCL and left bar plug in and changed the palette.

Also I changed the appearance of the Dashboard by going to the GSD5 tab in the appearance section of the control panel.

The red alerts you are seeing are the tickler notifications.

Also I had folded the default tiddlers …thats why you are seeing like that. Now I have reverted back to the old appearance - you can check it. If you are still having any trouble getting the old appearance of the wiki, I will give a detailed reply when I am back home.

You can just drag and drop the GSD5 core plug in and ticklers plug in if you want to try it in your wiki.

1 Like

Bingo! Looks great now, @arunnbabu81 -better than ever.

Packs a lot of GTD power into a very clean interface, AFAICT. Keen as i am to explore the potential, i’m in a phase of pretty intense GTD right now (vs meta-GTD), so i’m not sure i’ll have much time for UI discovery in the coming week.

I will say this: considering how simple is the workflow associated with the most complicated part of the GTD system -i.e. Processing & Organising, as per flow chart below, cribbed from the canonical wikipedia page- i have yet to find a tool (at any price!) that supports this workflow with no more friction than it deserves… A point about which even David Allen (the man who wrote the book) agrees, per his comments at the 2019 GTD summit. Amazing, considering how huge is the “installed userbase” for this amazing brain-ware!

I will also venture to say (from my non-technical user perspective, NB) that there’s never been a tool so well-suited to the challenge of porting this brainware to some portable software as TW5. Indeed: all essential functionalities are there already; just needs a more intuitive UI that is optimised for these few core workflows. In fact @arunnbabu81 you may have it mostly solved already in this GSD5-based edition, which is still wanting a bit of “polish” (like rollover help cues) to be readily usable, IMO… And maybe some xlation of non-GTD terminology (e.g. “Realms”? that’s a new one on me).

1 Like

What would be “the price” tag, that you would consider reasonable on a per-person, per-team (up-to-10) — per month basis?

1 Like