Any new GTD plug ins available other than GSD5, Cardo and Projectify

I have heard about a few GTD plug ins in TW

1. gsd5 - https://gsd5.tiddlyhost.com/
  2. Cardo - Cardo — A TiddlyWiki for Getting Stuff Done Click to Get Cardo
  3. May be projectify can be partly included in this.

I also have read in this forum sometime in the past regarding certain people using their own GTD systems. Can someone post a such a sample GTD system for reference if possible. In the near future I plan to incorporate such a GTD system into my workflow. So I was trying out the above mentioned plug ins. Since Cardo and GSD5 are little old, projectify being not a proper GTD system, I just wanted to know whether there is something else which people use?

I currently use projectify with various hacks and enhancements.

Prior to this I have twice built my own GTD from the ground up, the key being it evolves with my own needs, the content I am managing and my tiddlywiki skill level at the time. This is a key advantage of tiddlywiki.

Although I share solutions, methods and algorithms in the community the effort to package all or part of my GTD would be substantial.

• unfortunatly I think this may be the case for many of us

I think you would have some sucess searching for projects, tasks, calendars, todo or checklists to name a few

1 Like

I have used @telmiger’s ToDoNow successfully a longtime.

1 Like

I have used ToDoNow before - it has the added advantage of having reminders. I still haven’t decided which of the abovementioned plug ins should I use. Have to try each of them once again before deciding. Cardo being slightly old, have some bugs - thats another issue which I have to consider.

1 Like

Just a nitpick. I see lots of things that bill themselves as “GTD”, but are actually just a task-list with priorities. An important part of David Allen’s approach is that you don’t use priorities. That priorities are irrelevant, and instead you concentrate on context. With tags, you can make any task list context-dependent, but there’s a difference between whether a system is context dependent out-of-the box, or as an after-thought.

3 Likes

@Mark_S I saw you had made a similar comment in the past in another GTD related discussion.

Do you have a small demo of what you mention in that post?

I am trying to read about GTD. Is there any other software(non Tw) which you are familiar with that uses GTD system so that I can get familiar with it.

After a quick search, I see that Cardo and GSD uses context tiddlers in their system. But I don’t know how to use it.

Did you read the book?

Not yet. I just read about it in Wikipedia. I have seen GTD related plug ins of TW many times. But havent used them much except for small testing. I have used Projectify and ToDoNow to a good extent but they are not proper GTD plug ins.

As implied, GTD is a very specific and defined workflow. You might want to check out the original TW adaptation of it, i.e in TW Classic, which I believe was mGTD or MonkeyGTD (by… was it Simon Baird or Daniel Baird, or both?). Unfortunately the demo in the original site seems to be missing so not sure where to find it.

3 Likes

I had seen it before. But since it was TW classic based, i didn’t try to try out it in details. It must be saved somewhere in my hard drive. Will check it out

Also, unfortunately, the author, David Szego, is dead. I don’t think anyone has taken over it’s maintenance?

TT

I am aware of of that.

1 Like

http://mgsd1.tiddlyspot.com/

Found a version of monkeyGTD…Dont think it’s the original one though.

Hi arunnbabu81,

I uploaded mgsd1 to tiddlyspot about 5 years ago. I’ve been using and modifying it until last year. I went back to TWC 3.8.1, as later versions had a few issues.

GSD5 is very close (closest?) to mGSD, and the best tool (IMHO) for project management, except it doesn’t have the “ticklers”. I am currently (slowly) learning TW5 so I can create a similar version for my use, based on GSD5. It needs to be more user friendly and easily modifiable, not necessarily a copycat of mGSD. As for “ticklers”, I will have to look inside a few of the current to-do apps hanging around and see if I could integrate it with the rest of the app.

Cardo has some resemblance to mGSD. It has “reminders” though they are not the same as “ticklers” (not even close); and the last version had several bugs. No cigar.

Projectify has some resemblance to the original GTD concept, though to me is just a sophisticated to-do list, more useful to keep track of tasks, which are not the same as projects.

The original mGSD by Simon Baird, though in TWC v3.9.1 beta, may be found at:

https://mgsd.tiddlyhost.com/

TripleA (Alfonso A. Arciniega)

2 Likes

You should probably check out @EricShulman 's TiddlyTools. Check under the Packages tab > Time. As you’ll see, he is the definitive expert on all things that tick and, who knows, maybe he’d even be willing to take on ticklers if nothing there is close enough…

@Alfonso Thanks for the detailed reply. Your inputs are valuable since it’s coming from a long time user. I am experimenting with all those above mentioned plug ins currently. Do share if you are able to create a version similar to mgsd based on gsd5.

Have you seen this? There is no packaged plug in I guess. But there are ways to use the files available. Also it was updated years back.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Didn’t see this. Will take a look.

I am not so familiar with the term “tickler” but my own custom GTD solutions make use of the list widget to identify tiddlers that need attention. I am continuing to innovate how to handle reoccurring and periodical items.

• My example here illustrates why I need not depend on plugins or editions for GTD

My current method is a generic touch-date (with timestamp=no) on tiddlers, but if the tiddler has a weekly tag, an indicator on the tiddler and/or a list will list items with a touch date more than 7 days old. When done click to stamp the touch date now.

• Advantages one, date field for multiple periods
  • One button to touch
  • If a tiddler is touched due to a weekly activity, then it has also being touched for the monthly period, or monthly in the quarter.
  • The touch date is simply a now stamp and indicates exactly when it was done.
  • Its trivial to log every touch to a data tiddler, with the touch date/time the key and tiddler name as the value.

I have a proof of concept where just opening the tiddler will set the touch-date, or perhaps a view-date.

I started exploring recurring items in GSD5, which could be used as a “tickler” system. You can read about that in this thread.

2 Likes