Any new GTD plug ins available other than GSD5, Cardo and Projectify

I tried this link yesterday, it looked good; was starting to explore possibilities, intending to return.

Now today, the same link returns this:

Looks like something in the presentation layer has broken, at least from my browser perspective: Chrome Version 106.0.5249.91 (Official Build) (x86_64), FYI.

Besides that: this GSD5 project has real potential; am following developments with interest!

/walt

@ludwa6

This is just a demo wiki I set up for showing my progress in setting up a GTD system. I am using GSD5 plug in by Roma Hicks which he has hosted in Gitlab - link is there in the OP i guess. The appearance changed because I added the MCL and left bar plug in and changed the palette.

Also I changed the appearance of the Dashboard by going to the GSD5 tab in the appearance section of the control panel.

The red alerts you are seeing are the tickler notifications.

Also I had folded the default tiddlers …thats why you are seeing like that. Now I have reverted back to the old appearance - you can check it. If you are still having any trouble getting the old appearance of the wiki, I will give a detailed reply when I am back home.

You can just drag and drop the GSD5 core plug in and ticklers plug in if you want to try it in your wiki.

1 Like

Bingo! Looks great now, @arunnbabu81 -better than ever.

Packs a lot of GTD power into a very clean interface, AFAICT. Keen as i am to explore the potential, i’m in a phase of pretty intense GTD right now (vs meta-GTD), so i’m not sure i’ll have much time for UI discovery in the coming week.

I will say this: considering how simple is the workflow associated with the most complicated part of the GTD system -i.e. Processing & Organising, as per flow chart below, cribbed from the canonical wikipedia page- i have yet to find a tool (at any price!) that supports this workflow with no more friction than it deserves… A point about which even David Allen (the man who wrote the book) agrees, per his comments at the 2019 GTD summit. Amazing, considering how huge is the “installed userbase” for this amazing brain-ware!

I will also venture to say (from my non-technical user perspective, NB) that there’s never been a tool so well-suited to the challenge of porting this brainware to some portable software as TW5. Indeed: all essential functionalities are there already; just needs a more intuitive UI that is optimised for these few core workflows. In fact @arunnbabu81 you may have it mostly solved already in this GSD5-based edition, which is still wanting a bit of “polish” (like rollover help cues) to be readily usable, IMO… And maybe some xlation of non-GTD terminology (e.g. “Realms”? that’s a new one on me).

1 Like

What would be “the price” tag, that you would consider reasonable on a per-person, per-team (up-to-10) — per month basis?

1 Like

Good question, @pmario -and the way you put it calls for a somewhat nuanced answer.

In the field of PERSONAL productivity tools, there are umpteen free tools around that support all essential GTD functions- tho never in the same tool, it seems to me, unless with “some assembly (ha! usually a lot) required.” For a tool that integrates all in such a way as to facilitate seamless GTD workflows -AND enables a reasonable modicum of interop (i.e. dynamic dataflow) in some standard format (ideally: Markdown content serialised via RSS) to one’s groupware tools of choice [1]- i for one would happily pay $10/mo, as would many GTD aficionados, i believe.

[1] Now, as for GROUPWARE: that’s like another ballgame entirely. In that category, it hardly matters what i would consider reasonable; it’s a matter of what the market (i.e. companies) are willing to pay… And looking at the dominant players in this category (in no particular order: Asana, Jira, Monday.com, Trello… Maybe Evernote, tho here i’m not so clear [2]), pricing ranges from like $10 /month to $50 /month for “industrial strength” functionality, tho some offer most essential functionality for small teams in a free version (Trello, for example, from which my farm team has derived great value over the years, without ever paying a license fee). Again: optimisation for support of GTD workflows is not built-in to any of these products, but they are all more-or-less customisable (sometimes using plugin extensions arising out of a strong user community) to support at least some aspect(s) of GTD workflows.

[2] Considering all of the above, the field of products that bridges the two worlds of personal tools for GTD vs groupware is so narrow as to be (for me, anyway[3]) nonexistent. The one tool that i know to be pretty good for personal use (this much i know from personal experience of >10 ybp!) and also for team use (this much i know only by hearsay) is Evernote -making it perhaps the one to beat for TW5-GTD. That product, according to Developer’s pricing page is priced at $13.99 /user/month, at entry (i.e. 2-users) level.

[3] Reasonable as that pricing may be, i am not rushing to board that particular boat- nor any of the aforementioned, even if they too should offer some such thing- because i know how much time & work would be involved in (re)learning “the Evernote way” and optimising it for GTD workflows… Let alone selling my colleagues (none of whom is really into GTD, AFAIK) on the idea of adapting to my adopted system! We are as a team more-or-less comfortable using Trello… But that’s a lousy tool for personal GTD (especially for those of us who value the agility of a tool like TW5).

No: the more promising approach from my perspective would be to build some teamwork functionality into TW5, somehow -a pretty tough row to hoe, i gather, from everything i’ve been able to gather here (and i’ve been watching this TW community for signs of any groupware that might emerge for a good few years already, NB). Still: that is a most noble cause, and i applaud all TW developers working on solving the many problems involved in getting some multi-user/editor capable instance operable in the cloud.

MEANWHILE: the much easier thing i’m expecting to see first should be a really solid Edition of TW5 for GTD -solid enough that it should engage a significant user community of its own, culled from the huge community of GTD mavens, most of whom are of course not members of this TW community. In fact, i daresay that most serious GTD’ers might well have an allergic reaction to TW, because TW is sooo very conducive to that tweaking-the-software tendency that is the very antithesis of what GTD is all about.

My €0.02, FWIW.
/walt

1 Like

@arunnbabu81 I have been using GSD5 for my projects since early this year. Regarding Realms, I believe they are not needed. GSD5 tried to mirror mGSD probably too much, and included Realms. mGSD attempted to be a “one solution” for all the projects of a single person, so with Realms, someone would be able to separate work projects from personal projects, for instance, all in one TWC (like one application). However, I found out it makes more sense to have separate TW5s for separate lists of projects, making the Realm functionality optional. I’d prefer to delete the Realms completely from GSD5.

@ludwa6 By now you probably realized that the original mGSD in TWC and GSD5 in TW5 systems are very different from David Allen’s GTD system, even if the former use some of the principles of the latter. An oranges and apples situation. In the TW solutions, there are no “decisions” to make. I am not fond of the GTD system, and I even used it until twelve years ago. GTD is more of a “productivity enhancement” system which may be used in parallel to GSD5, a “project management” system. In GTD you don’t go over your completed task ever again while in GSD5 you keep a record of every task completed or not, with details of what was done (Action), who was assigned to it (or responsible for) (Waiting for), when was it done (text field), and when does it need to be completed (Tickler).

Thanks @Alfonso for clarifying about Realms provenance; i was wondering if that might be a synonym for Contexts, perchance… But from what you say, i tend to agree: as it is has no place in the lexicon of canonical GTD, then it should go (a good filter to apply more generally, in reviewing & refining this app for optimal GTD, i would say).

Speaking of Contexts: Why does that word appear nowhere on the dashboard, i wonder? Seeing as how the actionable outcomes of the processing/ organising workflow (per flowchart above) should land either on the Calendar (if time-bound) or else on the most relevant @Context list, should one not have access to both Calendar and Contact lists from the dashboard?

Ah, that explains a lot, @Alfonso. Am sorry to hear this -not only for me, but also for the millions of others for whom GTD is so central to the way they Get Things (or Stuff or 5hit, if you prefer) Done in life.

More than yet another “productivity enhancement” system, GTD for me is not so much about clearing the mind so i can load it up w/ more Stuff, but keeping it clear so i can engage more consciously with whatever i am actually doing in the moment. As David Allen says: “The mind is a great place for having ideas, but a terrible place for storing them.” Not to nitpick about words, but this is a fundamental distinction, it seems to me.

So, if this GSD derivative is so fundamentally different from GTD, i respect the difference… But then i wonder if perhaps it shouldn’t adopt a new name that is less likely to cause such confusion, in favour of something that speaks of “Project Management” more directly. ?

@ludwa6 Re Contexts appearing in the dashboard: The “beauty” of TW is that, if you want, you may modify your dashboard to show contexts with a few lines of code. You could show whatever you consider more important to you. I was able to do this in mGSD relatively easily as it was based on “tags”. GSD5 is based on “tags” and “fields”.

@ludwa6 Good question. This is my experience: I learned about GTD probably 17 years ago. I seemed an excellent time/task management at that time. Several Windows applications were released, and I tried at least three of them. I am not sure though I think copyright/trademark issues prevented further development of those applications, which weren’t great in any case. By early 2010 I discovered TW Classic. In the next two/three years several “GTD” based TWC applications appeared in the scene. Besides mGSD by Simon Baird, there were tbGTD by Tobias Beer (http://tbgtd.tiddlyspot.com) and d-cubed by Tom Otvos (Welcome to d-cubed). All three TWCs took some ideas of GTD (based on GTD) though didn’t “mirror” GTD. After reviewing the three, liked mGSD the most, and used it from 2013 to early 2022.

Regarding GSD5 by Roma Hicks (https://gsd5.tiddlyspot.com/), Cardo by David Szego (Cardo — A TiddlyWiki for Getting Stuff Done Click to Get Cardo), and Projectify by Nicolas Petton (https://projectify-demo.tiddlyhost.com/) in TW5, they are similar applications, with a different flavour. Projectify is not based on GTD but on Todoist and Basecamp.

I am using GSD5 now, though my ultimate goal would be to have a new more robust application like mGSD, maybe with a totally different name.

I believe mirroring the GTD system in TW5 would be relatively easy, if that is what you want (it’d be a “watered down” mGSD though). Several TW5 programers here could write a plugin for a fair price in less than a month.The issue here would be how to circumvent David Allen’s copyright/trademark.

1 Like

I think the operable word here is personal. One of the key reasons I inhabit the tiddlyverse is I want a personal GTD+ tiddlywiki lets me enable any personal productivity algorithm I wish, evolving my environment as needed. I really would not care to be forced to use another tool just for teamwork, but of course must.

In light of my last comment, I think we need the features of multi-user team work but I am not sure it should be “built into tiddlywiki” rather we have a shared platform for the interaction between multiple-users. Before twitter turned into what it is today, I thought I may be co-opted as a messaging platform that could be used for communicating between disparate applications.

• As I suggest here, lets solve the problem of interwiki communications then we can implement “multi-user/editor capable instance operable in the cloud” without removing the value of bespoke, evolving personal tools.

I am all for having my cake and eating it too, an at no cost. :nerd_face:

hmmm, Just remembered “xtag”, which imo was the best tag manager available.

1 Like

That is indeed what i want… Only i don’t see it as watered-down, but rather refined AND elaborated to be more fit-for-purpose.

Great! so how do we do this? I’ve heard numerous ideas floated though various threads on this board about how we might get specific TW projects funded, but if there’s a community norm about it, i’m not clear as to what it might be.

It strikes me that the GSD moniker would be perfect for this purpose… But now that it’s been applied to several projects that are not so directly based on GTD principles, i guess that could make choice of name a bit more complicated. ?

If I recall, Simon was contacted by David Allen company with a note about infringement so this is why it was renamed into GSD, i.e “Getting Stuff Done” instead of the original “Getting Things Done”.

But why would the trademark be an issue if it is not infringed upon? I mean, is there any issue what it is called as long as it does not infringe?

You are right. I think renaming it to GSD did fix the trademark problem. So every combination of xxx-GSD would work and would already be connected to TiddlyWiki as the base system.

I’m not a lawyer, but I think that isn’t a problem anymore.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Getting Stuff Done – Basic Element – implemented using TiddlyWiki

This sounds to me like the voice of a more-or-less archetypal TW user: one who is, if not a certifiable developer, then at least a “tweaker” of code. That being the norm here (a type i totally respect, b/t/w), the voice i’m trying to add here is that of the one who wants a software that just works, right out of the box, to support core GTD workflows (though it is also capable of much more, for those inclined to dig deeper).

Yes: Inasmuch as a “TW forTeams” product might have considerable commercial appeal, that’s not what TW is about for most people, so it should be left as an opportunity for developers that are interested in “going to business,” and bringing the funding that it will take to develop such a derivative product.

While i cannot claim any in-depth knowledge of tech standards, this issue of “interwiki communications” does seem to me like one that is pretty easily solved, using widely adopted standards for content format (e.g. Markdown) and syndication (e.g. RSS or maybe Atom), so perhaps that can be part of the spec for the prospective tw-gtd product (lowercase to indicate working title, not “brand”). Whether that feature is to appear in v0.1 or not… It should not hold up development of the Minimum Viable Product, IMO, if that feature turns out to be complicated.

Sure! and “If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.” :horse_racing:

I appreciate you giving voice to this,

There are people that want this, but a want does not make it real. People dream of this but every user is different. I think the answer is in the evolution, and it is my dream to enable the non-coder to be empowered.

• I used GTD and other “models”, and all fell short.

Thanks for my new label, I love it, I am a proud “TWeaker”.

• not in my view, I believe in building the infrastructure then let the community build on it for personal or commercial use.
  • Perhaps this is what an open source community can do :nerd_face:

I did so I made it; eg;

@Alfonso It seems like Roma Hicks is working on some updates to the GSD5 plug-in as seen in this GitLab page - v0.9.0-beta · Milestones · gsd5-tiddlywiki / gsd5-core · GitLab.

Check out this link also - Issues · gsd5-tiddlywiki / gsd5-core · GitLab

If you are interested, you may present some of your ideas to him - if feasible he might also be interested in them.

1 Like