A multi-column Layout / Storyview

Right. To phrase that another way …

How do you link to a tiddler in Another Column?

Just a comment
TT

Here was my low-tech solution for wide monitor: https://tiddlywiki-split-view-plugin.tiddlyhost.com/

7 Likes

Thank you @TiddlyTweeter ,
I was composing, singing and playing it … so I call it producing ^^

Thank you for creating a draft documentation!
I’m back on my Linux machine working on MCL at the moment

best wishes,
Simon

3 Likes

It is very well done! IF you ever did it again then I’d suggest “live rowing” on that sublime mountain lake, rather than a still image. :smiley:

TT

This is a really nice slimmed down version.

I think I’ll also use this, while MCL is impressive, it’s a bit too feature rich for me.

I found this snipped of code a while back that I think your double tiddler view might benefit from

.tc-tiddler-body, .tc-edit-texteditor, .tc-tiddler-preview-preview {
		max-height: {{$:/config/TextEditor/EditorHeight/Height}}; 
		overflow-y: scroll !important; 

You can change the length of the tiddlers by editting the editor height in the texteditor!

Edit: also, when not using a scrollbar, you can use this to remove the little white box that appears for longer tiddlers.

::-webkit-scrollbar-corner { /* white box fix */
		background-color: transparent !important;
	}

@ahanniga I like your split view plugin. It’s very lightweight and easy to use.

One question, would it be possible to change it slightly such that I have the capabilty of switching between normal and switched views without causing the save button to turn “dirty” or red? Maybe with the use of state tiddlers. Just curious. Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry Justin I missed this message!

Will give it a try - thanks.

Good question @HistoryBuff

It depends on whether you want current the state saved or not. When you toggle the button, it adds/removes a $:/tags/Stylesheet tag to the css tiddler $:/plugins/ahanniga/storyriver/css. The tag switches on/off the CSS that splits the view.

Altering the tiddler flags it as dirty and shows the wiki needing a save.

Cheers, Aidan

Thanks for the response.

Ok, that makes sense. Supposing I didn’t want to save the configuration unless I explicitly hit the save button (like what happens when state tiddlers change), what changes would be necessary to your plugin to make this happen? I ask because I can see situations where I would switch layouts back and forth dependning on what I’m doing. In this case, I’d like to be able to exit without it asking me whether I should save or not because I may not be sure of what other changes may have occurred.

Hi @HistoryBuff I’ve updated the plugin so that if no changes are pending, then toggling the view will not itself set the “dirty” status. Let me know if any issues, thanks.

Ah! Thanks, so far it works perfectly! You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir! Even works with reordering. Amazing!

1 Like

Hi,

I was looking for something that combines the advantages of @BurningTreeC’s multicolumn theme and the browsing experience of Krystal and your variant of Krystal Muticolumn is pretty close to what I’m looking for and a good base for further customization. But, unfortunately, I can make it to save any changes and in the only wiki variant that doesn’t save. Krystal multicolumn just sends the “starting to save” message and then nothing happens. If I reload the page I get the usual warning about the page asking me to stay to not loose changes and the reload shows Krystal Multicolumn in same status as I downloaded, without any changes made by me whatsoever. I tested several saving methods and they work with any other TW variant, but not with Krystal Multicolum.

How can I made Krystal Multiculom support the saving experience common in all TW variants?

Thanks in advance,

https://multicolumn-krystal.tiddlyhost.com/

Try this site…it’s is the latest version…but I have disabled Krystal plug in for the time being because of an error message which pop ups on starting the wiki for the first time as reported here. I will re enable it for you when I am back on my desktop.

Regarding the saving issue, i didn’t understand it fully. Did you downloaded a copy of the demo wiki and tried saving in this downloaded version. As far i understand only the owner can save a tiddlyhost wiki.

Thanks for your quick response. And yes I tried to save a local copy of the downloaded wiki without any success, even when other local savings are working fine. I use Timimi and TW5-server as ways to save local copies of my wikis and the original variants where I start my customization. I was unable to save the local copy of multicolum-krystal with any of the usual methods, despite working well with other local TW variants.

I will test your new suggestion and come back with more feedback.

@arunnbabu81 I tested the last wiki at https://multicolumn-krystal.tiddlyhost.com/ and still I’m unable to save local changes at the downloaded wiki.

This are the steps to reproduce the problem

1. After downloading multicolum-krystal, I open it in Firefox, where I have Timimi installed, as shown by the fish icon in (1) and the opened wiki doesn’t have any changes to save, as shown by the grayed out save icon at (2) in the screenshot below:

2. I create a new tiddler (2-1) and now the saving icon appears blue (2-2), but when clicking on saving, despite getting the “Starting to save message”, the icon continues with the same color (instead of graying out again, like in other local wikis) and when I reload the page, the usual warning about losing information is showed and then the originally downloaded wiki is shown again, discarding all recent changes in the local copy.

https://simon.tiddlyhost.com/#Download%20link%20demo

I have added a download button in the page controls as discussed in the above links. Try it now.

How did you download the wiki initially?

I guess this will solve the problem

Go to settings and remove all inputs from the tiddlyspot saver
Now try saving- it should work now.

1 Like

@BurningTreeC

Happy to say that I use MCL daily and it works nicely.
In case, you have missed some of my previous suggestions, I am listing them here again for ease of access.

1. Shift clicking on search results from command palette or default search doesn’t open the tiddlers in the next column.
  2. In full-screen mode of a tiddler, invoke command palette and click on search result - newly opened tiddler becomes visible only after we come out of the fullscreen mode.
  3. Ability to use filters for story field of ensemble tiddler as discussed here - 1 and 2.
  4. Emptystory message for each ensemble as discussed here
  5. Shift click on clone button shall open the new tiddler in next column.
  6. Shift click on tiddlers in tiddlytools calendar or links in BJ’s calendar tool, dosen’t open the tiddler in next column.
  7. If possible make jump macro compatible with MCL as discussed here.
  8. Can the second sidebar also be made adaptable to the story river.

Edited on 21082022:
9. Close-all button variant to close all tiddlers in all columns.

1 Like

Thanks! This solves the issue. What confused me was that I have not set up this before for any of my TiddlyHost hosted wikis, so despite playing with the “General” save options, never went to the “TiddlySpot Saver” as I thought, wrongly, that they didn’t apply to TiddlyHost.

I’m now saving local copies https://krystal-multicolumn.tiddlyhost.com/ without any problem. I’ll share the modifications back when we have the them.

Cheers,

PS: I downloaded the wikis using curl from the command shell.