Using the same tiddler for both StoryList and HistoryList?

Let’s say that one wanted to create/delete multiple Story Rivers at will, similar to the Multi-column Layout.

To make one’s life a bit easier, one may start to think about using a single tiddler to hold the StoryList in the list field, the HistoryList in the text field, the CurrentTiddler in the current-tiddler field, and a Caption in the caption field. :thinking:

Aside from possibly breaking plugins that hardcode instead of using the tv-story-list and tv-history-list variables, are there any known drawbacks to going this route?

…asking for a friend. :pleading_face:

I think this may be possible but I think it needs to be tested to be sure.

• Its all about the list widget, or link catcher etc… used to invoke the resulting “story”
  • I suspect the variables will get set anyway at least when using the $list widget as in $:/core/ui/PageTemplate/story in fact that is the reason for existing as far as I can tell.
 <$list filter="[list[$:/StoryList]]" history="$:/HistoryList" template={{$:/config/ui/ViewTemplate}} editTemplate={{$:/config/ui/EditTemplate}} storyview={{$:/view}} emptyMessage={{$:/config/EmptyStoryMessage}}/>

IMO that’s not possible. Both tiddler titles are hardcoded in the core code.

The HistoryList is never saved, because it has the potential to bloat the wiki. The StoryList is saved, because it needs to be possible to remember the story river between browser sessions.