A multi-column Layout / Storyview

@arunnbabu81 I tested the last wiki at https://multicolumn-krystal.tiddlyhost.com/ and still I’m unable to save local changes at the downloaded wiki.

This are the steps to reproduce the problem

1. After downloading multicolum-krystal, I open it in Firefox, where I have Timimi installed, as shown by the fish icon in (1) and the opened wiki doesn’t have any changes to save, as shown by the grayed out save icon at (2) in the screenshot below:

2. I create a new tiddler (2-1) and now the saving icon appears blue (2-2), but when clicking on saving, despite getting the “Starting to save message”, the icon continues with the same color (instead of graying out again, like in other local wikis) and when I reload the page, the usual warning about losing information is showed and then the originally downloaded wiki is shown again, discarding all recent changes in the local copy.

https://simon.tiddlyhost.com/#Download%20link%20demo

I have added a download button in the page controls as discussed in the above links. Try it now.

How did you download the wiki initially?

I guess this will solve the problem

Go to settings and remove all inputs from the tiddlyspot saver
Now try saving- it should work now.

1 Like

@BurningTreeC

Happy to say that I use MCL daily and it works nicely.
In case, you have missed some of my previous suggestions, I am listing them here again for ease of access.

1. Shift clicking on search results from command palette or default search doesn’t open the tiddlers in the next column.
  2. In full-screen mode of a tiddler, invoke command palette and click on search result - newly opened tiddler becomes visible only after we come out of the fullscreen mode.
  3. Ability to use filters for story field of ensemble tiddler as discussed here - 1 and 2.
  4. Emptystory message for each ensemble as discussed here
  5. Shift click on clone button shall open the new tiddler in next column.
  6. Shift click on tiddlers in tiddlytools calendar or links in BJ’s calendar tool, dosen’t open the tiddler in next column.
  7. If possible make jump macro compatible with MCL as discussed here.
  8. Can the second sidebar also be made adaptable to the story river.

Edited on 21082022:
9. Close-all button variant to close all tiddlers in all columns.

1 Like

Thanks! This solves the issue. What confused me was that I have not set up this before for any of my TiddlyHost hosted wikis, so despite playing with the “General” save options, never went to the “TiddlySpot Saver” as I thought, wrongly, that they didn’t apply to TiddlyHost.

I’m now saving local copies https://krystal-multicolumn.tiddlyhost.com/ without any problem. I’ll share the modifications back when we have the them.

Cheers,

PS: I downloaded the wikis using curl from the command shell.

Ciao Simon @BurningTreeC and all,
congratulations on the idea and its implementation.

Replying to the original post, I add some thoughts for further development:

I see it is possible to focus tiddlers and do some commands (close, edit tiddler) with keyboard-only shortcuts. This is great. Extending this idea, I’d suggest:

1. To speed up operations → working on frictionless multiple tiddlers selection, as described here
  2. To solve the issue of having too many (possibly conflicting) keyboard shortcuts → implement vim-like key bindings. This is possible through Vimium’s Links Hints functionality

, also:

1. Ensemble manager → a system to quickly move/copy tiddlers from one ensemble to another, duplicating/archiving ensembles, etc.
  2. Integration with Muuri story view → possibility to partially switch automatically to Muuri when appropriate (for example to watch photo galleries)

best wishes and thanks,
dam

1 Like

Ciao @arunnbabu81 & @damscal, I’m an enthusiast too. :slight_smile: And your enthusiasm & feedback is spot-on useful.

• One of the most interesting things about MCL is that each column is a semi-independent Story River. That opens a lot of flexibility in design.

• It also has a few caveat emptors mainly to do with how to inter-link between Rivers.

FWIW, @BurningTreeC (Simon Huber) has a second life in the South Tyrol of Northern Italy where he writes, performs and produces music …

Tamisch Bleibm - YouTube

But I’m sure he will return to here in time and polish his great tool! :slight_smile:

Best, TT

2 Likes

There are some signs of his return in github :grinning:. I saw a few commits made by him in the MCL repo.

1 Like

Hi all,

yes I’m back :wink:
But I’ve lost the overview in this thread.
I’ll create a new one where we gather ideas and requests

Best wishes,
Simon

4 Likes

What is the license to use this in a commercial product (a book) ?

1 Like

I love the long elf shoes on the bottom image. :slight_smile:

Hello @jamesmclellan

the license is MIT
feel free to use it in your product :slight_smile:

Thank you very much!

@BurningTreeC I had a thought the other day, one may be able to use MCL to create a digital version of the card game of patience/solitaire.

• Regardless to let someone implement this may also be a way to browse through a large number of tiddlers and organise them into columns, then subsequently lists.
2 Likes