A multi-column Layout / Storyview

Ah, yep columns- sorry bout that!

1 Like

Very useful to know! Thanks.

This kind of thing might be worth documenting?

I’ll add a note about it to the test documentation I’m writing for you.

Best, TT

I’m working on it as I use MCL.
I hope to have a draft done by Monday.

TT

@Justin_H depending on your tiddlywiki skills, if you want to test this try building your own layout. see ## Alternative page layouts

Just IMO, I do think MCL is immensely rich with many aspects.

I think it will take some time to get the documentation of it really clear. Though what @BurningTreeC has provided already is a very good start.

But it is too much to expect @BurningTreeC to document it all—whilst also making-it :smiley: .

Next week I hope to publish my documentation notes on it.

TT

2 Likes

Thought #2 – HAVE A SIMPLE “LOAD ENSEMBLE” MACRO?

@BurningTreeC I noticed with … [MCL] GitHub style TopBar that ENSEMBLES can be loaded on a click from the header!

That is brilliant!

I’m wondering if in MCL we might have a simple macro that will do that in wikitext like …

… look at <<ensemble “my-Docs-Stuff”>> …

… that might display as …

… look at my-Docs-Stuff

You get the idea?

Ensembles are really powerful ways of switching context quickly in an exact way.

Just a comment
TT

Hi @TiddlyTweeter,

that’s a brilliant Idea! I’ll create such a macro soon

Best wishes,
Simon

I just saw that in beta v77.0 @BurningTreeC significantly added to “Ensemble” saving.

Now you can save all opened Tiddlers (by “column-river”); Style customisations; Headers and Footers; and Page Templates & re-activate them on a single click.

Genius!
TT

I also saw it just now. But is it functional now. I removed the $:/tags/TopToolbar from $:/plugins/BTC/multi-column-github-toolbar/ui/TopToolBar
Then I created an ensemble with [[$:/plugins/BTC/multi-column-github-toolbar/ui/TopToolBar]] in the field for tiddlers to get $:/tags/TopToolbar tag when the ensemble is loaded.

But it was not working. Did you got it working?

Dunno. I have not tested it yet.
@BurningTreeC hasn’t actually publicly published it yet so it might still be “in process”?
I may have “jumped the gun” too early! :smiley:

I have no concern whether it will work. It will.

I simply wanted to highlight how brilliant MCL is.

Best, TT

I wasn’t complaining. I was just trying to check it out before I go to sleep.

Definitely @BurningTreeC is doing an amazing work.
Ensemble alone will give soo much more options and new ideas will develop around it.

1 Like

@BurningTreeC

I am using this filter [<now "DDth MMM YYYY">is[tiddler]] :else[default-tiddler[yes]] for Default Tiddlers in Info section of the control panel. This will show the Journal tiddler for that particular day as default tiddler if it’s already created , otherwise it will show the tiddlers based on the else filter.

In multicolumn, the tiddlers in the storyriver when we create an ensemble will be the Default Tiddlers in that ensemble when its reloaded. My question is that, can we manually set separate Default Tiddlers for each ensembles.

Specifically in a ensemble called Journal, I want the Journal tiddler of that particular day to be shown. Is it possible to add a filter like this [<now "DDth MMM YYYY">is[tiddler]] :else[default-tiddler[yes]]while we create an ensemble to get the corresponding Journal tiddler as the default tiddler in that ensemble.

From my testing with multicolumn, it’s seen that on pressing the Home button, the Default Tiddlers are loaded in the first column irrespective of the number of columns. Can we manually set the column number in which the Default Tiddlers should open - this might not be possible I guess. Just asking.

@BurningTreeC How does the $:/config/EmptyStoryMessage work in multicolumn ?

Hi @arunnbabu81

The way the empty-story message is implemented at the moment may change
Basically, a tiddler gets transcluded that has the title $:/EmptyMessage-<columnNumber>

Best wishes,
Simon

3 Likes

Comment On Ensembles #2: Persist Current Values In Inputs After Save?

Ciao @BurningTreeC

I’m not wanting to give you headaches!!!
Though I hope this makes sense!

One thing I was looking at is what happens when I save an ensemble.
Once it is saved you lose visual feedback on what you saved.

For my kind of usage it would help to keep the input values showing in the Ensemble saver even after save?

Why? So I can see what I have done.

For example IF this could persist, even after save until a different ensemble was loaded …

Hope this is clear.
Just a comment on this Domenica.
TT

UPDATE: I guess another, likely easier?, way would be to simply provide a link to the current Ensemble Tiddler when an Ensemble is loaded?

UPDATE 2: “Inspect your Ensembles at …” <<tree "$:/Story/">> gives, for instance …

Screenshot 2022-06-13 101158

You get the idea? Some way to know where you are and what you are doing? :smiley:

Just comments, TT

1 Like

Comment On Naming #1: We call it “MCL” – but is also “MRL” :smiley:

Ciao @BurningTreeC

As I’m working with MultiColumn Layout (MCL) and trying to document parts of it I suddenly realised that in TW terms it is a MultiRiver Layout (MRL)! :slight_smile:

I am amazed at how each Column/River can be used as-if it were an independent wiki river itself!

For instance every column can independently import Tiddlers.

In docs I will try and make this more explicit as I think it is radically useful to be clear about!

JUST a comment
TT

1 Like

It seem to be working now. Krystal is working fine in an ensemble of my MCL wiki

2 Likes

Don’t suppose you have a link for that?

Here is a demo

https://multicolumn-krystal.tiddlyhost.com/

There is a bug where the some of the tiddler contents are not seen at all (tiddler goes totally blank with even the buttons not visible). I have seen this bug in Krsytal before also. Have to report it in krystal github repo. If anyone has a solution of it, please share.

Sorry to say that on both FF & Chrome on Windows 10 I currently get RSODs …

… on FF …

… on Chrome …

TT