TiddlyDesktop: Other Language

Hello Guys!

I’m trying to configure TiddlyDesktop’s Chromium to work with another language. Could anyone tell me how to configure it through the command line?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

You need to be more specific, about what you want to change.

At the moment, the TW standard plugin importer shows that there are 32 languages available for the TW UI.

BUT only a view of them are 100% translated. … Most of them are only partially translated. This results in a “mixed” UI, since TW uses the default English texts as a fallback, if the translation is missing.

So if you want to improve 1 of them, that would be very welcome!

If you want to change the “management UI”, you’ll probably need to do deep dive into the TiddlyDesktop internals. See:

The TiddlyDesktop app itself is also a TiddlyWiki with a completely stripped down UI as shown in the image below.

As shown in the screenshot I did only need 1 click to BRICK the backstage area. …

WARNING: If you click the wrong buttons you can brick the backstage area!

WARNING: If you click the wrong buttons you can brick the backstage area!

But it should be doable from there for some testing. …

-mario

See prior thread(s).

I think what he means is that links from TD to files and/or directories with non-latin characters don’t work in Windows 10.

Hi Mark_S, Pmario and Guys!

Thank you Pmario. Your suggestion is welcome. Who knows, with a little more intimacy with Tiddlydesktop, I can also translate the interface into Brazilian Portuguese. It would be a good idea for anyone who wants a fully translated interface.

• OBJECTIVE: The aim is to find a way for example it will allow me to launch the TiddlyDesktop browser in “IE mode” or in some other way, help me to enable the built-in browser to recognize “tiddler links” to folders and files with Latin characters (Brazilian Portuguese).

ATTEMPT:

1. So at the moment I’m more focused more on the command line that is inside Tiddlydesktop’s package.json (“chromium-args”) or…
  2. Even on the Chromium flags, or…
  3. Some html command included in the main.html file (or other) that help me configure Tiddlydesktop’s Chromium browser.

NOTE: Perhaps the solution is not in any of these ways, but I’m trying several alternatives, because together with TW_Tones we tested the “local.hta” file the day before and there the “Internet Explorer” of Windows 10 managed to identify the path of the file (file:///C :\TEMP\Cláudio.txt). Note that the filename has the “á”.

HOPE: I think that maybe there is a way to make Tiddlydesktop’s browser also recognize this format of writing the filename, just activating some option in the browser, or including some html command in the configuration.

I believe that by solving this issue, it will not only help me, but also those who use Tiddlydesktop in a non-English version.

I’m open to new suggestions.

Thanks for your attention!

I think, it’s not a problem of some browser settings, but a weakness in the saver code itself.

I think the best way is to wait until Jeremy did respond to your Issue at GitHub

He probably didn’t have any time yet, since the release of 5.2.2 was the main priority, since the next Chrome and Edge release will break TW editing.

Hello @TW_Tones, @jeremyruston and Guys!

NEW TRY
In yet another attempt to isolate the problem, I decided to test links with and without latin characters in the open source version of Chromium.

RESULT:
. All link formats (with and without Latin characters) open the .txt file in the browser (displaying the file contents in a new tab).

DOUBT:
. In your comment Jeremy on the issue you said:

“Just to be clear, TiddlyDesktop is only intended to open TiddlyWiki HTML files. Other file types are passed to the default browser for opening.”

QUESTION:

1. In which TIDDLYDESKTOP file [.json (?) or othef file] is the default browser called to open the file?
  2. What is the internal difference in TIDDLYDESKTOP’s configuration that makes it open the .txt file in Notepad and in the normal browser makes it open in a new browser tab?

With this information I may be able to research the problem further. Can anyone tell?

Once again, thanks for your attention.

@Claudio_Rieper if i understand it correctly html links and text files opened from tiddlydesktop are opened with your computers default associations because it is acting like any other local application.

Thus nothing is encoded in tiddlydesktop.

Hello, TW_Tones!

Thanks for your return.

I understood that too. That’s why I ask in which file [.json (?) or other] this call happens. With that, I can maybe do some additional testing to study how this call is built and passed along.

Thanks.

It happens when you click on a link, than link is passed to the operating system to deliver.

So this question is in fact “incorrect” so an answer to it would be doubly so. At most we can ask where is the link written in the wiki.

I hope this helps.

To clarify then, does your key Objective remain as follows?

and the problem;

Tell me what you mean by “open in tiddlydesktop”.

Taking HELP TiddlyDesktop: Please, help me! into account my current hunch is your problem lies in the way you craft the link to local files, not the use of accented characters in the links. or alternatively what you are expecting to happen.

One way to explore this is in your browser see if you can browse your local file system. If so you will see the correct format in which to format the full path and filename. As before in chrome this worked typing/pasting in the address bar file://c:/TEMP/Cláudio.txt
if I copy the address bar I get file:///C:/TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio.txt (note the ///)
to start just go to file:///C:/TEMP/ and browse the files there.

Snag_39a6ca

Now using this link file:///C:/TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio.txt in a tiddler in a browser wiki or address bar opens the file in another tab.

In tiddlydesktop I added this to a tiddler;

file:///C:/TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio.txt

<object data="file:///C:/TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio.txt"></object>

The first creates a link that does not work for me;
The second successfully displays the content of file://c:/TEMP/Cláudio.txt

I hope this info helps you find your way.