HELP TiddlyDesktop: Please, help me!

Hey guys!

SUBJECT: Links to Internal Files (via file:///) in Windows 10.

PROBLEM: I use TiddlyDesktop-win64-v0.0.15-prerelease.2 on Windows 10. I am not able to use accented URLs (à á ó í é ã õ, etc) in TIDDLYDESKTOP.

EXAMPLE (Lines of Code in TIDDLER):

1. Claudio TEST: [[WINDOWS|file:///C:\TEMP\Claudio.txt]]
  2. Cláudio TEST: [[WINDOWS|file:///C:\TEMP\Cláudio.txt]]

RESULT: The second link does not open the referenced file. In the first link, TIDDLYDESKTOP opens the FILE in Windows Notepad.
Note: The only difference is the acute accent in my name.

IMPORTANT POINTS:

1. If I open the Tiddlywiki (.html) file in CHROME, FIREFOX or EDGE Browser, both links will work, displaying the contents of the .txt file in the browser.
  2. Only the second one will not work in TIDDLYDESKTOP.

POSSIBILITIES:

1. Is there any setting in TIDDLYDESKTOP’s Embedded Chromium Browser that needs to be done for it to recognize these characters?

2. Is there any HTML instruction that can be included internally in the html file to correct this situation? In addition to this command:

meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content=“text/html;charset=utf-8”

3. Is there a specific downloadable version of TIDDLYDESKTOP that fixes this issue?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s attention.

Cláudio Rieper

• When accessing files, the filename needs to be valid in the local filesystems naming convention
  • When using URL’s they need also to comply with various naming rules.
  • The Browser address bar actively supports the user in this by encoding and decoding in many cars

Perhaps try browsing to the file system file:///C:\TEMP\ in the browser address bar, then click on your Cláudio.txt file and capture the content of the browser address bar for this file. It may have additional encoding, now use that as the address in tiddlywiki and in your case TiddlyDesktop.

If you need to automate this, there are tools/operators etc… such as encode or slugify etc in Tiddlywiki.

Let us know how you go.

Thank you so much, TW_tones!

I tried to apply your suggestion, but unfortunately it gave the same result mentioned above.

1. TESTE Cláudio:’’ [[WINDOWS|file:///C:/TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio.txt]]
  2. TESTE Claudio:’’ [[WINDOWS|file:///C:\TEMP\Claudio.txt]]

As in the previous example. The second link opens both in TIDDLYDESKTOP and in the browser. But the first link only opens in browser, not in TIDDLYDESKTOP.

I keep getting the feeling that Tiddlydesktop lacks some additional configuration (eg Chromium Flags, html command or some missing resource) for it to be able to recognize the link. But I don’t know how to solve it.

Thanks for listening.

You are welcome. TiddlyDesktop uses a subset of the chromium browser to display tiddlywiki’s. I expect there is a way to encode your link such that it is valid in Tiddlydesktop so don’t give up.

However using Firefox and emulating your file I came up with this address file:///C:///TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio.txt and copying this into Chrome also works. So Try this.

However perhaps you could submit an issue to the github project for tiddlydesktop here Issues · Jermolene/TiddlyDesktop · GitHub

Hello TW_Tones!

Thanks again for taking your time. But unfortunately the result of the previous test persists.

As you suggested, I will post the question on Tiddlydesktop’s GitHub. I hope it is possible to resolve the issue, as it will avoid having to modify all folders and files so that they do not have accented characters.

If other people can help. I’m open to other suggestions.

So far, thanks for your attention.

Hi TW_Tones and Guys!

Two questions to ask.

1. Do I need to configure TiddlyDesktop for Brazilian Portuguese to make the links work? How do I do that?

2. Where can I check on the system in Windows 10 if the filename is valid and is within the naming convention of local filesystems?

Thanks for your attention!

I am not sure this is necessary but I must admit I have it easy using english. I am NOW installing TiddlyDesktop to see if I can see your problem, because it’s been a while I have used TiddlyDesktop

Your Cláudio.txt even Cláudioà á ó í é ã õ.txt seems valid on Windows 11 but how to address the local files in TiddlyDesktop seems to be the issue you are facing.

Hi TW_Tones!

Our! Thank you so much for taking care of the matter. I’ve tried so many things and I’ve researched so much, that at the moment, it seems like a dead end.

ATTEMPTS:

1. During my research, I noticed that the open source version of Chromium has some options to configure the command line inside the package.json file as --lang=pt_BR, pt-BR or even “pt-BR”. But it had no effect.

2. Another attempt was to include the command line: html lang=“pt-br” inside the Tiddlydesktop main.html file, but that didn’t work either.

I believe my knowledge is limited to try to solve the problem myself. Thank you very much!

@Claudio_Rieper while I install TiddlyDesktop (something is making this take forever) I also know that is you use the hta method you have access to the local files. Download an empty.html and rename it to local.hta then double click it to open. It uses some legacy support from Internet Explorer (even if not installed). Try your local file references there to see if you can isolate the problem.

1 Like

Hi TW_Tones!

Okay, I’ll try!

Hi TW_Tones!

I tried what you suggested. I downloaded an empty.html file from TiddlyDesktop itself (index.html) and renamed it to (local.hta) and fired the file. Internet Explorer opened the file. The results follow below:

1. Cláudio TEST: [[WINDOWS|file:///C:\TEMP\Cl%C3%A1udio.txt]] (Suggested by TW_Tones)
  • The browser did not recognize the path. He asked if that was really the way.
  1. OTHER LINKS…
    Cláudio TEST: [[WINDOWS|file:///C:\TEMP\Cláudio.txt]]
    and…
    Claudio TEST: [[WINDOWS|file:///C:\TEMP\Claudio.txt]]
  • Both links made the browser display the content of Cláudio.txt or Claudio.txt.

So far the results have been.

I have successfully reproduced your problem in TiddlyDesktop on Windows 11. The “accented” file fails to open. The non-accented one does open, but in my case in NotePad++ which is the default for txt files.

Out of interest I created the file Cláudioà á ó í é ã õ.txtto test the other accents you spoke of, this has the same problem. however this little experiment works, it displays the content in the tiddler;

<object data="file:///C:/TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio%C3%A0%20%C3%A1%20%C3%B3%20%C3%AD%20%C3%A9%20%C3%A3%20%C3%B5.txt" width="300" height="200"></object>

Interestingly Lets try and encode the filename using filters;
{{{ [[file:///C:\TEMP\Cláudio.txt]] +[encodeuri[]] }}}

• If you copy the result from the above it works if pasted into the FireFox address bar and looks like this file:///C:%5CTEMP%5CCl%C3%A1udio.txt
  • However if your copy this into the chrome address bar it fails, and looks like this C:/%5CTEMP%5CCl%C3%A1udio.txt
    • Edit this to read correctly file:///C:/TEMP/Cláudio.txt and it opens the file in the browser tab.
  • As a link however neither file:///C:/TEMP/Cláudio.txt or file:///C:/TEMP/Cl%C3%A1udio.txt work from the TiddlyDesktop wiki.

Remember TiddlyDesktop is built on top of a version of Chromium so this possibly points to the problem.

We are learning more but no solution yet.

Hi TW_Tones!

I can only say thank you for the size of the effort to see this together.
At least it became clear to me, that it is no longer just my lack of experience in the matter.

So, in my humble perception, I believe the solution is still in the “Chromium browser configuration”, perhaps through the Chromium flags. Or even through some html command internally in one of the Tiddlydesktop configuration files.

So far, thank you very much TW_Tones for working together.

1 Like

Hi TW_Tones and everyone!

SOLUTION
With great joy, after many comings and goings, I managed to find a palliative solution to the problem of links within Tiddler with special characters or accents when executed within TiddlyDesktop (links with accents and special characters did not work). As follows the step-by-step script to work around the problem:

1. Take the file with special characters or accent and create a shortcut in the same directory.
  2. Then rename the link file “.lnk” to a name without accents and special characters.
  3. Transport the shortcut file to a directory that doesn’t have any special characters or accents in its “path” (preferably in the root, where the “.html” file that TiddlyDesktop will use is located).
  4. In Tiddler create an external link for the shortcut. When the link with the shortcut is clicked on TiddlyDesktop, it will launch the program installed on Windows 10 to open the file, even with accents and special characters, as follows:

[ext[LINK Tiddler-via-SHORTCUT-without-accent => pointing-to-file-with-Accent|D:\TEMP\Claudio-with-accent-txt-shortcut.lnk]]

Thanks for everyone’s effort and help, especially for the time TW_Tones took to help me.