Storing Tiddlers in the Clipboard

I made this a while ago but relied on a PR to work. I thought I would share it properly now that the PR was merged in 2.3.

This is a Tamper Monkey script that works as an example for using JS to store a tiddler in the clipboard. This particular script allows you to highlight some text, right-click it, move down to the tamper monkey menu, and hit copy as tiddler.

It would be relatively easy to create a copy-and-paste tiddler plugin if the demand exists.

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Copy as Tiddler
// @version      0.1
// @description  Copies text to a tiddler format.
// @author       You
// @match        *://*/*
// @run-at   context-menu
// ==/UserScript==

function getSelectionText() {
    var text = "";
    if (window.getSelection) {
        text = window.getSelection().toString();
    } else if (document.selection && document.selection.type != "Control") {
        text = document.selection.createRange().text;
    }
    return text;
}

(function() {
    'use strict';

const data = {
         url: window.location.href,
         text: getSelectionText(),
         title: document.title,
     };

/*
    This is the way you are supposed to do it. TiddlyWiki does not support it at the time of writing this.
    The way I do it is depricated.

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/web-custom-formats-for-the-async-clipboard-api/

navigator.clipboard.write([
      new window.ClipboardItem({
        ["web URL"]: "data:text/vnd.tiddler," + encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(data)),
      }),
    ]);
    */

function listener(e) {
        e.clipboardData.setData("URL", "data:text/vnd.tiddler," + encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(data)));
        e.preventDefault();
    }

document.addEventListener("copy", listener);
    document.execCommand("copy");
    document.removeEventListener("copy", listener);
})();
4 Likes

This is originally from this thread a while back which gives information about doing this with drag-and-drop boxes if any is curious:

Something I just remembered to add, This probably won’t work in firefox, but it should work in every other major browser. Firefox is really strict about what can be stored in the clipboard.

Intriguing. Did you try it? I use only Firefox all-day, every day, work (sleep) and play. I use TM a lot, too, along with AHK, making my “TW life” much, much easier. I don’t recall ever having an issue with FF and clipboard data.

Actually looking at the specific implementation I have above it might still work, but firefox generally does not like wonky data types like the ones for tiddlers. There is also a bunch of stuff like this all over the clipboard docs.