[Release] Codemirror6 Plugin

Am I correct in assuming CM5 will need to be completely removed (and all sub-plugins) before installing CM6?

The suggestion is to delete all related plugins of cm5 (if you don’t need them), but in fact there is no conflict between cm5 and cm6.

codemirror6 plugin has a builtin a pluginlibrary now.

3 Likes

codemirror6 plugin has an option to enable system tiddler completion

2 Likes

Support Ctrl-J and Ctrl-K to move completion items(like arrow key) now.

tiddlywiki cm6 plugin is now adding link preview function

link-preview

1 Like

Amazing!
Thank you for sharing! The plugin size is a concern, is it possible to micronize it and let users decide on features they like and install by demand?
Also it would be great if it works with the autocomplete plugin from EvidentlyCube, as it has a very flexible structure and lets you configure it for fields.

for the plugin size, I currently think there is no way to achieve the same as cm5. cm6 requires the use of a build system. The minimum size of cm6 can be reduced to about 600 to 700kb. If some built-in themes or extensions are added, it will be larger. cm6 scalability is very powerful, just like another tiddlywiki

I just took a look at the completion plugin of EvidentlyCube. The completion module of cm6 can completely replace it and has better scalability.

1 Like

But if the user does not want to add some features, such as code highlighting support for multiple languages, some additional extensions, such as minmap vim, can also be removed during the build. I have not tried it, but it is expected to be between 300kb and 500kb

1 Like

It would be useful to see if extensions like code highlighting, minmap and vim keybindings can be packed as subplugins for those that want to use them, while having the main cm6 plugin smaller and more focused on the essentials. The CodeMirror5 plugin takes this approach so that could be useful as inspiration for the pattern to follow.

@oeyoews I have not yet seen an answer to @jeremyruston’s question.

I am a little confused as to where I should go to get Codemirror 6. I and a few others worked with @BurningTreeC to test and review leading to CodeMirror 6 plugin (alpha)

In fact, each cm6 plugin does not occupy a large space. They all rely on the core plugin of cm6. However, cm6 does not have a very clear entry function. It is difficult to separate the core plugin.

This can only have obvious benefits for larger extensions. For example, vimmode occupies 110kb (min.js), and has little effect on other extensions.

This is what it looked like minimally without any extensions

I don’t have a better way for now. If you have any better ideas, please let me know. Here is the source code. https://github.com/oeyoews/tiddlywiki-codemirror6/blob/main/src/tiddlywiki-codemirror-6/engine.ts

I want to give my statement here, as users are asking which cm6 plugin they should install.

@oeyoews cm6 builds on top of my plugin and extends it with very useful features in a way I couldn’t achieve.

@oeyoews extensions are written in typescript which I’m not familiar with, but it’s convenient to do so because the codemirror 6 documentation is in typescript.

I for now keep my plugin version as long as @oeyoews is developing.

What I’d like to see is a well thought-out system of subplugins, for example vim mode, which is for a fraction of users, not for everybody

I’d also like to see documentation in English and I would help and contribute for that.
I looked at the code and saw comments in Chinese (or another language I cannot read) and that kept me from contributing because I don’t understand anything.

I’d like to hear from @oeyoews if he thinks that the plugin is out from alpha/beta or if things will still change a lot

Thank you,
Simon

Hi @BurningTreeC,
do you still fix your version?

@BurningTreeC: Yes, it is…

Thanks, Stefan

Let me analyze the basic situation of cm6 occupying the top three

cm6(basic): 400kb
markdown language support: 200kb
vim extension: 100kb

I’d also like to have a pluggable sub-plugin system (I can’t help it).

I just made a basic branch, which only retains the necessary functions (563kb)

https://github.com/oeyoews/tiddlywiki-codemirror6/blob/basic/index.html

For now, the cm6 plugin relies on extensions to implement new feature, so it is very stable and will basically not undergo major changes.

The code has basically not changed. The only change from js to ts is that I used class instead of function prototype.

I want each feature added to be a separate module file, because I don’t want to maintain a file with thousands of lines in the future, like tiddlywiki’s boot.js file

The shortcut key mapping of codemirror6 will be affected by the global shortcut keys of tiddlywiki. For example, your editortoolbar has a shortcut key mapping of ctrl-f. If possible, please send a reproducible html. We cannot guess what your tiddlywiki has.

I think that is pretty good. Is it possible to make this the default distribution of the plugin and create plugins for markdown and vim support?