Multi-Column Layout / Storyview

@BurningTreeC I am on a long journey now and I will give feedback once I reach home today night.

1 Like

Hi @JanJo ,

Yeah it’s pretty sophisticated and it’s been a lot of work

You mean a macro that creates a single column that is drag&drop enabled? I don’t understand.

Exactly, a macro could enable users to create a column of tiddlers in the sidebar for example.
I imagine this would be the best space for the widgets in my classroom screen

@BurningTreeC
After checking out the new column header feature, I thought of an idea. If we can add tiddlers to a particular column of an ensemble by just providing a filter as the fieldvalue for the field corresponding to each column in the ensemble tiddler.
For example, all tiddlers with ToDo tags will populate under the column 1 (with the header say ToDo) if the story-1 field of the ensemble has fieldvalue [tag[ToDo]]

Also can any of the design elements of muuri kanban be reproduced in MCL .

1 Like

Hi @JanJo,

I will see if at the end of the overhaul there’s time and will to create such a macro.
I can’t versprechen anything

1 Like

@BurningTreeC
Just sharing some ideas. I don’t think it is easily doable.

https://twitter.com/azlenelza/status/1267149341199757313/photo/1

How about making the columns collapsible like in the image shown above ?

Provide buttons at the top of each column to expand and collapse the column, to enter the filter for the story field (corresponding to each column) of that ensemble

Sometimes i would like to give more than just one like for an Antwort.

@arunnbabu81

That’s maybe possible

What would you like to see reproduced?

1. Give each column a color theme - for the column header, borders and the tiddler borders
  2. Hide the unwanted UI elements of a tiddler in ensemble with Kanban stylesheet.
  3. Provide tiddler controls like like in muuri kanban which are visible only on hover.
  4. Double click on tiddlers to edit them.

@BurningTreeC

Some more ideas for MCL

1. Double click a tiddler to make it into full-screen mode and next double click will bring the tiddler back to normal mode (something similar to what you have done with muuri kanban)
  2. Any way to set the number of tiddlers allowed to open in a column (Dedicated field to set the number of tiddlers for an ensemble)

EDIT:

1. Ability to pin columns in an ensemble (to either right or left side)

I almost forgot how smooth muuri works. Drag and drop seems to look even better there

Hi @JanJo ,

yes, the muuri Drag&Drop is indeed smoother

I’ll see if I can optionally combine the multi-column Layout with the muuri storyview

2 Likes

Hi all,

now you can test on the website how the multi-column layout works with the muuri storyview

simply change the storyview to “muuri” in the sidebar’s “Tools” tab

5 Likes

@BurningTreeC
Currently if there are two columns, column-1 has tiddler-1 and tiddler-2, column-2 has tiddler-3 and tiddler-4.
If I use keyboardshortcut to remove the second column, column-2 will disappear. Now if I want to see the see the tiddlers in column-2 again, what should I do ? If I create a new column using keyboardshortcut, the newly formed column will be empty. Is there any way to retain the tiddler in the column-2 and similarly for other columns. Can a configurable option be added to retain tiddler history of each column or something similar ?

@BurningTreeC I’ve only just had a look at this but am very impressed :slight_smile:

One feature suggestion I have is for a column to automatically disappear if it is empty. I can see that holding shift and clicking a link will open the tiddler in a new column, but if the tiddler is then closed the column persists.

This is how the multi-column feature of stroll behaves, and it is extremely useful.

If there is already a way to do this please let me know! I did go through the settings but couldn’t see anything.

1 Like

Hi @Sii

no, this feature doesn’t exist (yet) but I’ll try implementing it. Your idea is very good.
I’ll let you know here when it’s done

Best wishes,
Simon

4 Likes

I too can see value in this.

Just please make it a clear option because say when we are using MCL as a kanban bord we will be trying to reduce the items in a column to zero but with no desire for the columns to “disappear”.

Love the work @BurningTreeC

I suppose the question may be can this be a global, or column wise or both option?

2 Likes

Hi @Sii

I am thinking about your idea

The problem that arises is that an empty column can also be in the middle - say column 3 of 5.
I cannot close that column when it’s empty. I can close only columns at the end. That’s because the column list depends on a correctly numbered list of columns.

Now thinking about it, maybe it’s possible
But then I’d need to rename all the single story lists and history lists of each column and that’s possibly error prone

Writing this answer the idea became clearer in my head. I’ll give it a try and report back.
What’s sure is, that this will be a configuration option users must explicitly opt in to.

Best wishes,
Simon

1 Like

Greetings @BurningTreeC

Thank you for creating this plugin.

I added this cool plugin to my tiddlywiki (v5.3.1) but I get this error:

How do I fix this?

1 Like

Hello @Sparrow ,

this error has to do with the codemirror (5) plugin
Try uninstalling it for now. It says there are some dependencies missing