Multi-Column Layout / Storyview

Hello @Sparrow ,

this error has to do with the codemirror (5) plugin
Try uninstalling it for now. It says there are some dependencies missing

Very well. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello @Sparrow

When installing the codemirror plugin be careful what additional codemirror subplugins you install
There are some subplugins that need other subplugins installed. In the description of those subplugins you should see which ones

If the codemirror 6 plugin would be out of alpha, I would recommend that one as the preferred editor

Hi @Sii

I have your desired functionality working. Later today I’ll update the plugin page with the new plugin version

1 Like

@BurningTreeC These are some of my previous suggestions. Now that you are back working on MCL, do you think any of these are implementable ?

I would need to keep track of the last closed tiddler. At the moment this doesn’t seem actionable to me

This proposal totally clashes with the way MCL works and is not actionable

you can already do that, each column can be addressed by CSS.
tc-river-1 for the CSS class of the first column and so on.
I strongly recommend inspect MCL with the browser’s built-in inspector to see the classes

I want to be able to select text by double clicking, so I will not implement this, sorry. There’s a button for that and it’s one click away, not two

What do you mean by that?

No, that’s against the way columns are layed out in MCL. Pinning isn’t possible

Yes, I wasn’t quite sure about this when I implemented it. I’ll see if I can make it configurable

Best wishes,
Simon

Hi all,

version 0.84.57 is online

• there’s a configuration option in the Control Panel to close columns when the last tiddler is closed
  • another configuration option to preserve the content of closed columns

That’s all
Simon

2 Likes

@BurningTreeC
If all the tiddlers in a column are closed using the close viewtoolbar button, the column gets removed automatically.
But if I use the keyboard shortcut to move tiddlers from one column to another and if in doing so if a column becomes empty, that column is not getting automatically removed. Can this be fixed ?

Hi @arunnbabu81

That should now be fixed :slight_smile:

Although I like what I see of this layout, I haven’t had any call to use it, so I haven’t followed the conversation closely. But I am wondering if instead of columns closing, they collapsed into a vertical row just wide enough for some sideways text describing the column. There are many examples of this online, including in some Kanban systems, but the first one that I can think of is Codepen. You can drag the column dividers to change widths, and when you get small enough it’s just a sideways title bar. (There’s also a cute animation for the final switch, but that’s not at all crucial.)

Would this be a useful model? And if so, does anyone know just how easy or difficult it might be to achieve?

@BurningTreeC Why configuration options are incomplete in my wiki

I think this would be a good idea for tiddlywiki in general and need not be part of MCL.

I believe I may know how to do this and once we have it we can look at its operation within MCL.

Let us start a new topic. Undo close tiddler shortcut?

1 Like

Hi @Scott_Sauyet

This would indeed be a useful model
I don’t know if the combination of flexbox CSS and the way how this Layout creates the columns makes it possible to achieve such a layout that you describe
I’ll think about it and let you know!

Best wishes,
Simon

Hi @arunnbabu81

In the process of creating MCL I didn’t pay attention to the naming of the configuration tiddlers.
That’s because in the configuration panel they are filtered by tag $:/tags/MultiColumn/Config and that tag is new since version 0.85.0
That means that all modified configuration tiddlers from before that version don’t have that tag

To resolve that issue, delete them. Then they will appear as configuration options in the control panel.
Their names start with $:/config/story-river/ or $:/config/panel/

1 Like

May I suggest some kind of a navigation bar for each column as illustrated below? It doesn’t have to be necessary, maybe users can opt to use it or not.

1 Like

Hi @Sparrow

I think this would become cluttered if there are many tiddlers open in a single story river
Maybe a dropdown?

3 Likes

That’s an even better idea.

@BurningTreeC

A graphical ‘glitch’ happens, i.e. the excise prompt gets '“cut”, when I try to excise contents of a tiddler. This happens when there are two columns. See picture below

Also, one workaround the problem is to expand the width of the column containing the tiddler one wants to excise the contents of:

Can you also possibly look into adding the save/file changes indicator as seen from the picture below? The reason I’m asking is that I sometimes forget to save my tiddlywiki file when I use the plugin. Also, it is cumbersome to expand the sidebar just to see if there is/are new tiddler modification(s)/addition(s).