Error screen: ResizeObserver loop limit exceeded ?!

Hi fellow TIddlywikians,

ResizeObserver loop limit exceeded

This is a new TW error screen I encountered on chrome - while on FF all seemed to work fine.
Anyone else ran into this recently (or after the last upgrade) ?
Is there a cure?

After clicking this away and saving this did not appear on reload. I leave the bug for investigation.

This is the site Classroom.Wiki (but it is a little difficult to analyze because the controls are hidden and appear on overing the left side.This is for my class so I try to keep distractions away)

If this is happening without any custom JavaScript involved, it is more of a Chrome quirk than a TW core issue.

See also:

1 Like

I came here looking for help with this same error. I saw it for the first time today when attempting to _canonical_uri a mp3. The tiddler displays fine in Firefox and Safari, but not in Chrome. In Chrome, it seems to be dependant upon window size. If the width of my browser is small enough, the tiddler displays fine and no error appears (browser window or console/devtools).

I saw there was a workaround of sorts for videos. Is there something similar for audio/mp3? Surely this could be handled in TW5 somehow?

Does the wiki linked above create that problem?
How can I reproduce it?
Does it also happen with Edge? (I don’t have Chrome on any of my computers)

It also happend here:
http://szen.io/landing/
when switching from the Landing-Layout to the normal Layout. Somehow I managed to reduce the impact of the animation, so it does not happen anymore.

Allegedly, you can safely ignore this error.

Yes, this one, but the RSOD is the core top-level protection when severe problems happen.

We should NOT teach our users to ignore this message … The only way to go is to fix the underlaying problem … Eveything else will cause data-loss for some users.

I know… but I want to avoid the error-message, disturbing my visitors

It seems that page does not contain any code the activates the resize-observer. That’s probably the reason, why there is no problem anymore

Hi @pmario, that is what I say. For a visitor who will not be in the need to save this risk does not exist.

That does not really matter. There will be code which may brick the wiki because of that message. Without any feedback the behaviour is even worse.

Hi @pmario this error has been discussed before:

https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/vXVLQD58yPQ/m/0f8vPFPtGwAJ

We should definitely do something about it

1 Like

I clearly agree. That’s why I said “allegedly”. But I didn’t see mention of RSOD. If it’s merely a display timing issue (see the SO post) and displayed only in the console, it’s unlikely to cause data loss.

I’m willing to spend time to fix the underlaying problem. Discussing if it makes sense to block the message is wasting time. Sorry to be so direct.

1 Like

TW catches all errors thrown with the RSOD (red screen of distraction), that tells the user that something very wrong is going on.

So the way to go is to use a try catch at the (plugin) code level. If the catch is missing TW will show the RSOD … And that’s the problem here.

We need to identify the offending code and fix it there. … To do so, we will need a wiki which lets us reproduce the problem. From there it should be fixable.

As I recall the last discussion, the error in question is actually generated by the browser and is triggered in some way by video playback with the HTML5 <video> element.

FWIW, I can reproduce the RSOD easily with an mp3 / audio tiddler I have in my wiki, so it isn’t limited to that video tag. I’m willing to grant access to devs if need be.

Thank you it would be very helpful to be able to replicate the issue.

@Naenyn has kindly shared their wiki, but unfortunately I am still unable to duplicate the problem on my iMac. I’ve got an older laptop that I’ll give a try.