Could we have a feature to deactivate error-screens under certain contitions?

Some error-message show the very frightening red error screen with errors that are not lethal and sometimes not even persistent.
Like this resizer-observer problem , or a js where a depecated element is mentioned that is not really missing.

These messages are usefull and necessary when I am coding… but not for mere visitors of the site.
Using TW5 in education I already had to experience that an errorscreen can be used as an exuse not to do the homework .

So it would be very good, if we could define circumstances when error-screens are not shown .

But they can be lethal especially if plugins create them. IMO there is no way to allow the tab to be active after a RSOD has been shown.

We simply don’t know what happened. So deactivating that message would probably the biggest mistake we can make.

Fixing the problem is the way to go here.

This is of course what the admin of a site should do.
But visitors/readers cannot fix anything - they just experience that the site in not working and even seems to be dangerous.

Maybe you could just style it with less aggressive colours?

1 Like

Because it is dangerous to work with that site.

Whenever possible the TW code fails silently. It’s like the yellow lights in your car. It’s just a warning.

If the RSOD is shown there is a severe problem.
If the red lights in your car come up you better stop it immediately. It’s exactly the same thing here.

Where does this message come up? I personally have never seen it. May be because TW does not use the resize observer.

So if there is a problem with a plugin IMO the plugin author needs to fix that.

To my mind this is the paradox-backside of the problems state in this thread:
While no saving mechanism is chosen, users may gain the impression that they are already saving in TW - (of course there is a warning… but you know how users are.)
On the other hand, someone who is just reading and not intending to save at all, gets warnings in a color signaling that his computer is probably going to explode saying that something went wrong though this most probably wont have any effect on the reading experience at all.

We should have a read-only mode where these messages do not occur
and an edit-mode where - if no saving-mechanism is set - Users are responsibly informed that unless you set a save mechanism or download the wiki all edits are lost.

1 Like

Read only error on specially flagged wikis offer to reload?

1 Like