Could GG posts here contain link to original?

What the title says. It is annoying to have to manually open a new browser tab and go to GG etc.

Even better; could a GG thread here contain multiple links to the original thread, i.e a link between each post in the thread?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn’t find it.

1 Like

Right! TBH, the whole, ongoing GG repost-to-discourse thing is a bit of a “cleft stick”.

I just made two posts about issues with it I stumbled upon …

and …

I do think it is neat to have the old GG relayed to here. But is is more of a mess than I think has been fully realised! It needs work?

Your points are definitely relevant IMO.

Just saying
TT

I think it may have been asked before. I’ll see about putting a meta-faq together that answers various things.

Short answer: no, it’s just a mirror for an email address that is subscribed to the gg.

This is a convenient built in functionality of Discourse, to mirror mailing lists. We don’t really have any control over this unless someone volunteers to write custom email parsing code.

OK, that’s a pity. Thanks for reply.

I believe the solution I suggested last time was that a mod could add to the thread a note with a link to the original item and pin it to the top. Echoing every single post would be too much.

Edit: It seems like the only way to do this is to edit the first post. However, individuals have expressed outrage when their posts have been edited, even to fix them, so I guess that’s off the table.

I believe the solution I suggested last time was that a mod could add to the thread a note with a link to the original item and pin it to the top. Echoing every single post would be too much.

Even expecting a single link would be too much IMO. Do consider that if it properly performed then people will expect it (and assume it is automated) and get upset if it doesn’t work. I’m no mod but I’d be sad to see mods get burnt out.