A new way to read ebooks in TiddlyWIki

@oflg : Have you already had a look on

http://tiddlymap.org/

A lot of the features are already there.
What would be needed is a more flexible representation/transclusion of tiddlers in the Map.

I’ve seen it, and the Echarts plugin. None of them can render wikitext on the graph.

3 Likes

Neat, this is a really interesting set of additional tools.

(I have also had a note to read through the TiddlyMap code to get wikitext rendering onto the canvas for a little while, but things and stuff and life. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

Perhaps StoryView is a viable approach.

Maybe use lots of wikify to get doms of tiddlers and insert doms into echarts. I’m gonna try this in WYSIWYG editor.

2 Likes

I think GoJS may work.

1 Like

https://jermolene.com/cecily/

This looks interesting. But it is based on TW Classic I guess.

The Cecily plug in for TW5 has limited functionality I guess. It can be installed from the official tiddlywiki plug in library.

1 Like

50x50

Again an impressive library…but should we discuss on what library to focus. This would be the fifth major visualizing library implemented to TW - only as far as I know I am sure there is more.

• d3.js
  • echarts
  • vis.js which is the basis of TiddlyMap and TiddlyTimeline
  • three.js

plus mermaid and some other more specialized libs…
Should we launch a discussion which is supposed to be the most powerfull branch?

Apart from this: Great attempt to develop TW in this direction, I have been longing for a tool like this for long.

BTW:
Here is a great demonstration how mapping knowledge might work (in german alas)

the tool was called IMapping and presented a mixture between pinboard mindmap and conceptmap.
It is now converted into Infinitymaps Example and explanation
It is also based on cards.

The following views are my own.

• Vis.js is old and can be completely replaced by other visualization libraries.
  • d3.js can do anything, but is more like a programming language than a tool, is not suitable for the average user, and does not render efficiently. Good for prototyping but not for products.
  • echarts focuses on data visualization and is excellent at data representation but not good at other visualizations such as flowcharts.
  • gojs is good at doing visualization rendering like UML.
  • three.js I haven’t used, but I think it’s more suitable for 3D animation rendering.
  • mermaid is just easy to use but can be replaced by gojs in terms of functionality.
3 Likes

It looks nice. It would be better if it could have a relationship line.

@jeremyruston how do you envision cecily story view to evolve in the future

I started a new thread to discuss some design sketches that show my original plans for Cecily in TiddlyWiki 5:

But to answer your question more directly, one thing that has changed since I did the original Cecily prototype in 2008 is that there have been a string of commercial and open source products that embody that central idea of an infinite 2D canvas onto which one can slide resizable panels, with pan-and-zoom as the primary navigation metaphor.

Most famously, there was Presi. Now one of the most interesting examples that I know of is Muse, an iPad app:

So, one good thing is that I have had the opportunity to play around with some very polished and sophisticated implementations of the basic idea. I’ve found that the original metaphor that I was attracted to is actually not sufficient to make a functional user interface. There’s too much scrolling and squinting, and the UI affordances don’t help with obvious use cases (“arrange all the tiddlers tagged foobar in a square”). Zoomable user interfaces have always been primarily concerned with navigation.

It’s still an area I think about a lot, but haven’t got to the point where implementation work has risen to the top of my stack.

7 Likes

Hi @jeremyruston the possibility to organize and present in a visual/spacial way like in muse or prezi? would be fantastic! Another great opensource-tool/library which could help to achieve this could be

https://impress.js.org

Thank you for replying. Excited to see how all these will develop in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for impress.js link!

I did a deep dive into Prezi a few years back, and worked it hard for a couple conferences, until I got frustrated with some limitations (such as: only one style for each text block, so no academic Author, Title citations, plus how long I would spend tweaking its effects to get them just right and not make viewers feel seasick…), and with the opacity of getting Prezi to respond to customers on such issues – even paying ones.

I’ll check this out!

Hello @Springer,
If you like impress.js, you should have a look at

http://strut.io/dist/index.html

which is a free online editor for it, developed as open source on GitHub

1 Like

Impress is a very low level library. There is no “offline” editor library at the moment. So it’s very hard to create something useful. … But the impress.js library itself is cool, if you know how to configure it.

The design looks very creative.
Visual needs are always a low priority, so there is no rush to change and implement.