TiddlyWiki Cheat Sheet(s)

I’m always looking for different ways to learn / retain knowledge of TiddlyWiki & wikitext. I use a great open source language for data science called R and one of the cool learning tools that people put together for R are cheat sheets. There’s base R, and then over time (it’s been around a while) packages that are extremely popular have been added. I actually print out the main cheat sheets and literally keep some (about 8 usually) with me during work at all times for handy reference. It reminds me of rpg video games back in the 90s where you had to remember a fair bit of stuff. They’re all setup to print in nice color, double-sided single page. I know that sounds a little old-school, but I think there are some old-school folks in the TW club too :slight_smile:

Here’s an example (one side of two) of one of the most popular R Packages - dplyr

RStudio Cheatsheets - RStudio

Similar to some of these packages in R, within wikitext there’s a lot of syntax to remember, and so I’ve been mulling over putting together something like this for TW. Maybe one side is ALL filter operators as that’s what I’m referring to the most by far, and then the other side is for everything else. Anyways, just a thought, and curious if anyone has already made something similar?

3 Likes

There have being some in the past, but I am all for it, built on TiddlyWiki is also the best and the ability to expand to more detail on the interactive one good, if not usable once printed to PDF.

Actually a TiddlyWiki Edition designed for creating cheat Sheets for anyone would be effort well spent.

I agree. The guides are good but they aren’t for me. I get lost in the slightest verbosity.

I tried it some time ago (for me), but it is hard to find how to order the info. TiddlyWiki isn’t a tool, it is a complete ecosystem. I had doubts about the order with filtered transclusión and transclusion inside of the filters. How can I ordered without adding confusion/mess?

I tried to make a complete reference here of particular aspects. I think sometimes you need a definitive resource from which to extract a cheat sheet, not the other way around.

Perhaps the cheat sheet could be a plugin you add to tiddlywiki.com and it extracts parts of existing documentation to present on the cheat sheet, even if we add a new summary to each documented item that forms the parts of the cheat sheet. This leverages existing content and enhances it rather than building a totally separate resource that will require its own maintenance.

That’s a totally reasonable caution, but I think the value of a cheat sheet (as separate from full documentation) is it’s more of a “quick reference” for the most common items. There are too many operators in total even to be included in one cheat sheet. On TiddlyWiki — a non-linear personal web notebook there is a column for “common”, and I’d think we’d use that as a starting point. I’ll see if I can maintain interest in the concept long enough to put one together and we can use that as a starting point for critiquing.

the value of a cheat sheet (as separate from full documentation) is it’s more of a “quick reference” for the most common items

Agreed, but no harm building it on top of tiddlywiki.com

Here’s one someone linked to before. I exported it and put in a tiddler called Toolbox Markup Reference.