A multi-column Layout / Storyview

I don’t see (being an idiot) an easy way round it with the Right Sidebar (RS). Why? Because the RS visually will, by nature, obscure anything under it. (I did try make the RS variably transparent so you could see loading tiddlers below it. But it was a confusing mess and I abandoned the idea).

TBH, as I’m looking at MCL now, there is “maker mode” where visibility on loads matters where maybe the tools should not overlay columns? And an “end-user mode” where no such issues arise.

Just thoughts, TT

@BurningTreeC this is clearly a very popular innovation of yours, I am also very keen to make use of it and have my own supporting tweaks other may include, but it is a now a very long thread.

I hope once this stabilises we can start a new thread with the combined features and established permutation’s rather than only this “stream of history thread”.

Love your work. You hit a sweet spot, thanks for persisting with it.

2 Likes

When the sidebar is opened, you could use a CSS transform on .tc-river-inner, scaling it down horizontally while the sidebar is visible. Though, I imagine that not working so well with 42 columns :confused:

Much better, perhaps, would be CSS element() function but the downside there is “Firefox only” at present.

1 Like

@TiddlyTweeter,

you can now clone a column in the sidebar by dragging a column-button over another column-button

@CodaCoder,

the element() thing is very nice but sadly it’s not cross-browser compatible

I’m new to this thread, is this a plugin that I can use in an existed wiki?

Can there be a view toolbar button to switch from normal mode to multi-column mode? I think there will be more mods in the future, like excalidraw kanban mode, like Twine / An open-source tool for telling interactive, nonlinear stories, and we switch between mode to get different view of our wiki.

I also want to develop a “knowledge graph view” that replaces the whole storyriver with a single echarts widget.

The smart thing with this is to create a new layout. Basically starting with a clone of the existing page template with the SystemTag: $:/tags/Layout then we are all free to jump between different layouts.

The multi-column Layout / Storyview here can be switched in and out and this design approach makes all layouts available for the treatment of the same content.

3 Likes

That is very useful! It works well!

I played with it a bit. And is also useful if you got your column placement wrong (likely rare, I doubt it needs any function to move columns). FYI I was able to clone a column to a new place and then remove the original column. Effectively a “column move”.

Neat stuff!

Grazie tanto, TT

Right! One of the most useful things for power control of layout about MCL (MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebook) is the ENSEMBLE — which saves both layout and Tiddlers.

That allows you to develop multiple column layouts easily that can be saved and loaded at will.

TT

1 Like

TEST #8 - Simple Jukebox

This is just one column so far. Nothing you can’t do already in TW. But MCL makes a lot of things simpler visually.

Right. Over years TW has had variant stylist things. Kanban already, more than once. They are good IF you need just that.

TBH, I think what @BurningTreeC is doing on this is real neat in that he’s giving a column “framework” you can use many ways.

I think it a liberating approach.

Just a comment
TT

1 Like

Hi @linonetwo , you can use this plugin in a current prerelease build of tiddlywiki, yes

that would be a great addition!

Best wishes,
Simon

2 Likes

Ciao @BurningTreeC

I noticed in the beta v37.0 you enabled configuration switching of the Right Sidebar to the left (and the Left Sidebar to the right, if it exists).

That is extremely useful! It makes authoring work using MCL easier in that you can move the sidebar to a place it does not obscure any work-in-progress.

Saluti a te, TT

#Comment On The Ensemble Approach

I looked at what @BurningTreeC saves in an “Ensemble”.

It is brilliant and very supportive of dynamic experimentation with layouts. The data recorded is extensive. It includes the main layout settings and list fields for the Tiddlers in every column. Saves all of that and reloads it at will.

Very clever!

Example …

Somewhat in awe,
TT

TEST #9 – Quick Ad-Hoc Utility Building

In this example of using MCL I’m playing with understanding SVG in TW. Each column applies different styles to a few TW SVG icons to examine the basic effect.

My point is this whole thing was really quickly done. Works well for the aim. One Ensemble will do it. Really helps practical utility work.

TT

2 Likes

Please publish that utility @TiddlyTweeter :pray: :nerd_face: so I have identify svg component’s to alter.

1 Like

Hi all,

version 0.38.0 is out! :star_struck:

https://burningtreec.github.io/tiddlywiki-multi-columns/

I’ve just rebuilt the sidebar to use flexbox css

I’m using the MCL at work at the moment and I’m pretty happy about it.
How about you? Are you using it and for what purpose? I’m curious … :slight_smile:

Do you have any other ideas that I could implement?

Best wishes,
Simon

It is looking great.

Of note with your side bar change, one of my own mods tagged $:/tags/SideBarSegment now displays in the sidebar when it was not earlier.

Perhaps with next update you could describe the Ensemble in the side bar such as with

An ensemble is the columns and tiddlers displayed in each

or something.

Perhaps you could add your own version of the heading resizer;
multi-column-customiser.json (1.3 KB)

I had to readjust the buttons to be 1em form the right so It did not interfere with your Right hands side, hamburger menu.

See here https://multi-column.tiddlyhost.com/ where I trialled it on mobile, as expected a simple slide right lets me see each column. This is to me a wonderful way to publish feature rich mobile sites with a swipe to access multiple story columns. Next I will introduce some customisations discuissed in this thread such as a menu bar and top of story titles etc… so we know which story we are looking at,

• perhaps story left and right buttons in a story header?

By the way if you want to publish at multi-column.tiddlyhost.com perhaps I can give it to you?

Just a reminder that for casual readers it’s very tough to find the URL for this; one needs to scroll up through 200 messages. I’d recommend repeating the URL in each post announcing changes.

1 Like

Thank you @TW_Tones

Yes, now they should show up. Though I don’t know how well they work with the sidebar-tabs scroll-overflow. I’ll have to test that a little bit

Yes I could do that. English is not my native language, so I don’t know what the best spelling could be for this.

I could and I think it’s something users would like to see. I also think, that everything I would add in that direction would be sort of opinionated so I don’t know if I wanna do that.

Hmmm, yes that may be a problem on mobile

I’m looking forward to see your customizations! :slight_smile:

That’s a good idea, I could make that configurable

No thanks, I’m fine with my github page. But thank you for the offer!

Best wishes,
Simon

Thank you @jeremyruston , I forgot about posting the URL

Here it is: MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebook

2 Likes