A multi-column Layout / Storyview

Hi @arunnbabu81 ,

I don’t want to add visual distraction to the layout itself

I could do that. Do you mean this button:

I believe the second sidebar can be used for that and it should be users to customize it to their liking

What isn’t working? I believe the command palette isn’t made to work with multiple columns and especially doesn’t know about the currently active column.

That’s fine

Yes, a button with similar functionality - but only if it doesn’t make layout complicated.

I will have to test that out. Will ask for help if needed.

I was not able to invoke the command palette modal window with keyboard shortcut.

Ah yes, it’s probably tagged $:/tags/PageTemplate and I don’t include tiddlers tagged with that tag. I’ll see what I can do about that

Now the command palette should show up, with the latest version of the plugin

2 Likes

Ciao @BurningTreeC

I absolutely agree that the end-maker needs do that.

Though I do think some info on CSS classes for the left menu in MCL might help a bit?

FWIW, in my own case I’ll likely clone what @jeremyruston did for the menubar plugin to ease it a bit? The result is good for simples … :smiley:

1 Like

thank you. it works now

TEST #7 – “Sticky” Headers …

This is an early test of making the first Tiddler in a column into a “position: sticky;” header. Useful for layouts where each column is of distinct groups of tiddlers …

@BurningTreeC

This is such a flexible tool!

I think there could be whole sets of secondary “assistant tools” that apply variant CSS as well as “populating” macros to auto-fill columns :-).

Later I’ll try list some. I’m not expecting you to do those, merely that this thing sings and the flex on layout is brilliant.

A comment, TT

1 Like

@BurningTreeC

One thought I had was for …

Clone a Column

:slight_smile: , TT

Hi @TiddlyTweeter,

It’s great seeing what you create with this layout! :slight_smile:

A clone-column functionality would indeed be great

Best wishes,
Simon

Simply because you made it possible! :blush:

One Query. You gave the great method for styling single columns via “.tc-river-X ”.

I’m now wondering IF there is an overall column wrapper class that could be used to style every column (but not the sidebars)?

Interested, TT

Issues Arising …

This is not any kind of criticism. Merely an observation.

There is slight problem opening Tiddlers from the Right Sidebar WHEN it obscures the column the tiddlers open in … like this … (with column three live)

Certainly when making a wiki it is best to be able to see what is going on. TBH, I think it inevitable that issue arises as MCL flows under the Right Sidebar.

Just FYI, I think, during the “making process”, I might shift the controls to $:/tags/TopToolbar to avoid that issue?

Just a comment, TT

Hi @TiddlyTweeter ,

you can address all columns with .tc-river-inner

best wishes,
Simon

@TiddlyTweeter ,

yes you’re right, that’s a Design problem

Thanks! Very helpful. TT

I don’t see (being an idiot) an easy way round it with the Right Sidebar (RS). Why? Because the RS visually will, by nature, obscure anything under it. (I did try make the RS variably transparent so you could see loading tiddlers below it. But it was a confusing mess and I abandoned the idea).

TBH, as I’m looking at MCL now, there is “maker mode” where visibility on loads matters where maybe the tools should not overlay columns? And an “end-user mode” where no such issues arise.

Just thoughts, TT

@BurningTreeC this is clearly a very popular innovation of yours, I am also very keen to make use of it and have my own supporting tweaks other may include, but it is a now a very long thread.

I hope once this stabilises we can start a new thread with the combined features and established permutation’s rather than only this “stream of history thread”.

Love your work. You hit a sweet spot, thanks for persisting with it.

2 Likes

When the sidebar is opened, you could use a CSS transform on .tc-river-inner, scaling it down horizontally while the sidebar is visible. Though, I imagine that not working so well with 42 columns :confused:

Much better, perhaps, would be CSS element() function but the downside there is “Firefox only” at present.

1 Like

@TiddlyTweeter,

you can now clone a column in the sidebar by dragging a column-button over another column-button

@CodaCoder,

the element() thing is very nice but sadly it’s not cross-browser compatible