A multi-column Layout / Storyview

The draggable.js , droppable.js , dragndrop.js , scroller.js , dom.js and rootwidget.js tiddlers

Those overrides are extensive enough that the chance of conflicts with other plugins is going to be high. I think given that you have relatively new PRs for some of those changes it makes sense to wait and see if they are accepted to the core. You could then publish a plugin that works with the pre-release.

If you do decide that you want to publish now, I recommend subclassing $draggable and $droppable under new names to not override the core widgets. Similarly you can write your alternatives to some of the other files, mostly it is a case of changing a few file and variable names.

1 Like

Yes you’re right @saqimtiaz , I should wait and try to get these changes into the core

Thank you

Perhaps release it as beta until alpha release?

Thanks for the official story saver Simon, I have edited out my earlier hack.

I would definitely use this as a plugin but can see the logic of waiting to see how core integration goes first. Patience is a virtue.

It is still useable ‘as is’ if people are determined enough to install it and understand that it does introduce some core changes. Backing up valuable wikis is always a good idea.

Thanks again!

Ciao @BurningTreeC

I’m not wanting to throw fat-in-the-fire
but @JanJo’s interesting OP concerning “Presentations” I think could work with your brilliant multicolumn IF there were options to :

(1) liberate the right of the viewport for infinite columns;
(2) ability to switch off vertical scrollers.

I know this is maybe not where you are going.
I just wanted to say I think it might be possible doable economically as I think your approach is compatible with those ???

It might free a lot of presentational use cases?

Just a query,
TT

Ciao @TiddlyTweeter

Yes I was thinking about making this useful for presentations
How is the setting you get when you hit Alt-S?

Switching off vertical scrollers can be done

Best wishes,
Simon

Hi Simon,
some thoughts:
I would call the multiple stories that you save ensemble or layout - not story.
Perhaps you could

• add dropdown to add a story to the to such an ensemble.
  • add the buttons to add and remove columns to the multiview-tab.

best wishes Jan

1 Like

I’m not getting a horizontal storyview (i.e. passes right through the right viewport edge). Rather I get “viewport stretched” Tiddlers … (In Chrome latest, on Windows 10, using MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebook) …

Best wishes, TT

Yes @TiddlyTweeter , that’s intended.
But the columns are each on a new viewport. You can slide between columns using Alt-Left and Alt-Right

Maybe what you’d like to see is columns having a fixed width, let’s say 1/3 of the viewport, and expanding horizontally so that the viewport overflows in x-direction?

Best wishes,
Simon

Yes. Exactly that!

If it gives you no trouble, @JanJo & I would get nearer to heaven with infinite X-srcollability and be very grateful.

Best, TT

:smiley: ok then, I’ll add this option this evening, it’s not difficult to do

Saluti,
Simon

:smiley:
Tanto grazie!

Ok now, there’s an update :slight_smile:

• The top search panel now filters the tiddlers in the different story-rivers
  • The top bars can be used to drag a whole story-river to another wiki
  • The horizontal view Alt-S now can be shown in more columns per viewport

I don’t know if point 3 satisfies @TiddlyTweeter’s and @JanJo’s needs yet (?)

Saluti,
Simon

1 Like

Erm , Alt-S doesn’t seem to do much now??
Slightly confused.

TT

:smiley: yes I knew it would be confusing in the beginning. Just add some columns!

And play with the configuration options!

2 Likes

Ha! Got it… nice …

TT, x

In the latest release, the alt+s does not work for me.
Win10 (Chrome, Edge, Firefox)

I had to reassign the shortcuts then it worked.

1 Like

Hi @Mohammad ,

It should work though, you just don’t see much difference at the beginning unless you add some columns

Best wishes,
Simon

2 Likes

img_1088_chrome

Okay, I got it! The scroll-snap can have a minimum number of columns, so I have to add some columns or change the setting amount of columns in horizontal view:

img_1090_chrome

Thank you Simon!

1 Like