A multi-column Layout / Storyview

Oh, Another issue.

• If we want to select text in a tiddler we can not because the draggable zone interferes.
  • Personally I would be happy if we only had a drag icon appear on all tiddlers.
    • This may also help when a button has a drag feature built into it.

@TW_Tones ,

the current solution for selecting text is disabling dragging by Alt-D

1 Like

I can imagine doing this when everything is done

Yes there’s an issue
But wouldn’t it overall make more sense to make the AboveStory divs sticky to the top?

I haven’t tested the menubar yet to be honest

Yes, I’m using a different state tiddler for my sidebar … maybe I’ll need to use the same as the original tiddlywiki does

Thanks again for your comments,
Simon

Now I’ve seen that my layout isn’t really made for the menubar plugin

I’ll see if I can make the needed adjustments

Ok now. The tiddler $:/plugins/tiddlywiki/menubar/menu needs the tag $:/tags/PageTemplate removed and the tag $:/tags/Toolbar added (works now with the latest build from some minutes ago)

1 Like

Yes, sounds good.

Yes, I did not say anything different.
It is just wiki markup is not working in above story tiddlers. They need to wikify/transclude the tagged tiddlers. HTML works for now.

• The $:/tags/AboveStory in the core does wikify the tiddlers.

That is OK, I did test it.

• Have a look (use my attached library tiddler) when it suits you.
  • I expect when you look at t will be obvious - possibly it is too high CSS z-index for the menu bar

Found in $:/plugins/tiddlywiki/menubar/styles

nav.tc-menubar {
	position: fixed;
	z-index: 850;
	display: inline-block;
	top: 0;
	right: 0;
	left: 0;
}

increasing above z-index to a high number 100K+ did not work

Menu bar working nicely, will explore further.

I’ve now added a search dropdown on top of the page, accessible through Ctrl-F (That may change later)

It’s currently without function, but it should manage somehow the different columns

Do you have any ideas?

Best wishes,
Simon

1 Like

Thanks for solving the text selection issue. I’ve been experimenting with your great innovation for storyboarding. Works great but in combination with dynanotate on an ipad keyboard shortcuts (like the alt-D to toggle dragging) aren’t accessible. Any ideas for the code to use for a sidebar button instead of alt-D? Keyboard shortcuts in general aren’t always usable on tablets/mobiles because the keyboard isn’t easily summoned to appear outside of text entry. Not your fault though!

Other buttons that would be useful I think - ‘close-all’, ‘save-multistory’, ‘import/export multi-column’. In a perfect world the ability to rename/relink titles according to their position in the multi-columns would be good, but that’s a bluesky thought. It works very well already, thanks a lot BTC!

Edit
Removed my amateur hack of @EricShulman 's excellent save story as BTC has added an official ‘multi-story saver’ function and also a button to toggle draggable/selectable text. @JanJo ‘s .json below is also redundant now, the function is already included in the multi-column plugin-to-be.

1 Like

Thanks @Watt , a very usefull accessory! Here it is packed to a .json
Slightly modified to appear in the sidebar:

Obsolete now because it’s integrated!

Multi Column Saver.json (2.9 KB)

2 Likes

Nice one JanJo! Remember it only saves/loads 6 columns, it can be adapted to handle more though.

@EricShulman 's brain work, mangled by an amateur for a temporary solution. Thanks Eric.

Hi @Watt , thank you!

Yes there will be buttons :slight_smile: I just don’t have the icons yet

I will think about it!

Great that you had luck in adopting the storyview-saver!

Best wishes,
Simon

Yes, it’s the school of ‘try everything and wish for luck’ here.
Would this be enough for a temp solution to the draggable toggle do you think?

<$checkbox tiddler="$:/dragging-enabled" field="text" checked="yes" unchecked="no" default="no">toggle drag vs text selection</$checkbox>

Ignore me if it’s more complicated than that, I’ll take it as a ‘no’ and wait for the official button. Enjoy the weekend!

Hi @Watt , there’s a dragging-toggle Button now on the page :slight_smile:

@JanJo - it may be of interest for you that the multi-column storyview now supports your own defined animations for inserting and removing tiddlers

It does so by applying the class tc-inserting to the tiddler that is being inserted and the class tc-removing to the tiddler that’s being removed

Have a look at $:/config/StoryViewAnimations - there you can define your own keyframes and animations

1 Like

Thank you Simon! :classical_building: (multi-column!)

1 Like

@Watt , now there’s also a story-saver integrated

Best wishes,
Simon

Hi all,

now I think I have everything ready to bundle this as a plugin
I would have to override shadow tiddlers though, which is a pity

Are you interested in this being a plugin?
I would keep it up to date with the tiddlywiki core

Saluti,
Simon

1 Like

Which shadow tiddlers do you need to override?

The draggable.js , droppable.js , dragndrop.js , scroller.js , dom.js and rootwidget.js tiddlers