A multi-column Layout / Storyview

TEST #1 – Two columns to d-n-d between wikis …

Note: This is a very simple use case. Often one needs d-n-d between wikis to get add-ins.

This makes it a lot easier …

1 Like

TEST #2 – Easy access to one’s own wikis …

Note: This case really illustrates the utility of the SAVER. Any arrangement of things (both the column layout and the Tiddlers) you can save to open again later …

1 Like

Hi all,

Do you have some thoughts about the top search panel (now accessible through Alt-F) ?

Saluti,
Simon

Yes. I think it excellent. Very suited to purpose.

Maybe could be disorientating at first? Though that is nothing to do with you. Merely end-users maybe not so familiar with the idea search results can be sectioned??

Whatever. I think it neat!

TT

I like it, but there is a bit of an “overlapping” problem, if the “matching” tiddler is in the middle section as shown in the image below.

Thanks @pmario , yes this is annoying.
Any ideas to resolve this problem are much appreciated!

Best wishes,
Simon

Right. How difficult would it be to make the search a moveable popup?

Just a thought, TT

Too difficult I think. I’m looking for other ideas :smiley:

Saluti,
Simon

1 Like

Thanks for all the developments Simon, looking really good.

Another idea regarding keyboard shortcuts - which are tricky on tablets and mobile - is it possible to turn the info buttons you currently have on the ‘Keyboard shortcuts’ tiddler into functioning buttons?

For example:

\define searchaction()

<$list filter="[[$:/state/search-panel]is[missing]]" emptyMessage="""
<$action-popup/><$action-deletetiddler $tiddler="$:/state/search-panel/search"/>
""">
<$action-popup $state="$:/state/search-panel" $coords="(0,0,0,0)"/>
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-focus-selector" $param=".tc-search-panel-input" delay={{{ [{$:/config/AnimationDuration}divide[2]round[]] }}}/>
</$list>
\end

<kbd>Alt-Right</kbd>: next column<br>
<kbd>Alt-Left</kbd>: previous column<br>
<kbd>Alt-Shift-S</kbd>: sidebar / panel<br>
<kbd>Alt-D</kbd>: dragging toggle<br>
<kbd>Ctrl-Alt-N</kbd>: new column<br>
<kbd>Ctrl-Alt-M</kbd>: remove column<br>
<kbd>Alt-S</kbd>: scroll-snap-type x toggle<br>
<$button actions=<<searchaction>> class="tc-btn-invisible"><kbd>Alt-F</kbd></$button>: search panel<br>
<hr>

Turns the Alt-S into a button that calls up search. Not sure if it’s a repeatable method for each of the shortcuts but might help us keyboard-less users?

Great work, thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thanks @Watt ,

yes I’m actually working on a bottom right panel that can be configured to be shown and which contains the search and dragging-toggle buttons

Best wishes,
Simon

1 Like

If it can be positioned anywhere, in any column, as well, would it add flexibility?
No need to reply - just floating ideas. Endless possibilities with your multi-column project!

1 Like

Very true. The potential apps are huge.

It differs from previous multi-column tools in TW in that it is a very clean interface.

Since you can set heights for Tiddlers you can basically get a surrogate grid too without needing further CSS.

I’m still experimenting. It seems to simplify a lot. Well.

A side comment, TT

1 Like

Hi all,

• the search panel can now either be shown on top or on the bottom
  • there’s a bottom right toolbar ($:/tags/BottomRightPanel)

Saluti,
Simon

Now two important updates are in the tiddlywiki core (latest pre-release):

• the draggable widget has an “enable” attribute
  • the startactions and endactions of the draggable widget support more variables like tv-selectednode-width and tv-selectednode-height … and others

There’s an outstanding Pull Request for the core which enables scrolling elements in nested scrollable containers into view

Additionally, I’ve made the sidebar panel’s position configurable so that it can be shown on the right or the left

Best wishes,
Simon

@BurningTreeC Is it possible to make multicolumn and Krystal plug-in compatible with each other. I don’t intend to use them at the same time. But when I switch to multicolumn or horizontal layouts, they should work smoothly. Is that possible?

Under … MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebookConfiguration

I think that may be also very useful on mobile. A simple “Hamburger” icon :smiley: would conform it to a kinda usage standard, without need for additional tools/plugins for mobile.

Just a thought,
TT

Also the other one … that the saver is for an ENSEMBLE, i.e. not just Column Layout and not just the StoryList, but both at once …

Bingo! :slight_smile:

Hi @arunnbabu81 ,

I have no idea if that’s possible. I haven’t looked at the implementation of the Krystal plugin
I believe there’s no real compatibility

Hi @TiddlyTweeter ,

Where would you like to see the Hamburger icon and what should it do?

Best wishes,
Simon

Good query.

Position: Hamburger, Top-Left fixed, (maybe with a small right margin?) On mobile it’s frequent.

Width on open: Dunno exactly. I’m not sure how much an issue of it is in practice on mobile.

Function: I’d say that a dev-user would edit the sidebar to maybe, make it visually like what @jermolene did for “Contents” in the Menu Bar plugin.

Thoughts
TT

I see you testing that already! You are one smart cookie! :smiley:

You are a Soldier-of-Love and the Hamburger Menu is a kinda universal salve for menuing. Nice to see it used.

Hat’s off to party …

Soldier Of Love, Sade.

TT