Zettelkasten in TW: my progress so far

Hi everyone,

I would like to build a personal Zettelkasten within TiddlyWiki. This will be an occasion to build a personal knowledge management system and to learn more about TiddlyWiki in the processL

As far as I know, there are two main editions made for that: tzk by @sobjornstad and Meheregan by @Mohammad.
I would like to start using tzk but adding some niceties offered by the various plugins developed by @Mohammad to it, one of which being the Refnotes plugins.

This is where I run into an issue. When trying to add Refnotes to tzk by the usual drag-and-drop method, I cannot see the new sidebar tab when I reload. I noticed that the plugin was de-activated by default and activated it, saved and reloaded but nothing changed.

This is where I am right now. If anyone is interested in helping me sort this out, it will be appreciated. I will then continue to feed this thread with my various issues, explorations and comments about this project.

Alanc

There are two separate problems here.

First, as you saw, for some reason the plugin starts out disabled. I suspect this may be because there’s an overridden shadow tiddler from kookma/refnotes in tzk that I never got around to renaming after I borrowed and modified some footnote code from that plugin, but I’m not sure.

Second, tzk overrides $:/core/ui/SideBarSegments/tabs so that different tabs can be displayed on private and public editions. To make a new tiddler with $:/tags/SideBar appear in any edition, you need to visit $:/sib/gui/SidebarTabSelector (find this in the tools menu in the upper-right) and check the private and/or public boxes.

This is the second time someone has had this problem, and not without good reason, so I’ll include this warning in future editions of tzk:

2 Likes

@sobjornstad Thanks for the help but surprisingly, I cannot find the corrresponding line in the table in the SidebarTabSelector tiddler while Refnotes is activated. See below.

Alanc

If this wiki is still empty, do you mind attaching a copy? That would make it easier to figure out.

@sobjornstad
I caanot upload the TW .html file directly to the forum so here is a link to download it: https://file.io/ZVNR26wDqVHq

It says “this file has been deleted”; maybe I waited too long?

This one should work: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

This web site provides an example of how professional academic cards are interlinked using tiddlywiki

mriwiki.cn — 磁共振百科知识太微笔记

Here’s a long “Zettelkasten in TW” tiddler from the author of this website

(Great “self-referential” note-taking system - TiddlyWiki (too small))
了不起的“自指性”笔记系统——TiddlyWiki(太微).tid (2.5 KB)

Thanks!

You have overridden the shadow tiddler $:/plugins/kookma/refnotes/ui/bibtexlibrary and removed the $:/tags/SideBar tag:

I deleted this shadow tiddler and the plugin version immediately appeared in the list as expected. If you want to keep the changes you’ve made to this tiddler, you could add the tag $:/tags/SideBar back instead of reverting to the plugin version.

I don’t know how that tiddler was overridden. I never modified it.
Also, I don’t really understand this part of your reply:

I deleted this shadow tiddler and the plugin version immediately appeared in the list as expected.

Some slight progress but it still doesn’t seem to work.

This is what I get in the Bibliography tab:

As a new user, I need to split my message in half to include another image, sorry for the inconvenience.

As you can see, some components are missing if we compare with the Refnotes plugin demo site’s version below:

I saw that there was another UI shadow tiddler ($:/plugins/kookma/refnotes/ui/dropzone) and also gave it the appropriate sidebar tag, but without success.

Did you actually delete the shadow tiddler, or just add the tag? Because it appears the changes in the shadow tiddler removed some UI elements. When I delete the shadow tiddler, I get the result in your second screenshot.

No, I just added the tag to * $:/plugins/kookma/refnotes/ui/bibtexlibrary and to $:/plugins/kookma/refnotes/ui/dropzone.
Should I delete the $:/plugins/kookma/refnotes/ui/bibtexlibrary tiddler completely?

Yes.

(Apparently I have to write at least 20 characters, so here you go)

After deleting $:/plugins/kookma/refnotes/ui/bibtexlibrary, the GUI displayed successfully. However, when I tried to import and process a BibTeX entry, the functionality was not there. I tried to also delete $:/plugins/kookma/refnotes/ui/bibtexlibrary but it still doesn’t work.

Note that when I import a BibTeX entry to create a new tiddler, the tiddler’s title is normally the first field in the BibTeX. it works like that in the Refnotes demo site but it is not the case when I use it within tzk.