Your dream edition?

In tiddlywiki we tend to use the word “Edition” to represent a tiddlywiki prebuild for a specific function see the existing ones here, these are held on tiddlywiki.com.

Basically an edition can be a fully developed tiddlywiki that serves a specific function that others may wish to use out of the box.

Similarly it could be a tiddlywiki preloaded with a set of plugins be they core plugins or from multiple sources. Perhaps the wiki needs further setup but the critical components are there to get started. Or perhaps it is finely tuned with additional tiddlers to tie it all together, or providing additional documentation or test data.

I hope in time community members will start to publish more editions for both new and experienced users alike. I am starting this topic to solicit ideas and wants from the community. So please let us know if there is an edition you want our could build and how we may best publish them. If someone posts a “proposed edition” like it. or give it the “thumbs up” and that person may develop it for us if they know others are interested.

3 Likes

Given the soon to be released version 5.2.0 is coming soon, that may be an opportune moment to publish some new Editions based on 5.2.0

Soon I will propose an edition I would call “Code Editor Edition” for editing code tiddlers as text for a code repository.

Hi @TW_Tones,

I’m currently customizing a tiddlywiki file to serve as a custom home page, not being satisfied by the one provided by firefox.

Here’s what it looks like for now :

It features several search engine (I plan to make them into only one search field), you can reorder the icons, add separators, use custom icons, link to a tiddler, a web url or a local file, and if you dont specify the icon it create one for you from the first letter of the tiddler + a semi random color (like the new tab does in firefox).

Automatic icons :

Hover a shortcut to edit/delete/clone it :

If you click on it, you’re taken to the link specified in the shortcut tiddler.

I feel like there is not enough features yet to call that an edition, so I was thinking to maybe make it into an edition/add more features but I’m not sure if this would be of use for anyone. The end product would be similar to this : https://weboas.is/

What do you think ?

3 Likes

@telumire yes this is a nice application, do you change the new tab url in the browser?

I have played with some related uses of tiddlywikis that may provide some additional design considerations for your “custom home page edition”. Feel free to steal any ideas from this list.

I have a personal wiki I call “sessions”, its on top of Bob.exe so it can be opened in multiple browser sessions at once without overwriting itself. I have a number of browser sessions one in FireFox and a number in chrome eg; one for WebAdmin, one for Tiddlywiki forums and repositories, one for a clients website and tasks … For each Browser session I open the “sessions” wiki and “pin it”. Now without leaving a browser I can use or drop info on the sessions wiki if required across all Browser sessions.

I have another personal wiki called “Daily Focus”, this opens up in my default browser when I restart/start the laptop and reminds me what approach’s I need to take in my day. I have lapsed a little using this but it includes “Make it stick” reminders for Habits, my current medications, reoccurring activities etc…

I have not used for some time but intend to a “Journaling Wiki” where I record daily observations and notes, and have simple buttons to click to indicate I have done things, like click if I have walk 5,000 or 10,000 steps.

Hopefully the above ideas may provide some inspiration for your “custom home page edition”

1 Like

Very cool!

I think special purpose customizations like this are GREAT as an Edition.

I think mostly the question is about how to create / bundle / deliver these Editions.

I experimented a bit with Editions, and wrote some things in the Fission forum, that I should copy and paste over here.

2 Likes

@boris I think it may only be a matter of sharing a single file wiki but a Jason file of all mods could also be published, even in an edition library.

1 Like

@telumire
Wonderful! It is a nice edition!

1 Like

@Telumire, it sure looks nice and very useful too. I sure would want something like that.

1 Like

A possible edition was raised here TiddlyWiki Edition designed for creating cheat Sheets,. starting with a tiddlywiki one

2 Likes

Hello all, sorry for the delay, I was busy with my finals.

Here’s a first work in progress, in case you want to fiddle around with it : Custom Home Page — A customisable home page

@TW_Tones In firefox we cant set a custom url to the new tab icon (this is a security issue), but we can do this for the homepage so I use that. There are addons that allows to set a custom page for the new tab though.

Using Bob is a great idea, I will try that !

I’m also thinking of adding light task management features. I already have a Kanban system, but maybe it would be better to leave that to a dedicated edition like Projectify, or at least make it optional.

Using tiddlywiki to track habits is something I wish to do since a long time so I definitively want to try to provide some means to do that. It would be nice to have the homepage show a personnal dashboard with your daily progress or something like that.

@boris, @Mohammad, @Birthe thanks a lot ! Next step is to enable drag&drop directly in the ui rather than the shorcuts tab, and clean up the code. If you want me to add a feature feel free to ask.

I will update you when the edition is ready :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lovely! I like the dashboard and the way one can have links to all his/her TWs from one place!
I like to add kookma search-wikis to be able to search from this main dashboard in my local wikis and can open them even by search results!

The link to Google Calendar and the way it creates new icons! all are really interesting!

The “code editor edition” seems really a must have. I’m not sure why text tiddlers others than code would not qualify for code repository. Are not any wiki text a kind of code, after all? (well, some more than others)