Wow, this article: The End of Organizing

5 Likes

If I look purely from the point of view of my own use of Tiddlywiki - as a large knowledge, research and learning base I disagree with quite a lot of the intro text in the article you have flagged although my notes are all focused around the same subject matter.

I find that the art of linking and organising my notes which range from paragraphs to whole book chapters is an ongoing process, I am frequently re-editing, re-linking and re-tagging, but also restructuring and constantly thinking of better ways to organise - my Tiddlywiki’s evolution is all about this process, I even have a random button along side the other methods I use to populate the story river precisely because I want to re-evaluate stale tiddlers now and then.

I am beginning to realise that there is a perfectly good reason for my failure to identify the ideal structure and the reason that this is an ongoing process where I improve over time, it’s never likely to end because I am unlikely to ever fully understand the thing I am researching - it will never be done and dusted, like science there is no end it’s a journey not a destination. Same goes for the various ranking systems I deploy which are supposed to identify the highest value or most important tiddlers - I am always dissatisfied with the result and despite new schemes coming into my head every so often I realise that the real problem is that there is no single way of establishing a single value for many of my tiddlers - their value changes over time as my understanding and areas of interest shift and evolve.

I have nothing against the idea of AI helping me in this but I disagree in the context of my work with the preamble in the article which suggests that a smart algorithm can structure it all for us - doesn’t the person who wrote that understand that the restructuring and revision in the knowledge base echoes the learning process going on in our brain?

If you by pass the opportunity to find these cross connections and new synapses yourself you deny yourself a whole chunk of the learning process.

Organising a lot of information and atomic concepts so that they make sense in a broader picture is the essence of learning and discovering - the major part of learning is that intuitive moment when you suddenly see the connection between two previously unrelated bits of information.

There is a reason that early education is often based on spoon feeding but later on we are encouraged to discover, research and explore for ourselves - the linking up process is where the new discoveries get made - spotting a connection between two tiddlers where previously you saw none suggests your mental schema has evolved since last time and the process of adding that link may have fortuitous benefits and result in yet another link being made.

Of course a helping hand now and then might propel us forward but I would question the value of reliance if we want understanding.

Tiddlywiki is a great solution because it is not fixed, I know that if I do get a magical insight into a better way to organise my tiddlers, to rank them or ensure that nothing of value sinks to the bottom then there is a good chance that I can adapt the system - I don’t think I can ask for more because currently I don’t know with precision what I actually need - it’s the nature of learnnig and discovering.

5 Likes

Thanks Jonnie, I think the same as you regarding note taking and organizing. But I wasn’t mentioning the article as an argument to agree or disagree with. It is just fascinating the directions the tools for note taking will likely take in the near future.

1 Like

But I wasn’t mentioning the article as an argument to agree or disagree with.

I would have to disagree with that :grinning: in the sense that the nature of forums is to comment and perhaps challenge although I realised from the start that the article might not reflect your own views.

@jonnie45 almost totally agree, with what you express. I am however starting to see that the technologies as discussed will work along side tiddlywiki very well. For example If I was about to write an essay in my tiddlywiki I may ask ChatGPT the steps to write an essay; Below is the answer I got;

• Now paste this into a tiddler, use excise to make 7 tiddlers and now follow the steps.

Writing an essay can be a daunting task, especially if you’re not sure how to get started. Here are some steps to help you plan and write your essay:

1. Determine the purpose of your essay. Are you trying to persuade someone, explain something, or narrate a story? Understanding the purpose of your essay will help you focus on the right content and structure.
  2. Choose a topic. Your topic should be something that you’re interested in and knowledgeable about. It should also be something that fits the purpose of your essay.
  3. Do some research. Depending on the type of essay you’re writing, you may need to do some background research. This will help you understand the subject more deeply and give you material to work with.
  4. Make an outline. An outline will help you organize your thoughts and structure your essay in a logical way. It can also help you see where you need to do more research.
  5. Write a draft. Start with an introduction that grabs the reader’s attention and clearly states the purpose of your essay. Next, develop your main points and supporting evidence. Conclude your essay by summarizing your main points and restating your thesis.
  6. Edit and proofread. Carefully review your essay for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. Consider asking someone else to read it over as well, as a fresh pair of eyes may catch mistakes you missed.
  7. Finalize your essay. Once you’re satisfied with your essay, make any final revisions and submit it.

We could call this “Just in Time Instructions”.

This is Obsidian roundup. Worth to know what rivals are doing !

https://www.obsidianroundup.org/tag/roundup/

You can ask ChatGPT to give results in TiddlyWiki JSON format. I tried:

Please write a JSON file for TiddlyWiki that contains one tiddler for each of the capital cities of europe

I got this:

{
  "tiddlers": [
    {
      "title": "Amsterdam",
      "tags": ["capital", "europe"],
      "text": "Amsterdam is the capital city of the Netherlands and is located in the western part of the country. It is known for its canals, museums, and liberal culture."
    },
    {
      "title": "Andorra la Vella",
      "text": "Andorra la Vella is the capital city of Andorra, a small principality located between Spain and France in the Pyrenees mountains. It is known for its ski resorts and tax-free shopping."
    },
    {
      "title": "Belgrade",

Now, in fact it has got the format slightly wrong: the “tiddlers” array is not needed. So I asked a followup:

Great thank you. Please do not include the "tiddlers" array. The output should be an array of tiddler objects.

That yields the response in the correct format:

[
  {
    "title": "Amsterdam",
    "text": "Amsterdam is the capital city of the Netherlands and is located in the western part of the country. It is known for its canals, museums, and liberal culture."
  },
  {
    "title": "Andorra la Vella",
    "text": "Andorra la Vella is the capital city of Andorra, a small principality located between Spain and France in the Pyrenees mountains. It is known for its ski resorts and tax-free shopping."
  },
  {
    "title": "Belgrade",
    "tags": ["capital", "europe

That was too many results to conveniently handle, so I retried:

Thank you. Please just include the 10 largest cities by population, and include custom fields for population and the area measured in football pitches

That yielded this result:

[
  {
    "title": "Istanbul",
    "text": "Istanbul is the largest city in Europe, with a population of over 15 million people. It straddles the border between Europe and Asia and is known for its rich history, beautiful architecture, and vibrant culture. ",
    "population": 15000000,
    "area (in football pitches)": 4500
  },
  {
    "title": "Moscow",
    "text": "Moscow is the capital city of Russia and is the second largest city in Europe, with a population of over 13 million people. It is known for its iconic Red Square and Kremlin, as well as its rich history and cultural landmarks. ",
    "population": 13000000,
    "area (in football pitches)": 3500
  },

Just a little more back and forth would get us more suitable field names…

2 Likes

Great examples. Thank you @jeremyruston

I believe in near future, AI if not do all of the job but will be a very good assistant for note taking!