What does slowdown Tiddlywiki? Performance Tips

Performance Challenge

1. drag and drop Bulk Tiddler Maker.json (612 Bytes) into https://tiddlywiki.com/
  2. open Bulk Tiddler Maker and create 2500 tiddlers or more!
    2.1. You can experiment here and create larger number of tiddlers
  3. Try to open the Recent Tab, do you sense any slowdown?
  4. Close Bulk Tiddler Maker tiddler and close Recent Tab, how is everything now? Is your Tiddlywiki is fast again!

Share Your Tips

• What do you do to have a very quick and responsive Tiddlywiki?

Performance Tips

See Performance tips on TiddlyWiki — a non-linear personal web notebook

Note

Originally I created this for Advanced Search in Fields, see Advanced Search in Fields Plugin: New Updates - Plugins - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org)

2 Likes

With the above test! I believe Tiddlywiki is really fast! Don’t think you?

I do think it’s fast. Somewhere around 5.1.23 > 5.2.x, TiddlyWiki made a huge leap forward in terms of speed.

My DOs and DONTs

1. Do close the Recent tab after using it. I usually leave it resting at Open.

2. Do close the Advanced Search tabs if they contain long lists of results.

3. Don’t keep any long $list results open any longer than they are truly needed.

4. Do use $eventcatcher to capture clicks in long $lists of links/buttons.

5. Do use the Fold button on lengthy tiddlers that you need open but are not being used at the moment.

5 Likes

No, it works very slow with 2500 tiddlers
If we close “Recent” or not, many tiddlers = slow Tiddlywiki

hi mohammad, just to report mixed results to your performance challenge on a macbook pro m1 pro; macos 12.3 BETA

safari 15.4 (17613.1.14.1.7) and firefox 96.0.3 (64-bit)

1. both will not import via drag and drop within same app, separate windows (maybe a macos beta issue? or even just this machine), had to import from tools|import

2. initially very slow after import and 2500 tiddler creation

3. after save to file and fresh load from file, tiddlywiki general response fast both with and without recent tab open (but tiddler fields when editing tiddler are very slow, since there are 2500 existing fields!)

4. similar results on ios 15.4 beta (points 1 and 2), and (modified 3) using saved file and loading on quine 2 (1.2.11) generally fast both with and without recent tab open (but tiddler fields when editing tiddler are very slow)

warmest wishes, maki

1 Like

Yes, yes. And No. It depends, I think on the context. This can’t be answered without explicit explanation of the environment and precise objectives.

FYI, in tests I did under your great Advanced Search in Fields — search in fields it was very perforative for 13,000 Tiddlers. Note: They were plain text, rendered with minimal interface and no tags.

TBH, performance in TW is likely related to COMPLEXITY of “instant render”.

The main issue here is it is not so simple in practice to pin down issues!

TW is complex and “number of Tiddlers” is likely the least of it?

Complex “instantaneous render” might be the biggest issue???

Just a comment,
TT

1 Like