V5.3.2: story river fails to scroll to open linked tiddler ... why? (conflict w plugins that uglify)

Dear all,

I recall having this problem once long ago, but don’t recall what the culprit was. Recently, this problem started affecting my recently-upgraded biblio project, but I postponed troubleshooting…

This morning, I started making a brand new v5.3.2 hobby-related site at tiddlyhost, and the problem set in almost immediately. I had installed a few plugins. So I disabled ALL of them, and the problem persists. As far as I can tell, this should now just be a stock v5.3.2 TiddlyWiki with a few image tiddlers:

https://springer-crafts.tiddlyhost.com/

Any ideas? And, is there something brittle about v5.3.2 that makes this problem more likely?

-Springer

@Springer What type/style of links are you using? I experience similar behaviour when I use links on photos. I have photo maps that provide links on faces of people to open that person tiddler. It works the first time but fails upon repeated clicks until I click on a different face. Then any previous face click will work once.

This is a vanilla tiddlywiki with vanilla links.

Even the tiddler links in the Open and Recent tab are failing to trigger a scroll within the story river to the open tiddler.

Of course, our problems may still have something in common…

I tried this:

• starting with https://tiddlywiki.com/empty
  • drag-and-drop all your regular tiddlers from https://springer-crafts.tiddlyhost.com/
  • in $:/ControlPanel, set “Default tiddlers” to: [[gift boxes]] [[2023 giftboxes]]
  • in sidebar “Tools” tab, press “Home” button
  • in sidebar “Recent” tab, click on link to “2023 giftboxes”… it scrolls into view
  • in sidebar “Recent” tab, click on link to “gift boxes”… it scrolls into view

Sometimes just disabling plugins doesn’t completely remove their effects.

I suggest doing the “plugin waltz”: start with a fresh empty.html + your content tiddlers. Then, install desired plugins one-at-a-time with save-and-reload + test scrolling after each install, until scrolling breaks. The last plugin installed is your suspect.

-e

1 Like

Yeah, I was hoping not to have to do that. But at least there’s a limited number in this case!

-Springer

Ugh. Just did all the steps, and everything is still fine on the replica.

I should be relieved, but not really.

The fact that this problem (failure of story-river’s scroll-for-link behavior) has happened with two of my v5.3.2 projects makes me uneasy. There must be some other way that things can get corrupted. Or one of my plugins is indeed responsible, but causes trouble only after some other interaction happens… I’ll post again if I can find a pattern.

-Springer

If the tiddler heading is already in view there are cases where it will not scroll. Also if tiddler’s dont reach below the screen the header will not move to the top of the window. If it reoccurs and thus seems to be they case let me know I have some tricks for that.

• zooming in on your wiki then hitting the links may scroll correctly and you will know this is what’s happening.

your non working earlier version seemed to be loading the core as as separate file.

Hi @Springer it’s worth mentioning that it is very hard to debug this problem because the wiki uses the Uglify plugin. It “minifies” the core code to reduce its size, but a side effect is that it is no longer recognisable for debugging purposes. The wiki also uses the external core which makes things more awkward. So I guess step 1 might be to try making a build that doesn’t include Uglify or use the external core, if that’s feasible?

@jeremyruston, thanks for the reply! I’ve since replaced my tiddlyhost “crafts”-oriented site with a reconstructed one where the link-scroll in story river does work. So if you followed my above link only in the last hour or so, you’re getting the new site (with plugins re-enabled).

About Uglify: I’ve had no direct interaction with it, and have never chosen it as such, although I do believe it may be part of other plugins — perhaps by @Mohammad (if I recall an earlier thread correctly)?

The problem was happening even with everything disabled, but perhaps uglification is one of the things that doesn’t “undo itself” on reload, even if the plugin is disabled?

Once I can replicate the problem (rather than having it seem to strike randomly, and then fail to affect a reconstructed wiki with the very same elements), then I’ll try reproducing the problem with an external core wiki, and share a link to that.

(Of course, if uglify is built into plugins that I use regularly, it may or may not end up being possible to reproduce the problem in a non-“uglified” version of the wiki.)

@TW_Tones — this is nothing like “incomplete” scroll, or zoom-dependent glitch – it’s a total fail of all scrolling (from sidebar or from internal links from one tiddler to another) once the target is already open. Links seem to do exactly nothing in cases where the desired tiddler in question happens to be already present in the story river.

Since I’ve gone ahead and updated the new craft site with a replica that doesn’t have the problem, the link at top of thread is no longer showing the problem.

However, in case you or anyone is curious, the exact same problem is affecting the biblio project.

If “uglify” made troubleshooting hard on the other site, it will surely affect this one as well; this has the same routine-for-me plugins.

I’ve tried changing the story view to zoomin, and nothing does the disappearing thing that zoomin should cause. Instead a new link opens on top of the story river’s existing tiddler (if it wasn’t open yet). Clicking on a link to a tiddler that is already “open” (buried beneath the stack) does nothing at all.

• The reason I suggested to use zoom was diagnostic to see if the scroll only occurs when tiddler titles are out of view.
  • I looked at that but it it is so broken it is hard to research. :slightly_frowning_face:
    • Tiddlers “open” but you can never see them (very Hotel California :nerd_face: )
    • Ctrl-shift-L shows there is no alternative layout in use
  • I dropped some external tools on it and direct to edit does not work either.
  • It is as if the story view is broken or there is a message catcher or event catcher on the navigate message, but no replacement navigation message.
  • If we could edit a new tiddler we could put some exploratory code in to try and troubleshoot. Perhaps with a sidebar view/edit tool?

If you recall modifying message catchers, the layout or anything like that, let us know.

• I can install tiddlers through bookmarklets but not via import as I can’t complete the Import. We can easily construct bookmarklets here to apply replacement tiddlers.
  • Expect there may be a config entry, a bug or an error causing this. The worst case being a combination of these.
  • Using SideBar More Plugins I see you have Sidebar resizer installed. I may be wrong but I have a weak memory of this causing a problem.

Best of luck and feel free to call for help.

Actually, I’m surprised to hear that. For me, I can create new tiddlers, edit, save, and otherwise interact normally apart from the fact that I need to navigate the story river “manually” to find what I need. (In zoomin, this meant the nuissance of closing tiddlers that were in the way.)

I’ve switched back from zoomin (which I tried just for troubleshooting), since at least that way I can easily see what’s open by dragging the scroll bar.

Given that disabling all plugins did not stop the problem in my other wiki, I’m reluctant to try that with this much more developed project. But I’ll try exporting all tiddlers and reimporting them in a new empty v5.3.2 file, just to see what happens…

1 Like

Yes, I do like to run with external-core. That in itself shouldn’t be causing a problem, although of course if I can replicate the problem then one troubleshooting step will be trying the same setup but with the usual internal core.

Yes, I no longer have that symptom after reloading, I see its 5.3.2 Now.

I will have a look around Biblio-Springer.

• It also breaks my focus tiddler solution

One thing I have observed is on tiddlywiki.com if you click a title, it navigates to it, but the ctrl-click only opens it below, this is the behaviour of your wiki. That is navigation is behaving like $scroll=no

• I cant download and disable plugins (because of the external core?) but its a good bet that $:/plugins/wikilabs/edit-tabs could be involved because it overrides $:/core/macros/tabs includes;
\define link-action()↩︎
<$action-sendmessage $message="$(message)$" $param=<<currentTiddler>> navigateTo=<<currentTiddler>>/>↩︎
\end↩︎`
  • But some hacking did not prove this.

• I also notice $:/LinkStyle/Stylesheet mentions links, but removing all your custom stylesheets by tag nothin changed.

• Linkcatcher is in the commander plugin

For now that has exhausted my ideas, a bit of a mystery.

In my very last set of system-tiddler re-imports (in the process of replicating this biblio project on an empty v5.3.2), the culprit seems to have been added.

This was the list of tiddlers that seems to be doing the mischief:

The following tiddlers were imported. (The first one, $:/clear is just a shorthand tiddler for clearing all floats, using system prefix just to reduce visual noise in sidebars.)

I just went through every tiddler in that fateful last import, and deleted each of them, one by one — so the list is now 100% italics (tiddler missing) or bold (restored to shadow state). Saved, reloaded, after each deletion. Still no scrolling for internal links.

Problem is still afoot. Alas, must get to bed!

I can’t offer any help… just to say, I’ve seen this behavior twice in the last week or so. Yesterday it was happening, I closed the wiki, reopened, problem was still there. Messed around with “Open links above” and “below” – nothing worked, went to bed, came in this morning and everything is working.

When a tiddler is open in the river, links in the Open tab do nothing. The closing tiddler animation doesn’t happen either.

Links clicked in tiddlers DO open the target into the river, but the river refuses to scroll to them.

Now, it’s all working fine and apart from my tinkering in the control panel and having given up trying to make it work, I can’t explain why it’s now working or why it stopped working in the first place.

I checked biblio project and can confirm that’s the same behavior I saw yesterday.

(Random thought) You don’t seem to be using eventcatcher (I looked). You are using linkcatcher (kookma’s commander). Anything that interrupts link/click handling might be suspect.

@Jermolene Checking the biblio site I see nothing in the console beyond a ton of CSS warnings/errors

1 Like

I am on the night shift, and like a good challenge. I know two things I do not have answers for that may be related;

• Info > Advanced > Parsing > wikilink is disabled :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
  • Sidebar tabs open/recent some tiddlers have icons, do not have a caption or icon field
    • somehow the link widget must be change for this?
    • These are bibtext tiddlers

I thought I would try something and navigation is now working for me

• I downloaded empty.html
  • Downloaded the Biblio-Springer using a download button download-wiki-with-changes.json (1.7 KB)
    • Of note the BibText Importer was disabled at the time (may not be relavant)
  • Downloaded the tiddlywiki core to the same location
  • Opened empty html and imported everything (after I reviewed it) from the local Biblio-Springer (until I added the core this failed)
    • Except I unchecked $:/plugins/tiddlywiki/bibtex (may not be relevant)
  • Save and reload, and the navigation is working

I then installed the Bibtext Importer and the wikis navigation is still working. (may not be relevant)

I have no explanation for this. But one question;

• Has tiddlyhost being updated with the 5.3.2 External core? @simon

I dragged $:/core/ui/SideBar/Open from tiddlywiki.com on to https://biblio-springer.tiddlyhost.com/ - imported it then compared - they are different -