Tiddlywiki Is the coolest thing I've ever seen

So, this is kinda just a dumb rant, but I have to say tiddlywiki is absolutely epic, I’ve basically limited myself to using only tiddlywiki for basically everything, as a password manager/vault, pseudo DNS resolver, Bible, Batch/Powershell Software Toolkit & Executer, Program UI, you name it. It’s always fun to problem solve, as an avid Linux user I hate systems that limit you, obfuscate and stone wall you. TW5 does none of this. As a framework it’s limitless and so much fun, wanna build a search engine? Tiddlywiki. Wanna build a desktop program? Tiddlywiki. I would have to say that if I had any real complaints it’s on documentation creating libraries and layouts is tedious and I feel like Tiddlywiki could be further adopted if more functionality was documented. I often struggle with learning TW as the documentation for it is very spotty, especially when your trying to build unique palettes, Layouts, or Themes, it’s also hard when your trying to make modules/js and libraries for plugins. I probably miss out on 50% of what tiddlywiki can do because I just don’t know it can do it. & I’ve used it for going on 8 years. I know I’ll never stop using it, though sometimes I know I’d prefer obsidian. I know anything in obsidian I could get in tw5 if I put my nose to the grindstone. Tiddlywiki doesn’t have limits, none that I’ve seen. It’s always adapting and has one of the best communities I’ve ever seen. I am horrible at html but somehow tiddlywiki has saved me again, because I know that if I work towards a goal I can achieve it. Tiddlywiki is absolutely the coolest thing I’ve ever used. It’s not just a notebook. It’s an addiction. Anyways that’s my rant.

18 Likes

I’m a fairly new TW user - and I agree, it absolutely IS an addiction.
Yeah learning the coding/extending/tweaking parts is rough.
A centralized exhaustive documentation resource would be great.

I’ve found some good collections of documentation, but often it feels like overview information more so than deep dive / tutorial style etc.

TW IS absolutely amazing.

2 Likes

You describe it so well. The feeling of using Tiddlywiki, getting addicted to it. One day it happens to us. No matter what you have to learn, or have to do, a new hobby or other stuff, starts with the thought, I could create a TW for that. :laughing:

5 Likes

I did create a Palette-manager edition. It contains previews for every element. So it is much easier and much faster to create new colour palettes.

If you clone a default palette, and change values in the new one, you’ll be able to see the differences and also have the possibility to undo.

There is a video link in the edition, which shows the basic usage.

have fun!
mario

3 Likes

You may have a closer look at the dev-edition: https://tiddlywiki.com/dev/, which gives you more insight into the TW internals.

https://tiddlywiki.com/dev/

3 Likes

I have, and grok sometimes too, it’s a small gripe at the end of the day there’s always either an answer out there or someone willing to lend a hand. Worst case I reverse engineer existing features to see how they work lol

2 Likes

There is an issue with having an infinitely extensible platform to build things on and that is the documentation could be infinite in size, and clearly will never be complete.

The same is true for what you choose to do with it since it can ultimately do almost everything.

Why are you making unique plugins or pallets? I ask because you can do most things with a tweak, config, existing plugin, edition or existing tools. This demonstrates how many people quickly move from using tiddlywiki to “improving it” because you can, but this is rarely nessasary. It is a tinkerers delight, but if not managed carefully can be a superior way to procrastinate, as for most similar tools.

4 Likes

I 100% agree. I’ve made some palettes in the past and was trying to make one after not having done so in a couple of years and I had a lot of trouble getting some of the details, even with the palettes plugin. There are just so many options and while many of the names are spot on for their function there are still more that could use descriptions. I had to randomly change variables to find what outlined all the text in the sidebar

2 Likes

Totally! I have a TW for every hobby and project :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Part of it is my crippling need to tweak things to my exact specifications. Hence the “I’m a Linux guy” generally speaking I’ve had few issues that were “limiting factors” I wanted to create a self hosted library with plugins I use for my webdav farm, in this case I just store all the pluggins in 1 master wiki, disable them, then fork them to new wikis when created so not having a library isn’t a total loss but now I have a 70mb wiki. As far as themes go in truth I’ve wanted to port 7css to tw for a while now. But not because I “need” it, it’s mostly I want to learn and create new things but it’s not always easy to find or read the documentation. Most times I find system tiddlers and learn from how they are constructed. Typical use cases I have are a TiddlyWiki HTA toolkit using welfords twexe to execute scripts and having a tw powered intranet. I like to make my own tweaks when I can like I made a file select widget (I am aware of browse my widget is just browse for HTA so it stores the entire file system address unlike browse as that function is limited by browser sandbox). But generally it’s a place where my ADHD runs rampant if I’m being honest.

2 Likes

I genuinely didn’t mean for it to be a critique, the sheer size, scope and compacity of TW would make noting everything very difficult just like Python eventually you have to get creative. I’ll always use tw forever.

1 Like

I just suggest adding a template feature in the core

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I may have seen that before actually. What pallet changes I really wanted was tiddler transparency (I’ve since accomplished a rudimentary version of this I’m happy with) I will certainly be using this in the future!

1 Like

TiddlyWiki genuinely is one of the best tools I’ve ever used in my life. I’ve been going 3 years strong and I can’t ever see myself using anything else like it. It’s been so long that I can’t recall which tiddler it was that said this, but I remember first exploring the official site and reading some introductory material that was in the spirit of “it can take a while to grasp it, but once you get it, your world will open up to you”. And that’s exactly what happened to me about a year or a year and a half into learning the basic concepts like widgets, macros, and viewtemplates, because I realized it’s not just a wiki or a notetaking software. You can use it to do, well, virtually anything, like you said. And that is such an exciting and powerful feeling as someone who has a rather scarce background in programming, because it essentially is its own kind of programming that feels far easier to get into. The difficulty curve is definitely there, partially due to the documentation I can agree, but the time and frustration spent learning it was absolutely worth what it’s allowed me to do with it now - and I’m always learning something new every time I work with it!

I’ve made so many projects in this software and each one gets more ambitious and complicated than the last as I learn. I’m a very artsy person, and I’ve always found TiddlyWki especially exciting both for archiving/documenting/organizing story material as well being as a medium in itself for telling stories, the latter of which is what my current passion project is all about. The community is so vibrant and creative too, and I’m always impressed by the plugins and designs that people can come up with in their own projects. I wouldn’t be where I am without its community (even though I haven’t directly participated in it much yet)! Thank you everyone for your passion over so many years, it’s truly inspirational.

6 Likes

Me too. Welcome to the TWylight Zone.

2 Likes

Hm :thinking:Ya know, I know it hasn’t been in dicussion for a bit but, if we ever need another alternative to the tiddlywiki namesake, TinkerWiki does fit suprisingly well.

. . .

And, I agree with the sentiment shared by OP, TiddlyWiki is really a fantastic tool.
Features it may not have now, I wouldn’t be suprised if someday it adopts. (Personally, I’m hoping one day it can somehow communicate with iMAP /CalDav for use as basically a web outlook alternative, or something akin to smartsheet)

And, yea… TW does have points that it can be improved on (documentation being the biggy from general consensus), I think that actually plays to its strengths a bit, though some community made plugins really should be the default IMO, but TBH my opinions are pretty biased lol

4 Likes

Tinker Wiki? Is that a separate code based all together or a tw5 edition? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Is it like WoaS/FeatherWiki/TWClassic? A separate system altogether? My curiosity is peaked lol

Ah, no haha sorry for the confusion. There has been discussion i nthe past fof an alternative name for rebranding tiddlywiki, and several names were given, but tinkerwiki was not one anyone thought of at that time.

However, having read the comments here made me think of it, and I thought it had a nice ring and thus, it was mentioned.

Sorry to get your hopes up and derail the thread, my friend. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lore!

I’ve learned more lore about tiddlywiki! Matpat would be proud!

Honestly it’s fine I’m not looking for anything other then tiddlywiki. Truthfully migration from my massive tw depending setup would be a nightmare! I now even use tw to write software ID need to totally retool x.x it’s cool knowing the names tiddlywiki may have had! A cool discovery all the same!

I would argue it may still be less of a nightmare than exiting any other tool, why?, because there is power within TiddlyWiki to format and export your data.

• Behind this is a “design sensibility” I have applied, to keep the data (Usually the text field) separate from the UI, Process and Logic to as to always maintain this possibility. This is a good approach for other reasons as well.