TiddlyFlex - back to development

Hello Tiddlywikians,

I’m back with development on TiddlyFlex

Now I wanted to gather some ideas and see what problems Users ran into using it
Are there even people using it, I don’t know :slight_smile:

• I want to add the buttons in the top panel to the page controls
  • I want to add a control panel switcher to turn panels on / off and change their order by dragging

If you have any ideas I would really appreciate, now is the time to throw them at me :grin:

I thank you in advance for your comments, ideas and bug reports!

Best wishes and a good Sunday,
Simon

6 Likes

OK, my first question is; Is this how it is supposed to look?

I ask because, frankly, the first impression is very confusing for me. Just being honest because maybe I’m not the only one. If the idea is to directly display “the features”, may I propose to do it gradually, by letting the user toggle the various layout elements?

…or is perhaps the idea that “Mat, this is of course is for mobile, don’t tell me you’re still using laptops in 2024?”

Thanks for your work! I think it can be great!

Hi @BurningTreeC great to read you are on this topic again, I think especially with the prospective rise of multi-user-TWs with the future development, your flex-multicolumn layout will be more and more important to gain an overview and display the entries of different users.
For this usecase it would be great to have the ability to have flex-columns with custom filters - eg. allowing to show the newest tiddlers of a specific user. (If such a filter was used to build the column, the possibility to add tiddlers by drag and drop of course would not apply.)
What I longed for last time (but alas not really was able to implement to my wiki) would be a more modular design of the plugin, which would allow more easily using the fantastic responsiveness of your design as an alternative story river whereever needed.
I am building a classroom-screen-plugin, where I would like to show the widgets in your flex-layout - in a sidebar.
So again many thanks for your work on this! Jan

1 Like

I did mention this in your previous thread, but here it is again:

Would you add the drag-drop button to the Page Toolbar, so that when the Top Toolbar is disabled, one can still use the drag-drop functionality? Same for the buttons to add and remove columns.

And on the note of toolbars, consider adding the Top Toolbar to the Toolbars, under Appearance in the ControlPanel, to make it easier for users to choose which buttons they want it to display.

Hello @Elijah

I just released version 0.1.0 and there the buttons are available as Page Toolbar buttons
There’s also the possibility in the ControlPanel to enable/disable Top-/Left-/Bottom Toolbars

Thank you for your input,
Simon

1 Like

Hi @twMat

On your screenshot it looks indeed confusing, it’s a pretty narrow screen or a lower resolution. I’ve only tested on high resolution screens to be honest. It’s not a mobile-first layout.

Thank you,
Simon

Hi @JanJo

Does the filter you can apply to the visible columns fit those needs?
One could for example enter a username in the search field and hit the filter button, that should then filter out columns of other users

I know, you asked before if I can make certain features of the plugin modular but it’s difficult to do so because the features are all so intertwingled.
Can you explain more precisely which feature should be a module?

Thank you,
Simon

I’m on a 14" laptop but I have it set the browser “page zoom” to 110% because of weak eyes. I’d guess this is not entirely uncommon, for that reason. But I’m not sure this is why your site appears as in my screenshot because even if I zoom out to 100% it looks basically the same!

And for the OS (Win11) the settings stick to the recommended scale and resolution which I assume are defaults, but I’m not fully sure becuase the recommended scale is actually 150% (!)

Could you give a screenshot of how it is supposed to look?

2 Likes

Hi @twMat

This is how it looks on my screen, but I have a 27’’ monitor

2 Likes

OK, that looks great!

I’d think few laptops are that size. Do you think you could adapt TiddlyFlex to also cater for standard size laptop screens? (probably >13") Perhaps even standard ipad size tablets?

@twMat

Yes, I think that’s possible.
I’ll look into the css and try making it more responsive for smaller screens

3 Likes

Hello @twMat

currently the CSS should have a breakpoint at 1200px
in your case the layout should change to mobile layout

I know that’s not the best solution for you, it’s an ongoing experiment
Would you please tell me if you like it?

Thank you,
Simon

If you have any ideas I would really appreciate

My only feedback is more of a question - I have always wondered why your settings pages are styled to look like Google’s Material Design.

You could perhaps save a few kilobytes where you are styling the settings page, by removing that styling, and instead using the user’s stylesheet.

Hi @BurningTreeC, I am back from holidays:

Therefor the newly created tiddlers would have to be oben in one column already -right? I think it would be more practical to be able to oben a column with all tiddlers by one person to drag them into the main thread from there. (Of course, dragging into that collumn would not work…)

I would like to have a configurable flex storyriver in for my sidebar. It would be great to be able to call this with a global macro like <<flexcollumn storytiddler(the tiddler storing the storylist) filter(displayed at start if no storytiddler exists) class tiddlertemplate>>
It would fill 100% of the given width by default.
Your plugin would be great for this because of its marvelous animation.

I hope this does not sound crazy. It would really help me a lot.
Best wishes Jan

1 Like

Right, it looks much better now.

BTW, do you have any particular contexts or applications that you’d say this is particularly suitable for?

Idea: it would be good if the upper right tool buttons had tooltips. It is not clear what they do, even after clicking some of them.

Hi @twMat

Well I don’t know which applications this could be particularly suitable for.
That’s something the community can figure out.

Yes I’ll add these tooltips!

Best wishes,
Simon

1 Like

Hello all,

TiddlyFlex has now been updated to version 0.1.3

It includes tooltips for the Top-Toolbar buttons and fixes for the Ensamble saver

On the demo page there’s also a “How To” Ensemble that shows how to add toolbars, buttons to the top toolbar … more to come

3 Likes

Lovely!
Is there a setting to show the tiddler hamburger button on mouse hover?

1 Like

Hi @Mohammad , what do you mean?
Showing the dropdown menu of the hamburger on mouse hover?

Hi Simon,
In the current design all tiddlers show a hamburger menu button on top right. I asked, is there any setting to hide them by default and display when tiddler get focused (e.g. mouse hover)?