The collaborative browser based IDE

Indirectly related to WebContainers run Node.js natively in your browser. Could it be usefull for tiddlywiki? I just got a free account on replit and with little effort ran an instance of tiddlywiki based on github.

I would like some developers to tell me what they think.

I was initially interested because I wanted to see if I could leverage the editor on tiddlers within a browser on single file wikis and was surprised how easy to was to run tiddlywiki off git hub and save changes.

I have used replit a lot for coding assignments.

If you use free account for hosting then you should know that they put replit to sleep after some time. So next time when you launch replit it has to cold start which takes longer time.

If you decide to pay for replit then I think there are better options than replit for hosting your TW.

1 Like

Related thread from almost 4 years ago: https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/rmhLkMw-QmM.

Instead of installing tiddlywiki from github I took the approach of installing the released tiddlywiki package from npm. Looks like 5.1.18 was the version back then. See here for the package.json file I used:

The index.js file gets automatically launched by replit and I added code there which reads username/password information from a .env file and launches tiddlywiki accordingly. Here is the index.js file:

If you fork my repl then you won’t get the .env file and the tiddlywiki will be wide open for read and write, but you can make your own .env file.

This is just something I experimented with back then. I haven’t used the tiddlywiki there since then.

1 Like