Substituted Attribute Values

The Substituted Attribute Values introduced in TiddlyWiki 5.3.0.

It is very powerful and saves one for writing extra macros, variables, but it has got less attention. I like to ask for sharing your examples here to see where and how we can use this feature.

@atronoush this is a valuable subject you raise. I have being working on the more general question of substitution as a whole, rather than specifically the new backtick forms of substitution which is only one way to go about it.

• The key observation so far for me is only the first value will returned.
  • Although if you wanted to pass a list into an attribute you can use join and or the new substitute operator.

However I am finding I am getting the most value from the new functions, see here How to set a tiddly field with the output of a macro call - #4 by TW_Tones

1 Like

I found this interesting thread:

1 Like

The main reason for its implementation is pretty much described in the examples. It’s needed to simplify the creation of external links using variables.

It’s related to the substitute-operator

As so often. It depends on the use-case.

1 Like

Keep in mind the OT was focused on the use of the back tick forms of attribute value.

If I need to join values from different sources such as strings fields and variables I find the back tick method suitable for once off applications like a tool tip.

However if the result is something I want to use more than once I move it into a function with a meaningful name.

1 Like