Show visible guidance for How To category

Where is the Guidance on that that a poster would see?

The “About the How To category” post is pinned at the top of said category and is the first thing that a first time poster will see there.

If you have alternative ideas for what the post should say, or where information should be displayed, please contribute:

The onus to help figure out how to best go about things and enable a better community experience is on all of us.

1 Like

Thanks @saqimtiaz for forking this. I certainly don’t think it is your issue.

The issue is what do you see on first entry?

I think the idea there is an obvious Pin is naive. It assumes more than what actually a user focuses on. Especially if they are new.

An issue in Discourse is it IS intelligent. But I’m doubtful that connection to intelligence can be assumed.

Let us see. I do watch to see how newbies cope.

Best wishes
TT

I’m not seeing anything pinned. Is it some weird setting I’ve happened to choose?

1 Like

Right.

I dunno if the “pinology” on Discourse is smart enough it targets newbies?

My main concern is that asserting things users should not do needs some kinda framework everyone should know before they write a word.

Just a comment
TT

1 Like

Ciao @saqimtiaz, I think the issue is that Discourse is rich. On the one hand it looks easy. On the other hand there is sophisticated differentiation. My main concern is that “we”, the inhabitants of it now, underestimate the issues a new user faces.

IMO Discourse should always advise a user of it’s rules when, if you do not follow them, you will get moderated.

This aspect of Discourse is liminal at the moment whereas it should be explicit.

My 2 cents
TT

I did start a new thread in the “Team” category. So we will see what the other moderators think.

From my point of view it should be changed. I think it’s extremely confusing as it is atm.

1 Like

Sounds good. Where is it? All I see is this …

Best, TT

I’m talking about this:

The problem atm is, that if you read the post it is automatically unpinned. It seems it’s possible to change this, so the user can manually unpin the topic, if they don’t like it anymore.

PMario is talking about changing the default setting for everyone on Discourse. You can already change this setting for yourself personally under Preferences → Interface → Other (Automatically unpin topics when I reach the bottom.)

That’s nice, but new users don’t know this.

1 Like

Right. But I thought TT might appreciate knowing about the option now while waiting for a consensus.

I do. Tx,

I think the point is clarifying if it is necessary for function. What I mean is IF moderation will not allow certain kinds of posts then it would be better the pin should not be removable for such cases.

The problem I am having is Discourse is seemingly arbitrary rules. HOW would a newbie fathom them all?

Just a comment
TT

Unfortunately, at least per the link, it’s not possible to specify pin/unpin per category – only for the entire site. The downside of permanently pinning material is the loss of screen space. This becomes an even bigger problem on cellphones.

To my way of thinking, if the user can manually unpin a topic, then by the action of unpinning they’ve agreed that they’ve read the material. At the moment, we’re not sure if they can unpin the topic if auto unpin is turned off. Probably. But it needs to be tested.

1 Like

Right.

Otherwise I might have had to sing (to Old Town Road)…

"DISCOURSE DEAD-ENDS

I wish I was bright enough to see
What others see
I’ll have to habit this-n-that
Keep my horse in store
Underneath the mag
Stuck in macro snag

TiddlyWiki horse
TiddlyWiki horse

Yeah, I’m taking Tiddly
To the other shore
With moss and foam