[RFC] Alternative List Items and features on items in a list

Folks, I have found an easy way to enhance the list item template throughout tiddlywiki, I will explain that a little more in the next paragraph. The thing is when this becomes easy to do the possible combinations that people may make use of, is extensive. So I am requesting community members let me know what they would like to see appear on listItems, there are some examples below.

Background

Throughout tiddlywiki and when you use the $list widget it is common to generate a list of items, typically tiddler titles. Common examples include the results from Advanced Search, Open, Recent tabs and even the table of contents.

For example;

• The result is a list of titles we can navigate to.

Customised

However if you write your own list widgets you discover you can add more information to each line or display things in different ways. For example if the tiddler is a tag display it as a tag pill.

For example;
Snag_22660474

Request for Comment

What kind of information and features would you like to be able see on list items?

I hope this may help us learn what the community values and to share ideas about what we may want to do when enhancing list items. I can also see if there are features that are in high demand and include them in my solution “custom List items”.

Tiddlers also tags as tag Pills
The above “customised” is one example of mine, this helps because I use enhancements to the tag pill that allow all kinds of features and actions on any tag, in an advanced search list.

The following is an example of this integrated into AdvancedSearch

List tags on each tiddler
The following is an example of displaying a tag pill for each tag on a ListItem

The reason I am presenting this to the community is to both inspire and seek feedback, in part because I have a large suite of features I can place on list items but no idea what you would like or prefer me to make available in such a solution.

• I will share some more of my top features for custom list items once I hear from you.
1 Like

Post Script;

I started on this journey, to build a method into the listItem templates, to allow a subfilter to limit the scope of your search. For example limit the results only to tiddlers that are also tags ie is[tag], the design approach came about whilst trying to find a way to customise the results of the Advanced search tabs.

• I now need to establish if this should also be built into the above custom listitems solution or separately?
  • The mechanisms for both overlap a little so a combined solution may be better.
  • Alternatively I make the custom list items solution more hackable, but more complex.
1 Like

Found An idea waiting for its creator: a list-search plugin with dropdowns to select list filter and list item template

Here is a list item template for sliders that when opened show the text of the tiddler. This allows viewing the content right in the list widget or list-search without losing one’s place in the listl

<details><summary><b><$view field="title"/></b>&nbsp;<$link>*</$link></summary><span class="graybox">

<$transclude field="text" mode="block"/>

</span></details>

And here is the graybox css:

html body.tc-body .ltgray2 {display:block;background-color:#f1f1f1;padding:10px;margin-left:20px;margin-top:5px;margin-bottom:5px;width:95%;}

[edit: made the summary section bold]

1 Like