Request to Expand Categories

While having a lot of categories will make them ineffective and useless, but we need to expand the current set!

I think there was some discussion started by @EricShulman in Google Forum about a suitable set of categories (i.e. tags or labels)

He even discussed cases such as singular or plural names for tags (e.g. plugin or plugins etc.)

I may recommend having that experience expand the current set of categories!

Some crude suggestion:

theme, filter, palette, template, macro

bug, announcement, tip

With the aim of being newbie friendly, maybe add “saver” or some more intuitive name for people just trying to save for the first time, or pick a different saver? Maybe label as platform or something instead… don’t know.

I think these would be more useful as tags than categories.

The other tool / feature we haven’t used yet here that would be good for this is the wiki feature. In discourse — this just means that multiple people can edit the same post, rather than just replying.

I’ve posted an example for people to try:

So, someone could make a “best plugins for teaching” or “awesome savers for MacOS”.

1 Like

Creation of new tags should be enabled for all users @Mohammad. Give it a try and see what you think. I’ve added some tags to your post as well as moved it to the #meta category for site feature discussions.

Hi Saq,
I did not know in Discourse you can have Categories and Tags in the same time!
That s really cool! I agree with your suggestion! I think this needs more thinking and investigation to have a good set of tags, and categories!

Thank you @boris. I will try that!
I am not familiar with Discourse, so I am experimenting, but I will absolutely recommend to not open this option anyone can add a tag! then you will encounter even with duplicates and misspelled cases!

WOW! It is really amazing! Having multiple contributors to create such stuffs is absolutely amazing!

And just to be clear – I totally think we should have more categories, but we should think about some specific ones AND also perhaps have some users to take responsibility for them.

For example, I think a “Use Cases” or “Case Studies” category, which collects things like that recent Woocommerce + TiddlyWiki would be really great to curate:

Let’s get people using this for a while, and maybe have another live community call in a month or so.

Please DO keep making #meta suggestions – this is a community “home base”, so everyone should talk about what’s important to them.

P.S. We could even do a poll, although that gets a bit tricky to be voting on everything :slight_smile:

How many more categories should get added?

0 voters

1 Like

Thank you Boris!
Agree!

@Boris, as a compromise can we set it up so you have to have a specific trust level to add a tag? Or is that even already enabled? (Maybe makes sense to leave it open to everyone until the forum gets going, though.)

Right now “basic” users (most new users) can create new tags. It autocompletes existing which is pretty good.

We can change the trust level higher if need be.

Moderators have tools on the backend to join / merge tags.

1 Like

Boris,

I believe the first tags and or categories to create relate to the elements we use every day in tiddlywiki. Here are a few but there may be others.

stylesheets, plugins, tags, editions, macros, languages, layouts, themes, pallets, exporters, widgets, releases/TW version (eg min version)

Perhaps resources, documentation or community.

Also perhaps the general thread can be liberal with tags, and others not? Prior experience on mine suggests you will have a flurry of new ones and it will quickly become evident which are important but it is always smart to “seed the list” to encourage use and cater for expected tags and categories, this seeding has the effect of directing people towards a standard.

I think we should start with “pre seeded” tags first and then we will see if categories are needed.