Questions for using Memory Keeper TW

I am a complete Tiddlywiki newb, but I wanted to start using it for tracking genealogical info. Previously I’ve just been using a text file and searching, but this looks like it would work much, much better. Is there some way to modify the calendar to just track “startDate” and “endDate” fields (and “eventDate” if feasible – it’s a field I’ve been using for weddings)? Currently, it also tracks “created” and “modified” which makes it look very confusing.

1 Like

Take a look at this Memory Keeper — Help 0.0.10

1 Like

This is absolutely amazing, and I thank you!

1 Like

Thanks should go to the creator @clsturgeon

1 Like

Absolutely!

I’m still playing around with it, but I’m not sure how you would modify tags. For instance, the “organization” tag asks you to differentiate between a “business organization,” a “military organization,” or a “native nation.” I’d like to add another option, “church organization,” which doesn’t really fit any of those categories.

I think you should start a separate thread for this question and @clsturgeon will definitely help you when he see the message…this thread belongs to the Calendar plug in.

1 Like

Here you go, I’ve split it to a new topic for Memory Keeper discussion.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I figured out my quandary in any case – Memory Keeper is as easy to modify as the base TiddlyWiki. I simply created a new tiddler, copied the body of it from Business Organizations, and duplicated the tags. Easy peasy, new Organization type.

EDIT: Aaand, it’s not quite that simple. Ah well, good practice to plug away.

So, I now have a sidebar item “Church Organizations,” under the Organizations sub-tab in the Contents tab. And if I open it, I can create a church organization by clicking the “+church organization” button at the bottom. But the “Church Organizations” tiddler does not list the tiddlers tagged with “Church Organization.” Very puzzling.

There are two tiddlers to create, one to define any new custom organization tags. And, another to create a new menu item (which I think you were trying to do).

Create a tiddler like “my custom organizations” (you can do better than that). Tag it with $:/tags/mk/organizations

In the text field list all your custom organization tags. Space separated. Do not use existing tags. church is already used for a place. Be creative, like church_organization.

This tiddler tells MK about any custom organizations.

Create the menu tiddler “Church Organizations”. Tag it with “Organizations”. Add a few fields. countlabel with a value of “church organizations”. tagg (yes 2 g’s) with a value of “church_organization”.

Save. Test.

As part of your test, create a new tiddler. Start with no tags. Select organization from the list of tags. You should automatically see “church_organization” in the updated selectable list.

Build 11 is coming soon. I’m also trying to fix up the doc. In a similar way you can also add custom places and events.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

That is fantastic information! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Weirdly, I get a new tiddler with the tags “organization” and “music-group”? I tried creating a few different types of organization, but all of them come up with “music-group” instead of, say, “church_organization”. To clarify, I can delete the “music-group” tag and then I get a list that includes my custom-created organizations, but it’s weird that “music-group” starts out by default.

Oh my. That is not good. There must be an old custom tag defined somewhere that I used to test it in the system. I remember testing with music-group. I’ll investigate later tonight when I get a chance.

However, you should be able to remove it. Thanks.

@ishldgetoutmore This is actually an issue with one of the templates. An immediate fix can be implemented by importing this content. Either download or otherwise save the content of link below as a .json file that you can import. Once you have the file, you can drag and drop it onto TW’s river to import.

https://clsturgeon.github.io/MemoryKeeper/support/downloads/%24__plugins_cls_mk_organizationtemplate.json

Let me know if that solves it.

Craig

1 Like

That solved the issue with the “music-group” tab!

1 Like

clsturgeon, how do I fill in the “fields” in a Person tiddler? Person field blanks are provided for “Caption,” “Show Age,” “Birth Order,” “AKA,” “Description,” “Icon,” “Image,” “Image Caption,” “Blood Type,” “Tree Names,” “Keyword,” and Select Father/Mother/Adopted Parents/Spouses/Occupations/Project/Tasks. I don’t see anywhere to put “Date of birth,” “Birth place,” “Date of death,” “Age,” “Death place,” “Date of burial,” or “Burial place.”

Nevermind! I figured it out! Took me long enough!

Question for you, Mr. @clsturgeon, how would I go about adding additional event categories?

@ishldgetoutmore

Review the online help.

https://clsturgeon.github.io/MemoryKeeper

Search for “Custom Event Types”

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Apologies! I should have thought to look there first!