Questions for using Memory Keeper TW

This looks like an edition that could be published on TiddlyWiki.com

3 Likes

Mr. @clsturgeon, is there a way to add a new Person type? Can I make a “MyCustomPeopleTypes” tiddler, then give it the $:/tags/mk/people tag, and then make new People types, such as, say, “nonbinary”?

No. I have been working with @ChrisW on custom event types. Specifically, we are experimenting with custom secondary types. Secondary types/tags are not primary event tags. Birth death and marriage are primary, where a secondary is a sub tag associated with primary tag. Chris’ example was “disaster”.

I mention this because currently there is no support for either custom primary or secondary tags for a person.

For most attributes for a person I prefer to use a field, not a tag. Your example seems okay by me for a tag. Regardless when it comes to custom tags the user should have control.

I have documented that the current gender tags are to be used to define the gender at birth. Therefore, if I implemented custom person tags I would likely not have any of them override the male/female tags. But this obviously does not stop the user from not selecting one of them.

Bottom line, I’ll review.

Aside: build 11 is available and if we can workout secondary custom tags, build 12 may quickly follow.

Thanks,

Craig

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing how it develops! Thank you so much!

FYI. I have released build 12 of the Memory Keeper. Includes bug fixes and better support for custom events, sources, places, etc. Please review the release notes.

1 Like

I may have discovered another bug. If I create a “water vehicle” or “road vehicle,” they show up correctly under the “Water Vehicles” and “Road Vehicles” tiddlers. But “aircraft vehicles” do not. The “Aircraft” tiddler has the following:

<span class="tc-subtitle">There are <$count filter="[tag[vehicle]tag[airplane]search:title{$:/config/References/searchstrings!!possession-search}][tag[vehicle]tag[helicoper]search:title{$:/config/References/searchstrings!!possession-search}] +[sort[title]]"/> aircraft vehicles.

I think this is the culprit, and it should be [tag[vehicle]tag[aircraft], since there aren’t “airplane” or “helicoper” [sic] tags, correct?

1 Like

For the information of other people who are impacted by this issue, I have changed the “Aircraft” tiddler in my instance to the following and it seems to work!

<<showsearchbox "possession">>
<span class="tc-subtitle">There are <$count filter="[tag[vehicle]tag[aircraft]search:title{$:/config/References/searchstrings!!possession-search}] +[sort[title]]"/> aircraft vehicles.</span><br/>
<div class=events style="padding-top:5px; float:right;">
<$button><$action-sendmessage $message="tm-new-tiddler" title="Aircraft Title" $fields$ tags="vehicle aircraft" />{{$:/core/images/new-button}} aircraft</$button><br/></div>
<div class="list">
<$list filter="[tag[vehicle]tag[aircraft]search:title{$:/config/References/searchstrings!!possession-search}] +[sort[title]]">
<$link to=<<currentTiddler>>><$view field='title'/><br/></$link>
<div style="margin:0 0 0 40px">
<$list filter={{!!people}}>
<$link to=<<currentTiddler>>><$view field='title'/><br/></$link>
</$list>
</div>
<div style="margin:0 0 0 40px">
<$list filter="[tag[event]contains:vehicle{!!title}sort[title]]">
<$link to=<<currentTiddler>>><$view field='title'/></$link><br/>
</$list>
</div>
</$list></div>
1 Like

@arunnbabu81 Thanks for reporting. I can confirm build 12 has this issue. Build 13, released about a week ago has this fixed. I did not immediately see your post. Please add the @ tag with my ID so I get notified. Thank you.

Hmmm, I updated my instance just before this, I must have just missed it! Thanks!

@clsturgeon Apologies, sir! Is there a way enabled to for an Object tiddler (or really, any tiddler that doesn’t already allow for an image by default, such as the Person tiddlers) to display an image in the tile? I feel like that’s probably a bunch of code that’s likely unneeded by the vast majority, but I figured I’d ask in case it was something obvious I missed.

1 Like

@ishldgetoutmore No need to apologize for asking questions.

Do you mean can I add support for the image field for objects, where the image appears when viewing an object tiddler?

If so, that is easy/quick to do. I’ve been lazy and put img tag references in the body of tiddler to show an image of an object.

From your point of view, what other MK entities need this?

You used term tile, so I’m a bit confused.

If you create photograph tiddlers and associate those to an object, those photos appear on the Media—>Photograph tab for an object in a grid/tile form.

I’m sorry, I always think of the tiddlers as they display as a “tile” (the tiddler is a portion of code, after all; I call it “tile” to mean the “tiddler as displayed”). I hadn’t thought of making a list (because I’m an extreme newbie at coding, as I’ve displayed by my ignorance multiple times in this thread :slight_smile: ) but I think you already have Image display built into all the other entities I can think of (Events, Persons, Organizations, Places…)

In any case, if you’ve got a full schedule, I’ll be happy to use the Photograph trick! Thank you kindly for your prompt reply!

@ishldgetoutmore No worries, I get it. It makes sense. It’ll go into build 14. Which I hope to release mid September. I thought build 14 would be just bug fixes, where there are a few, but I could not leave it alone. I had to add more features.

1 Like

So, I’ve gotten my Memory Keeper instance to 369 people, and today decided to update it because it was still at 0.0.10 and the latest release is 0.0.18. I’d downloaded an empty 0.0.18 and it’s gorgeous, what an amazing job you’ve done, @clsturgeon ! Anyway, I followed the steps, but something must have hiccuped. When I click on the various categories in the table of contents (Places, Events, etc.) there’s a delay, but the list comes up fine. In the case of Events, that’s a list of 1,087 events, so that’s fantastic. However, when I try to list People, there’s a very long pause and then returns a malformed tiddler. It looks like there’s a “\define real(title) \end” in there, and two sets of buttons. Under the screenshot is a bunch of info from the very first People entry, repeated three times. Very strange!

@ishldgetoutmore The long delays may be solvable with configuration. Navigate to the Control Panel (with no other tiddlers open), specifically to Info–>Memory Keeper–>Settings. Review all the settings. Halfway down are “Performance Settings”. Make sure each “Limit” setting is set to something. I have People Limit set to 50, but 25 or 30 might be better. Be consistent, set the other limits to the same value (except Photograph and Tile Pagination limits. Set those to 6).

The screenshot suggests that no tab is selected. It appears the tiddler that persists the selected tab was not created during the upgrade. To resolve click on one of the tabs. That should be it. The tab selected will persist. I highly recommend you use the Vital Views… its the best one.

Aside: in the Settings I recommend you change the tab look setting (from that standard TW tab view) to “bar” (this is the 2nd setting from the top). It will provide a better look, but in the end your choice.

Hope this works for you.

1 Like

You are, once again, a marvel, sir! This all did the trick! I was too paranoid about making the apparent glitch with People worse, when I should have just played around. The performance settings trick worked perfectly. Thanks again!

2 Likes

@ishldgetoutmore thanks for the kind words.