Plugin Idea: Tix – New Tiddler Layout (for TW >= 5.2.1)

Hi Josiah,

Interesting – I will keep this in mind. I am not sure though. Maybe you shold save your favourite layout in an empty TW as your starter edition and then throw content at it. Or would it be better to have content first and then throw a layout (configuration) at it? Would you have examples where this could be useful?

Good night,
t

Hi all,

A new version 0.5 is up for your amusement under the usual address: Tix v0.5 — A Novel Tiddler Experience
(The old ones can still be found by adding their number like tix04.html.)

Almost everything is new and better – but not much of that is visible at first sight. What you will notice is: Icon Independence Day has come. The tiddler icon is no longer part of the title/id, but a full blown member of the tiddler like other elements – with its own view template. The only thing it has still in common with the title/id is that it is turned into a link at the same time. So if you opt for links in titles (active in the demo), the icon becomes a link too.

Otherwise, besides the look not much stayed the same. The Story UI sidebar tab makes useful configurations easy. And not so useful combinations are possible too. I tried to keep complexity low, but that is difficult with a growing list of features.

I will stop writing here and go to bed now. The docs in the demo are updated.

Have fun,
Thomas

2 Likes

Very nice! I was just thinking about icons today. My thinking didn’t amount to much. Yours amounted to a nice alternate placement!

Also, for those commenting on my edittemplate checkbox thingy, that was a first step toward my Customizer plugin, CustomizerPlugin — Reimagining TiddlyWiki, . This plugin was in part to show/hide UI elements, and in part to maximize the sidebar with custom content. See images below. I mention it not to draw attention to myself or to draw attention away from Thomas’ work, which I find fascinating and very useful, but only in the hopes that Thomas or anyone else here will find something useful in Customizer for your own projects.

1 Like

@telmiger, thanks for the notice.

Maybe this should be for a different thread?

It seems to me that saving a complete layout is good.

BUT, I also meant saving several layouts.

I’m not sure the idea fully fits with what you are doing as “layout” in TW could include many settings your tool does not cover. So the idea is somewhat broader. But I still think worth mentioning …

I DO think there is an argument to have a generic “Layout Saver” that …

1. could save what my TW currently looks like

2 . provide alternative layouts that could be radically different on click

1. improve precise layout portability

2. address specific use needs like a “one-click read-only”

Just, initial thoughts
TT

I’m not sure @DaveGifford we should do this here, maybe needs a new thread, though I think it relevant to @telmiger’s interest to mention …

The whole thing with how much you need set for a complete layout seems important.

I do very much like your Customizer. But is it enough?

My fantasy is a “Layout Saver” that saves the architectural stuff of @telmiger, adds a palette, adds tiddler width settings & alignment, removes any component not needed, and, a la you, tweaks anything left to tweak.

Activated through a one-click changer.

With saveable / restorable setups.

You get the idea?

Just a thought
TT

Hey, TT, we already have a generic “Saved Layout” – it is called a theme. Honestly, I think that part is solved and has been expanded to whole layouts since TW 5.2.1. And for the rest of your wish – I heard “make it easy to save theme variants”: @Mohammad is working on Gatha for that part: Proof of Concept: Gatha a Plugin Maker and Component Manager - #6 by Mohammad

After realizing the parts are there I think we can conclude: 1. Good you brought this up. 2. Your dream is not only a dream, it’s a thing. 3. There are other threads for it.

:wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I like the idea of being able to check a bunch of boxes and save a layout

Okay. Lesson taken. I’m behind already. I’ll try catch up.

TT, x

@telmiger told me off for not grasping the recent changes in TW that make this much, much easier. So, in purgatory, I defer for a moment, though I do think click-n-set-&-save will likely still be a good idea somehow even after my rehabilitation :smiley:.

TT

Me too. I am only at the tiddler level. After that, the sidebar is waiting, several navigations, the whole page layout, old mobile first themes would like to be updated. I am already looking forward to the next retirement. :wink:

There were so many bugs in version 0.5 that I just had to upload v0.6 before I will leave the house for a meeting this evening.
There remains much to be done and the interface is cluttered with buttons for testing purposes – but if someone finds the time to check the extended config options in the sidebar then it might be fun to try different button styles (at the bottom).
Hint: The new options – with/without text, include icon, empty buttons (!) as well as rounded and boxed styles – are standard TW settings you would find in the Control Panel. So not my own invention. (But I took some time to make them look o.k.)

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

May I ask a favor? Can you (or a mod) add “Tix” to the title somewhere? I keep forgetting that this is THAT project and have to scroll up to see if it’s Tix or not. lol

2 Likes

Love the overall look, so I have been playing with the Tix v0.06 and Shiraz 2.4.6 to see how an existing wiki migrates and my tiddlers with floating images cause the image to break the tiddler frame in Tix.

update: Just realized it was due to the change from .tc-tiddler-body to .ui-tiddler-body that was breaking the clear-float fix.

1 Like

Ah! Thank you – I will try to restore the original class tc-tiddler-body in the next release v0.8.

That said: v0.7 with all improvments from the weekend is available. Amongst many other things, sticky titles have been fixed for @TiddlyTweeter. (I could get used to them.)

Have fun!

1 Like

Ciao @telmiger

Thanks for listening! Sticky titles do have advantages that enhance use-end experience. Mainly on visual scroll navigation.

Just a comment
TT

1 Like

Ciao @telmiger 0.7 is excellent!

Realising a DESIGN is many things.

This is what was missing, that your approach may finally solve.

Integrative one-clicks designs an end-user could use to customise without needing to understand complex TW CSS.

Just a comment
TT

Thank you, Josiah!

Is there a reason, your arrow is pointing to the toolbar button design options? These are actually TW standard – available in the Control Panel and maybe overlooked by many. I just made them appear in the sidebar. And I took a lot of time to make sure they look good. (Hopefully.) :wink:

The advantage of having them in the sidebar is – at least on big screens – you see the effect without scrolling around.

1 Like

Yes. Simply because bringing them all under “ONE design interface” is much more effective.

It is certainly true that many, many settings for stuff on layout are under Control Panel. The power of TW! But, IMO, each setting is a “fragment” of the whole with no indication of how it exactly impacts what.

I like your approach because it tries to bring the “bits” together as a whole for more easily integrated layout.

I hope this is clearer?
TT

2 Likes

Exactly. That was the intention. Thank you for describing it so nicely!

2 Likes

Hello TW friends

Version 0.8 is ready for testing: Tix v0.8 — A Novel Tiddler Experience

There are many improvements under the hood, but also nice new options for easy configuration:

• Button to open palette chooser in new window
  • Range sliders for the text zoom (font size) and line-height
  • link on icon independent from id
  • hidden anchor text on the tiddler icon (accessibility)
  • focus visibility

This will be the last update for at least a week, so take your time.

All the best,
Thomas

2 Likes