Plan for a New Edition: A Free Pick of Tiddlywiki Scholar Features

@2right4 - very nice description! I added it to Thinkup docs. Thank you

Question: I think the current three tabs: node explorer, comments/ideas, and Todos are enough!
we can have instruction users add their own smart tabs (I have coded Thinkup in a modular way and I assume intermediate users can add simply their own tabs)

What do you think?

1 Like

I think these three are great to start! Happy to read that thinkup is modular so it is easy to add new tabs. One suggestion would be to create a tab for your refnotes plugin!

Ah thank you Odin! Good idea!
I am thinking to add some optional tabs! So user can show/hide them from Settings!

New Feature Thinkup 0.2.3

1. Based on @Odin request, now you have a category tab on the sidebar to show all todos from all tiddlers have a todolist.
  2. a button to manage and explore internal tiddlers is added

See screencast

434_%pn

1 Like

Some definition: New Terminology

Category tab: a sidebar tab coveys an important tag like Idea
These tabs are like folder and the tag they convey cover a wide range of notes. Thinkup has few category tabs like

• Ideas (conveys Idea tag)
  • Questions (convey Question tag)
  • People (conveys People tag)
  • Experiments (conveys Experiment tag)
  • Todos (lists all tiny tasks)
  • Comments (lists all tiddlers comments)

Smart tab: (adopted from Alberto Molino Magic tabs/Bottom tabs) is a tab appear at the bottom of each tiddler and show extra information like

• node explorer (all tiddlers have some relation to current tiddler)
  • comments (all tiddlers have comment/note on the current tiddler)
  • todos: all tiny tasks on the current tiddler

What do you think? What other categories/tags/folders do you propose?

What is the Experiments category?

Actually I used it for experimenting new things in Tiddlywiki but can have other meaning here!
I welcome suggestions here!

1 Like

Hello Mohammad
I would like to thank you for continuing to make magictabs compatible with the current version of tiddlywiki. The original was a great piece of work which I didn’t really appreciate as my understanding of tw and it’s features were beyond my comprehension at the time.
I like the idea that it will be modular and allow multiple tiddler types to be created, as I believe although there are a multitude of common uses for tw there are also many individual uses or adaptations that can be created.
I would like to suggest that a document(s) category be added to your list of categories.

E.G.
Design Documents
Process Documents
Materials Specifications
Design Specifications
Technical Specifications

Regarding the new features,

I would like to see some method of toggling toolbar buttons for reader mode /author mode. Along the lines of similar recent discussions on this forum.

Possible styling via checkbox features / data tiddler maybe.

I also think that your quick tables / Shiraz features could be added with great affect.

Not wanting to be pushy, but is there a demo or pre- release version of this tool available that we could look at to see where you are coming from re scripts etc.

Regards
Scot

1 Like

Hi Scot,
Many thanks for your comments!
Sure I will consider those ideas implementable!
I plan to publish an edition, I will add some minimum plugins then! including Utility to be able to switch to reader/author mode and Shiraz for creating stylish content!

These are good suggestion. I am trying to make the process simple. If I can add a button so, one can simply add a new category tab!

I will soon upload a beta release to experiment!

1 Like

That sounds great, I can’t wait to see your released version.
Thanks,
Scot

I had some more progress on building thinkup and hopefully will release the new edition soon!
It is called Mehregan!

As the public release is not ready, those who like to get the in-progress nightly build of Mehregan, drop me a private note with their email to receive the nightly build and send me their feedbacks.

img_651_%pn

Category tabs in the sidebar

• Category tabs have important tags (category)
  • They use template and new button to create new items in that category
  • They use Shiraz macros to create pretty image
6 Likes

New update

Mehregan has got shortcut keys through Thinkup plugin

• new idea tiddler alt+A
  • new source tiddler alt+S
  • new people tiddler alt+P
  • new task tiddler alt+T

img_664_%pn

Category tabs in Mehergan are searchable! Just from setting tab turn on the searchboxes

Shortcut keys are working there: Escape cancel search and clear the searchbox

img_666_%pn

2 Likes

Keywords act like tags and include tags of the same name!
You can drag and drop them! (keywords functionality was borrowed from kookma Solution plugin)

img_670_%pn

2 Likes

Thinkup plugin in Mehregan now uses the amazing cascades feature of Tiddlywiki 5.2.1p

(open https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#%24%3A%2FControlPanel , then click on AdvancedCascades)

The cascades allow to set icons for few tiddlers types (categories)

• Task
  • Idea
  • People
  • Source
  • Journal

Uses special icons to prettify your wiki!

5 Likes

@Mohammad I am following this with Interest. I have some similar informal “editions” but look forward to review this for a fit.

• Have you a public demo yet?

Some thoughts
I understand you have a “process” but I find in the attempt to be productive capturing how one does something, it you need to log it, or expect to do something similar again in the future It is wise to write a “work Instruction”, well designed these can generate an instance of something for example if I had a work instruction for building a new website, I would clone it for the next website.

This can be taken a lot further an may deserve its own wiki however I think a basic work instruction would be appropriate in this solution. It can be used for self documentation or to capture reusable processes. Ideally we collaborate and set a de facto work instruction standard so these can be dragged and dropped between wikis or perhaps one day from a library, especially for TiddlyWiki instructions.

Hi @TW_Tones - many thanks for your thoughts and ideas!
I tried to use modular programming to be usable in other projects!
The only difference here Mehregan uses several plugins to work! So, I had to go through an edition!

There are some bugs and no documentation at all! but I was asked by several people and I shared an incomplete beta version! I will soon push a beta release on GitHub and share a demo here!

1 Like

I have added Journal category to Thinkup (Mehregan Edition)
The Journal tiddler has interstitial journaling as an option at the bottom of tiddler

See Some Crude Ideas for Journal Tiddler - #6 by Mohammad

A beta release for evaluation has been released.
See: Mehregan Edition: First public beta release