Paste from Clipboard?

Is there any possibility of an action that allows the content of the local clipboard to be accessed and used in tiddlywiki? I understand it may require an interactive user trigger, alternatively is ctrl-v into a field, or is the default import the only way?

The reason I ask is there are number of cases where we can improve workflow by being able to simplify this step. It is compliant with the trend to create “one click” solutions.

I have a use case for this too and asked about it back in the GG forum. Apparently it is a browser security issue. If a webpage could access your clipboard, then it could also send it back to a server. Or at least that’s how I remember it.

I was hoping someone would come up with a better answer, but I guess that’s the current status.

1 Like

@Mark_S I expect the security relating to the desktop is an impediment to paste from clipboard but I would just share with you a substantial if only partial solution.

I have designed a range of copy to clipboard buttons I can install in my TiddlyWiki’s, but in doing so I also copy to “clipboard tiddlers” so I can paste from a built in tiddlywiki clipboard. With a little extra effort I could drag a clipboard with content across wikis as well.

Also another avenue is automated construction of bookmarklets as a clipboard with content. Just drag to bookmarks and Jump to the target wiki and click to paste. Then have a paste from tiddlywiki clipboard where every you want.

Also using a save as json and easy workflows to import is also a good alternative in many cases. Ask if you want to explore how I could possibly suggest this, my expertise in Window’s only.

Finally, a related tip on windows rather than ctrl-v to paste using windows-v allows you to see the clipboard history. So although we can’t control the paste (ie pull from clipboard) it has additional features.

My workaround is to use a clipboard manager. There’s clip-it on linux, and ditto on Windows. Though it sounds like Windows might now have a clipboard manager. Clipboard managers are handy if you want to collect 3 pieces of information from a website (e.g. url, title, text) and paste them into a TW bookmark without having to go back and forth 3 times.

1 Like

I suppose on this subject we must point out TiddlyClip for people passing later.

For Linux users, one should also try greenclip. The advantage is that it can be integrated with rofi. So you can not only copy multiple things into clipboard, but also search through last ‘n’ clippings much like Tiddlywiki search, where ‘n’ is a configurable number.

2 Likes

@anon9140225 interesting. I was plaing to make a search box that a seperate filter scopes the tidders to be searched, eg clipboard tiddlers. But this last N idea suggests it could be valuable to search N days recent or in the history list only.

Sorry I missed this originally.

The dropzone widget catches paste events. On desktop browsers, if you right click on the background of the TiddlyWiki window and click “paste”, then the data on the clipboard is handled by the dropzone. By default, the dropzone passes the data to the navigator for import, but the dropzone does have an “actions” attribute which allows for customisation.

@Jeremy I cant see that happening on TiddlyWiki.com although the ctrl-v works. The browsers (Chrome) r-click menu is not showing paste.

I am looking for this “position” as well. Eg on close all.