New "Sites" menu for tiddlywiki.com

I’ve just added a new top level “Sites” menu to https://tiddlywiki.com/ and the other TiddlyWiki official sites:

The intention is to highlight the various official sites and make navigating between them be more consistent. It also allows us to consider removing some of the link panels in the opening “HelloThere” tiddler.

It’s part of wider goal I’ve been pursuing recently of trying to get the profusion of separate official TiddlyWiki sites a bit better organised. It has also involved consolidating official TiddlyWiki-related GitHub repos under the TiddlyWiki · GitHub organisation, and starting to get more consistent about the use of tiddlywiki.com vs. tiddlywiki.org.

Feedback is welcomed on the wording and implementation.

8 Likes

Great idea, Jeremy!!!

A great idea indeed. Thanks @jeremyruston.
It might be a good idea to also add the link to the TW Upgrade Wizard to the list, as it is more or less often needed.
What do you think?

2 Likes

Maybe not added to a sites list, but could be added to the bar.

I think that makes sense. There is a risk of the menu getting too large, but lets see whether there are others that should be included. We could perhaps make things clearer with group dividers (like in the edit tiddler type dropdown).

Nice. … The mobile view needs some more attention

To aid the newcomer reaching the point, “Oh, I see! TiddlyWiki uses TiddlyWiki to build tiddlywiki.com !”, add at the bottom:

<span style="float:right"> See how this menu was built [here [Menu-Tiddler-Documentation]] </span>

Thanks @pmario, updated in Sites menu: fix mobile view · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5@16f56af · GitHub

I do like the idea of providing those sort of signposts, but I’m not sure that this menu is the right place because it’s so prominent.

@jeremyruston perhaps you could package the sites menu in a plugin available in the core plugins. Then people developing tiddlywiki specific wikis can include it with the menu bar plugin adding additional links throughout the internet to the various resources.

• Add the ability to rename, customise and duplicate the site menu for their own use “sites” would also be nice.

• This will result in a de facto standard and increase healthy links and SEO out there.

• Arguably a useable replica in a tab would also help for non-menu bar wikis.

1 Like

I didn’t make the sites menu be a plugin at this point because that would have meant waiting until the next release.

Instead, the sites menu components are in a separate subfolder of the tw5.com edition, which makes it relatively straightforward to reuse them under Node.js. For example, TiddlyWikiLinks uses the sites menu:

Brilliant!

I upgraded my TiddlyWiki to the 5.2.3 prerelease, but I don’t see it included under the Menu Bar Plugin under the “Menu Bar Configuration” tab. Am I missing a step?

Thanks @markkrieg – and welcome to the group!

The sites menu isn’t currently part of the menu bar plugin.

However, I’ve just added the tag “TiddlyWikiSitesMenu” to all the component tiddlers, which makes it easy to drag and drop it to your own wiki. Look for the “TiddlyWikiSitesMenu” tag pill here and drag it across to your own wiki to import the tiddlers:

https://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2F_tw_shared%2Fsites

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Jeremy!!

These same options can be used to populate discourse see Links on Discourse header bar