Memory Keeper by Craig Sturgeon

That’s great. Looking forward to build 8 :slight_smile:

On point 2 you’re describing exactly the issue that I’m having - that the Ctrl key doesn’t work if selected items have been filtered out.

Thank you for the tip, adding selected entries to the filter of the list box. That is a brilliant idea and only took a minute to implement. I love how it works now. It’ll be in build 8.

1 Like

FYI. The next release, build 8, of The Memory Keeper is now available for download. Start by reviewing an example solution. The Memory Keeper — Churchill Family History 0.0.08

4 Likes

Hi Craig,

I noticed that I can add people to an organisation as members. Is there any chance you can add a tab under person to show which organisations they are associated with.

Use case: I would like to places where a person worked or went to school even the organisations or charities they participate.

Many :pray:

A thought… if we hope that Memory Keeper is used by mainstream family historians and local history researchers (which they should). We might need a “Quick Start” guide. We have some excellent guides “Getting Started” but I suspect they are still off-putting for the non-techie/unfamiliar with TW.

Well, @my_mind how did that get left out? Comes down to lack of QA. I can personally benefit from this. There is a generic organization tab Tiddler, but I failed to include it on person and place tiddlers. Also, it appears organizations are not appearing on the organization tab on project or tasks tiddlers as expected. Thank you, I’ll fix that.

Craig

This was a quick fix I’ll include in the next release (0.0.09). However, let’s try something… hotfixes.

Make sure you have good backs up. This hotfix is only valid for those systems on 0.0.08.

Download this json file and drag and drop it into MK. Test and let me know how it goes.

http://craigsturgeon.com/mk/hotfixes/AddFixOrganizations_0.0.08-01.json

@myfta I cannot disagree with any of these comments. I think most people who have downloaded MK have some level of background knowledge of TW. I do want to add a “Getting Started” section to my documentation, but I do not want to replicate any other great works out there on TW. This topic of documentation being too techie has come up a few times. Are there any good “how to” or “getting started” videos on youtube?

Wonderful thanks for you this!

World like a charm. I can see organisations under person. Many thanks again.

Is there an easy way of adding additional event types to Memory Keeper? In particular I think it would be useful to mark career events such as a change in occupation, enlistment/discharge from the military, award received etc.

Edit: further to the above, is there any way of including additional notes about an event which will appear in a person’s timeline?

@bullfinch

Go to the online help (also written in TW)

https://clsturgeon.github.io/MemoryKeeper/

And search for “custom event types”. Let me know if that is not what you are looking for.

Notes in the timeline… add event descriptions or notes in the “description” field of the event. That should do it.

Heads up. More coming in the next build. Timeline events will show the icons associated with the place(s) of an event. The idea is an event occurred in specific city, that place can be child of another place (county), and that could be a child place of a State which is a child of the country (US). Any found icons associated with these places appear in the event on the timeline. The idea is to put a flag image as the icon. I put flags in for provinces, States, and countries. So, only these appear. These icons will also appear on pedigree charts (on Family tab).

Craig

2 Likes

Ah thanks so much. I somehow missed version 0.0.10 was already out! The docs I was looking from The Memory Keeper — Help 0.0.08 are still the 0.0.08 version.

1 Like

I can see how that could happen. I moved the help and downloads from my personal site to GitHub, so downloads would still be available when I get hit by that bus.

Very thoughtful! All the same I should have explored the documentation a bit more thoroughly before piping up on here. Thanks for your patience.

I’ve noticed a few issues since upgrading to 0.0.10 relating to charts. Not sure if these have been seen elsewhere, however:

1. Birth/death dates no longer show up on pedigree charts
  2. The descendent chart shows up as a very small graph with no information about the people in the chart (but with links to tiddlers for the relevant individuals).
  3. The family grid contains icons which link to the relevant tiddlers, but again no information is displayed about these people in the grid view itself (no names etc)

I’ve tried starting from an empty file and creating a dummy family from scratch but the issues appear the same. I’ve tried in both Firefox and Chromium browsers.

I will review and potentially fix. I think some of changes were made to improve performance (ie removed birth & death dates). The alternative was to display the caption field. I think I should make this optional/ configurable.

So, for example. If you have a person named “Smith, John William”, try populating the caption field with the name and years for birth and death, example “John William Smith (1879-1934)”. After you add a few caption fields retest.

Have a look at a new demo I’m working on

https://clsturgeon.github.io/MemoryKeeper/AlexanderGrahamBell/AlexanderGrahamBell.html

Thank you.

Craig

3 Likes

Wow! This is amazing! Love it!
Wish to be responsive, so I can use it on mobile!

Thank you, that’s really helpful. With the caption field filled the charts make a lot more sense. Would still be useful if there was a fall-back option in case the caption field is empty (i.e. show the name from the tiddler title) but if that adds a performance cost then maybe that wouldn’t be suitable for very large MKs.

Edit: Another point about the caption field I find a little confusing is the treatment of parentheses/brackets. If the dates are added in parentheses e.g. as (1936 - 2019) then this displays on a separate line. However if I want to add some other detail in parentheses or brackets then it messes up the caption e.g. if I want to include a maiden name. The use of square brackets prevents the caption from showing up at all.

@bullfinch Some interesting points, especially the round brackets containing dates in the caption field. Seems a bit of a hard line by me. I follow the line that the person’s birth name should be put in the tiddler title—so no need for a maiden name in brackets. I am against using nicknames here too, but others should be able to do it. In the next build, you will be able to.

There is a new configurable item:

In this case, you can now force reports to show full dates from events. Then here are some examples (it also shows off a few other new items–birth location icon, flags, and cause of death are shown):

Thoughts? Thank you for your input.

That looks great! I take your point about not requiring maiden names if the tiddler title is the birth name and the caption is the current/last name. I had not been using the caption field at all so perhaps I will adopt the convention you have been using. All the same, I think those new options are helpful. Do either of those options allow for the captions to take priority if they exist, but to be filled using the tiddler title and event dates if not?