Mehregan Edition: First public beta release

Do you mean the node explorer? the one shows links/backlinks/tagged with, …

if so, in Mehregan you find it as a smart tab, see below image

You can customize what listed from settings tab (or Sidebar → More Tab → Thinkup → Node Explorer).

2 Likes

Ah, yes: much more elegant solution, than having this utility appear by default on all tiddlers.

Wow: configuration options galore -nicely hidden from view, but readily accessible, however you choose to approach it. So many power-tools for personal KM in this edition, i don’t know as how i’ll ever manage to use them all, but it’s great to have them all so nicely arrayed in this edition.

1 Like

This is a very impressive amalgamation of many of the best features that exist in other Editions. I am particularly impressed by the logical organization of the features.

Thank you very much for pulling this together!

Best regards,
Hans

1 Like

@Mohammad, amazing developments!

One very small comment, after initial test-drive, is that it would be ideal if the smart tabs at bottom, when collapsed, had some visual indicator (such as darker color) to help us see whether there is something “there”, somewhat like the difference made by the “dirty” version of the icon for saving.

For example, the button/icon for the Comments would display as darker (or with salient background, etc.) where there ARE comments, the button/icon for Todos displayed as darker where there are Todos, etc.

In general, I love the idea of being able to tuck all this stuff away, but in the current design I would often end up often click-browsing through the tab buttons just to see whether there’s something there.

Of course, I wouldn’t be surprised if something like this is already on your development wish-list. If so, please forgive the redundancy.

Looking forward to spending more time with this!

-Springer

2 Likes

Hey,
I second the comment of springer, perhaps also with numbers thats ‘count’ the regrouped items.

2 Likes

Thank you @Springer for your feedback.
That’s true, when you use Mehregan in real life, it seems you have to do several clicks on a Tiddler (card) to see if there are microcontents or not!

Like Android app, I plan to add a bubble to indicate there is something there. My first trial was slowness of Tiddlywiki when there are several tiddlers open in the story river, the reason is many filters are calculated.

By the way I will experiment to find a solution for this. I also welcome any solution here.

As I replied to @Springer this is a matter of performance. Counting and adding number while is a better approach and more informative but makes things more slow.

By the way all said above are valid when many tiddlers are open in story river.

A new update is pushed. There was two fixes,
Pikaday was added
Task subtitle was corrected.

NOTE: This is in progress edition and will experience changes (addition/deletion of features), so do not use it for anything valuable. This version is only for evaluation.

Depending on the expected usage;

When using optional content on a tiddler it can make sense to use a qualified state. So make it need to be clicked to make it visible, on individual tiddlers, then unless clicked again it remains visible.

• Although you could have a pin open button, only visible when open.

It is possible for a state tiddler to be a title only, and its existence is the toggle, [<state-tiddler>has[title]] / [<state-tiddler>!has[title]] so to un-toggle you delete the state tiddler.

• perhaps we could even use a missing tiddler as the state? :open_mouth:

I gave also built solutions with a global setting that can be overidden with a local setting, just ask if you want an outline of the “al gore rhythm” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

In some ways if you pin something open there is no need to test if there is microcontent you just show it.

I like to see your solution!
Note the each tab at the tiddler bottom has some filters, some has to do more calculations on all non system tiddlers.
Adding a button to show tabs and hide them by default is not good UI design here.

I would like to keep up w/ these progressive enhancements, but getting on-board w/ each new edition involves a fair bit of time (i.e. content migration! [1]), so…

Any “pro tips” you might care to share on how to migrate all my content tiddlers (i.e. leaving out any that might conflict w/ the new edition)- in one easy step, ideally! -would be most appreciated.

[1] With respect to your cautionary note @Mohammad : for all the good sense this makes in principle, in practice i find it hard to evaluate the software w/o putting it to serious use w/ a fair corpus of personally meaningful content. Absent that, the exercise would be both (a) too abstract, and (b) too time-consuming for me to engage meaningfully.

1 Like

To be honest up to Release 1.0 we will have changes, but the good news is these changes will not destroy the user contents.

Mohamad that is debatable, consider a slider that makes it visible. Opt in opt out you choose, add an indicator…

That’s good to hear- but still: how best to migrate user contents from one edition to a newer one remains my question. ?

In most cases a drag and drop of old Wiki over new one (the best method if you have not overwritten shadow tiddlers)

There will be more features.

• like bubbles on smart tab, or similar indications
  • compatibility with themes and palettes
  • other languages support
  • better performance

Also there are some efforts

• to have better categories (now we have source, idea, people, …)
  • to use Refnotes (for bibliography and also unify with source category)
  • to improve Tamasha for presentation in Mehregan
2 Likes

I agree,
but here we have Tabs which is like a slider, so I prefer to not and another slider…

A new thread discusses this issue: Short Circuit Evaluation in TiddlyWiki - Discussion - Talk TW

1 Like

I am only just getting around to this update:

… Tried this (literally: drag & drop “index.html” file of my existing instance over likewise-named file for the new edition) and it didn’t work. In MacOS Finder, this just asks if you want to overwrite the new file w/ an older version, which it did -and i confirmed it was the old version by checking list of plugins, which did not include Pikday (which came bundled in the new edition). Obviously i misunderstood the instruction, so…

This is to ask for clarification of the instruction @Mohammad kindly provided above: how to upgrade a deprecated edition w/ a new one, while preserving all user content intact?

ps: If there’s a canonical HowTo for this procedure anywhere, i’ve failed to find it, but if anyone can provide a link, that would be great.

Hi Ludwig,
My workflow is like this

1. Open the new empty.html (here fresh copy of Mehregan)
  2. From my file manager I drag the old wiki (say mywiki.html) into the opened empty.html in the browser
  3. The $:/Import tiddler fires up and ask me to click the import button
  4. I can uncheck those items I do not like to import
  5. After import I save the wiki.

Now I have a copy of my old wiki in empty.html, I rename and put it in my working folder

That’s all

2 Likes

Great -that seems to have worked perfectly. Importer blocked items already existing (e.g. plugins), brought in all my content tiddlers, AFAICT… Did leave out a whole bunch of state tiddlers, w/o any ill effects i have yet seen… But all seems to be in order. Thanks again, @Mohammad, for your great support!