Mehregan Edition: First public beta release

To be honest up to Release 1.0 we will have changes, but the good news is these changes will not destroy the user contents.

Mohamad that is debatable, consider a slider that makes it visible. Opt in opt out you choose, add an indicator…

That’s good to hear- but still: how best to migrate user contents from one edition to a newer one remains my question. ?

In most cases a drag and drop of old Wiki over new one (the best method if you have not overwritten shadow tiddlers)

There will be more features.

• like bubbles on smart tab, or similar indications
  • compatibility with themes and palettes
  • other languages support
  • better performance

Also there are some efforts

• to have better categories (now we have source, idea, people, …)
  • to use Refnotes (for bibliography and also unify with source category)
  • to improve Tamasha for presentation in Mehregan
2 Likes

I agree,
but here we have Tabs which is like a slider, so I prefer to not and another slider…

A new thread discusses this issue: Short Circuit Evaluation in TiddlyWiki - Discussion - Talk TW

1 Like

I am only just getting around to this update:

… Tried this (literally: drag & drop “index.html” file of my existing instance over likewise-named file for the new edition) and it didn’t work. In MacOS Finder, this just asks if you want to overwrite the new file w/ an older version, which it did -and i confirmed it was the old version by checking list of plugins, which did not include Pikday (which came bundled in the new edition). Obviously i misunderstood the instruction, so…

This is to ask for clarification of the instruction @Mohammad kindly provided above: how to upgrade a deprecated edition w/ a new one, while preserving all user content intact?

ps: If there’s a canonical HowTo for this procedure anywhere, i’ve failed to find it, but if anyone can provide a link, that would be great.

Hi Ludwig,
My workflow is like this

1. Open the new empty.html (here fresh copy of Mehregan)
  2. From my file manager I drag the old wiki (say mywiki.html) into the opened empty.html in the browser
  3. The $:/Import tiddler fires up and ask me to click the import button
  4. I can uncheck those items I do not like to import
  5. After import I save the wiki.

Now I have a copy of my old wiki in empty.html, I rename and put it in my working folder

That’s all

2 Likes

Great -that seems to have worked perfectly. Importer blocked items already existing (e.g. plugins), brought in all my content tiddlers, AFAICT… Did leave out a whole bunch of state tiddlers, w/o any ill effects i have yet seen… But all seems to be in order. Thanks again, @Mohammad, for your great support!

Normally I do not import temp and state! This may reset the states in updated Wiki, but not a big deal!
For plugins I assume, those are in your empty.html are newer than the old wiki! So this should be okay.

2 Likes

Important Note

Keep the old wiki in your archive folder, to refer to it if anything worked wrong any time in the future :wink:

I normally add a date of archive and keep all my old wikis.

@Mohammad is it possible to explain or list the plugins that make Mehregan possible against its features?

For example, I was wondering how it shows tiddlers created on a date under the journal of that date.

Also, it will help understand the magic behind its features to some extent.

Sure, I will later add docs to Mehregan!

These are not special plugins, they are filters! A filter match created date with the date of journal tiddler.

There was requests to add bubble notifications (indicator) to show the number of items (nodes, comments, keywords, todos,…) on smart tabs!

Now I added this feature to Mehregan. The help from @saqimtiaz is much appreciated.

Sidenote: I am afraid in a story river with many tiddlers open TW may experience a little performance impact. For my test case, with 27 tiddlers open, it is very fast with no lag! but I believe adding many UI elements where they need computation in the background will affect performance!

Stay tuned, Mehregan will have a new release soon!

Bubble notification is pure WikiText! Thank you Tiddlywiki.

3 Likes

This is available in 0.7.6

@Mohammad, is 0.6.0 still the most recent release available for public testing? I’m very interested in your 0.7.6 improvements, but they don’t seem to be reflected on your demo TW yet.

Hi @etardiff

The public version is 0.6. I hope I can find some free time to return to it and publish 0.7.6
There are some bugs which need to be addressed. But the difficult part is the docs :wink:

6 Likes

Updates

• 2023.04.20 - Mehregan updated to 0.7.0
    • TW updated to 5.2.7, plugins were updated to latest
    • Autocomplete plugin was added
    • Font Awesome was dropped (you can install it by drag and drop)

For demo and code, see original post above.

3 Likes

Updates

• 2023.04.28 - Mehregan updated to 0.7.1
    • [NEW] Updated to Thinkup 0.7.7
    • [FIXED] A bug in Comments tab: when kara checklist/interstitial is used the data block is shown
1 Like

This would be a good template option to have on Tiddlyhost.com. Is the maintainer of Tiddlyhost over here sometimes? I don’t know their username.