Long waiting time on initial loading

Hello!

when I enter my wikis for first time I experience long waiting times (not always but sometimes), once loaded the first page I can navigate fluently.

Any ideas on how to debug that?
I am aware of @Maurycy’s Advanced Performance plugin but I am not sure on which part of the report should I focus on or even if this is a TW related problem at all.

The wikis are running on nodejs and are hosted on a minipc and accesible within a tailscale VPN network.

Ideas on how can I figure out who to blame( my TW, my tailscale VPN, my minipc)?

I can see a PWA SQLite-TW offline by default approach solving this kind of problems, but have to figure out solutions in the meantime.

Thnxs!

According to my past experience, in addition to using browser performance analysis, you can try to disable plug-ins in the wiki. In addition, some large files may also cause slow loading problems.

1 Like

It may help if you tell us about your wiki, like single file local on file, Node, or over the internet?

How big is it, how many tiddlers, many images inside? etc…

• Add a splash screen
  • If internet hosted consider a CDN (ask if need)

Info about the wiki:

Thousands of tiddlers but light wiki ( about 20 images, no audio, no video).

File wiki running on NodeJS, it loads fast when accessing it on localhost:port.

It loads slow on initial https request when accessing it over TailscaleVPN. (I guess VPN is the guilty but I wanted to validate my theory with the expertise present in this talk-forum)
How come I can navigate fluently after initial slow load?

One image better than thousand words:
test2

You see here that eventhough the Advanced Performance says the wiki loaded with 1,1 seconds. I had to wait more than 7seconds.
(this was an exceptional result, sometimes I hava a white screen for more than 20 seconds)

I don’t use Node much or have it Internet facing with a VPN so I can’t help much here, I am sure others can.

• I believe however unless you have skinny tiddlers the whole of the tiddlywiki loads anyway, a splash screen would tell you its loading. This is why it works so fast in memory.
    • In some ways its like loading all your webpages at once.
  • I have however put single file wikis behind cloudflare with great success.

Solved:

Long waiting times were caused due to unstable wifi or cellular connection.