Kara Plugin: First Public Release

Kara just got an update. It works with Tiddlywiki 5.2.3

Release 0.6.1

• Aug 3rd, 2022
  • [NEW] Now each of checkbox and interstitial note uses meaningful placeholder message

Release 0.6.0

• Aug 2nd, 2022
  • [NEW] Updated to Tiddlywiki 5.2.3
  • [NEW] List all items macro to list todo items and interstitial notes from all tiddlers
  • [NEW] FAQs added
  • [FIXED] Documentation improved

Release 0.5.1

1 Like

Thanks @Mohammad again for a wonderful and well developed solution with wide ranging usability.

I noted I can add this to the top my journal tiddler template as an example.

<<interstitial>>
@@.interstitial

@@

But also I have a small EditorTool bar button that allows me to insert macros into any tiddler eg <<interstitial>> or <<checklist>>.

• Is it possible to change the “place holder” for these?
    • Currently they both say add new ... so there is not clue which is in use, until you make an entry.
    • eg add new log ... or add new item ...

For now I am doing this;

; New items
<<checklist>>

;Log
<<interstitial>>
@@.interstitial

@@

;Getting started
[ ] Getting Started timer (focus)
[ ] Focus wiki first
[ ] Break taker timers
[ ] time panic
  • Note how I am also using the tw5-checklist plugin as well to create named separate sections - they are complementary in this case.

Looking something like this;

Love your work!

Yes, the previous version uses add new item, I removed item., as the input UI is shared between two. But I will correct this at the cost of a little complexity!

1 Like

Done!
Kara 0.6.1 uses dedicated message and can be hacked!

2 Likes

Thanks heaps @Mohammad.

In my above example I can then remove the two headings ; New items and ;Log,

Trying out Kara, and it’s really cool!

2 things though,

first is, if added to a tiddler to be used in the sidebar, trying to add tasks to the .todo won’t apply it.

second, would there be a way to add labels for the todo? maybe something like:

[ ] {High}  todo list item
[x] {Weekly} complete todo item 

and in styles, .kara-high {color:red;} but {Weekly} being a user made one, would need to have it’s own style added by the user into styles, so maybe a default label could just use <<color primary>> ?

This is not related to Kara! Using Tabs has a little trick with currentTiddler. See Official docs for Tabs

But for your quick solution, call checklist or interstitial with explicit tiddler name, do not use the default tiddler (e.g. currentTiddler) !
So, if your sidebar tab tiddler has a title like $:/mysidebar/todos call checklist like below

<<checklist tiddler:"$:/mysidebar/todos">>

If you need a full-fledged Todo manager check Todolist.

Kara is simple checklist. It is a plain todo list!
You can add macros see Todolist for example. You can use those macros in Kara!

If checklist and interstitial exist in the same tiddler, the input area of interstitial will auto focus after adding item to check list.

Step to reproduce

@@.todo

@@

<<checklist>>

@@.interstitial

@@

<<interstitial>>
  • After saving, the cursor is focusing on interstitial.
  • Click on checklist and add a new task. Press Enter or click + to save it.
  • The cursor is focusing on interstitial.

This behaviour also happens under

• Click the checkbox of checklist
  • Edit a system tiddler after saving if a tiddler with interstitial or checklist input area is open

That is true! Please see documentation for this. The reason is the host tiddler is refreshed on adding removing items and the last edit box with focus=yes will win!

The macros have attribute to turn off autofocus. See checklist/interstitial macros.

It seems there is no simple solution using wikitext. BTW I welcome if you or other users can propose a better approach

1 Like

Thanks. I have updated the new version and disable the auto focus for all checklist list.

Great plugin @Mohammad !

Some users may want the checklist display to show completed (checked off) items at the bottom automatically. This can be accomplished with a very simple mod in $:/plugins/kookma/kara/macros/disp-items-checklist by adding a sort[] filter operator (taking advantage of the fact [ ] is before [x] syntaxically)

\define kara-disp-items()
<ul class="kk-kara-checklist">
<$list filter="[<dblock>splitregexp[\n]!is[blank]]" variable=row>
<li class="kk-kara-row">
<div class="kk-kara-desc"><<disp-single-item>></div>
<div class="kk-kara-delete"><<delete-single-item>></div>
</li>
</$list>
</ul>
\end

becomes:

\define kara-disp-items()
<ul class="kk-kara-checklist">
<$list filter="[<dblock>splitregexp[\n]!is[blank]sort[]]" variable=row>
<li class="kk-kara-row">
<div class="kk-kara-desc"><<disp-single-item>></div>
<div class="kk-kara-delete"><<delete-single-item>></div>
</li>
</$list>
</ul>
\end

The behaviour then mimics that of checklistdemo — a demo of the Checklist plugin for TiddlyWiki5.

With a bit more work, it could even become a configurable option in Kara.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Good hack! :sweat_smile: :clap: :clap:
I add it as option in next release.

1 Like

It’s my first day working seriously w/ Kara (v.0.6.4) -serious enough to look into the docs- and i just love that Idea and Todo List tiddler at bottom of your docs page -the way it works in that instance.

In my instance, where i’ve created an exact copy of that tiddler, it mostly works -except tiddlers spawned via the ‘New Task’ button are created with those two buttons ‘Done’ and ‘Tasks Explorer’ NOT present in the View Template. Moreover: even when i add a ‘done’ tag manually to the ‘New Task’ tiddler, it still doesn’t appear flagged as ‘complete’ in the Status column of Task Explorer table… So i feel like i must be missing some code somewhere.

So @Mohammad , i’m wondering if- with a freshly installed copy of Kara v.0.6.4, whose only additional code is what’s contained in that Idea and Todo List tiddler as it now appears in bottom position on your docs site, is there something else that must be done to make it work as it does in that demo?

It is actually not related to Kara :wink:
You see that Ideas and Tools in all plugins doc! if you press alt+D it creates a new tasks on the fly.

There is a plan to use that Task Explorer with Kara! but I need to find free time to integrate them.

Ideas and Tools is part of Mehregan!

Maybe for now, the quick way is to download Mehregan and drop your wiki on it!

2 Likes

Ahh… Clearly i have not spent enough time in your wonderful plugin docs! :smiley:

I don’t understand: what is the “it” that does this magic? I’ve tried it in my instance (what has Kara and Shiraz both installed), but that key combo doesn’t seem to do anything.

Wow- another amazing piece of work! I have to say, @Mohammad : the rate at which you keep cranking out useful tools is a wonder to behold. Much as i am tempted to do as you say tho, i’m continue working for now with my instance as it stands (including Shiraz & Kara), until i can honestly say i’ve outgrown this super-powerful toolset. Can’t thank you enough for this!

2 Likes

Check this on Kara demo page! The shortcuts are defined for Windows. But like other TW shortcuts, you can open $:/ControlPanel → Keyboard Shortcuts and change the combination as you like.

1 Like

Day 2 of working w/ Kara- 1st day of Interstitial Journaling -and finding it to be a great addition to my Journal template, which i configured simply by adding the macro:
<<interstitial tiddler:"" showInput:"" focus:"yes">>
to my Control Panel::Info::"Text for new tiddlers" config, rather than following that more complicated “conditional view template” solution given in the docs.

Question @Mohammad : Can you tell me a simple way to modify the above macro, so that the list of interstitial journal entries would appear in rev-chrono order (i.e. top-loaded, blog-style, w/ most recent entry just below the entry field), rather than presenting in the chronological order that is default?

1. open $:/plugins/kookma/kara/macros/disp-items-interstitial
  2. replace <$transclude tiddler=<<dblock>> field=title mode=block/> with <$transclude tiddler={{{ [<dblock>split<lbr>!is[blank]!sort[]] :and[join<lbr>] }}} field=title mode=block/>
1 Like

Awesome! Overcame my trepidation (born of that popup warning) about danger of overwriting shadow tiddlers -and it seems to have worked.

Only: i think it may get a bit confused if one bangs off a bunch of entries in the same minute, as i did per the screenshot below, numbered in sequence of entry, but not exactly ordered that way. Looks to me like the first sort is by minute, and then the next sort is by alphabetical (note that some of these items have a space between alpha & numeric chars) -am i right?

Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 17.51.12