In search of the best TW-Slideshow

The problem:

Tiddlywiki is a great tool for taking notes and writing text. There are several approaches to turning it into a presentation tool. To my opinion the best approach so far is sukima’s implementation of the reveal.js presentation framework for TW Reveal.js — Reveal.js presentations embedded in TiddlyWiki .

But even with this, it takes quite a lot of work to prepare a set of tiddlers for a presentation.

The main reason for this is, that the quantity of information that fits into a tiddler is often too big for one slide.

So was looking for a fast mechanism to split up the tiddlers for presentations only.

The idea:

Mohammad’s section-editor plugin Section Editor — create, edit, fold, manage sections gave me the clue that using headers would be the fastest way to do this. So with his hints I made this

proof of concept.

The trick:

I created some Tiddlers that give you a button that transforms the storyriver to a slideshow. Reveal.js creates a grit of horizontal and vertical slides. The filter I borrowed from Mohammed transforms the sections to vertical slides. Normally you should cycle through them using the space-key (somehow this is not working yet…)

What remains to be done

• The Keyboard-navigation should be repaired (…it works in sukima’s plugin and have to find where I broke it…)
  • This slideshow some nice stylesheets for the slideshow that can be attributed per tiddler.
    • the style for a tiddler can be stored in a field, but I need ideas for the most comfortable way
  • to attribute a presentation-style to an individual sections
  • to hide mark that a section displayed in the Tiddler shall be hidden in the show.

So help in these aspects is very appreciated.

Best wishes Jan

2 Likes

Remember the class field that is already working.

Very clever solution Jan! This makes TW a presentation machine :wink:
Amazingly the space key for navigation works on my Win10+Chrome90

Thanks Mohammad,

I have looked at these resources and not sure how to start.

I feel I have other ways to achieve this, such as using macros but If I may state what would be good;

The ability to locate and return the contents of an arbitrary macro or transclusion found in a tiddlers text field eg begin {{ end ||linker}} then use what ever means to alter, edit or select the the contents that we want between begin and end (a Temp field or value is fine), but then allow the changed value to be saved back to where it was found in the text eg {{newcontent||linker}}.

I know this may be easy to describe but hard to implement. If you can provide a little guidance on how I may achieve this (not a solution) given your recent familiarity with the section editor I would appreciate it. If you think the solutions vary too much that’s fine.

Regards
Tony

@TW_Tones, I may suggest to see how @JanJo used the new filter! I assume your case is similar!

One question: {{ end ||linker}} means transclusion through template. do you want to use it for other purpose? For example parse the first and second part and then render differently?

I may also suggest to have a look at sticky-notes by @stobot!

One obstacle in most of the above solutions is we need to parse/render the tiddler text! so, we discussed before here and on GitHub we should have a better mechanism to not display the tiddler body! @jeremyruston has recently introduced cascades which will help here!

That means users can optionally display the body text or use their own parser/render for certain tiddlers!

1 Like

Hi Tones,
is your post concerning the slideshow or some other problem?
I find it hard to understand the context…
regards Jan

Whoa!
That is seriously good!

Just FYI on my Windows (10) tablet in Firefox it is fine. But on Chrome I do get repeated (recoverable) RSODs … To do with “cross-origin”, whatever that means …

Just a comment
TT

Astonishing… it seems that this was caused by an embedded youtube-IFrame which then ran without problems. Chrome should know that site.
BTW: Is there a way of suppressing alert-screens under defined circumstances.
They appear really if there really was a deadly menace even if the causes are not severe and even if the site recovers seconds afterwards…

1 Like

Right. I don’t see it as a problem. Those alerts do reduce take-up though. They are intrusive.

No. It’s an exception and even if the UI seems to be still responsive, the underlaying program has stopped where the exception has been thrown. It won’t start again. … It stopped and can cause invisible side effects that may lead to data loss.

It says “Uncaught SecurityError”. So there has been a security violation and there is no code in the core that handles it. So the browser stops execution of the program at that position and “throws” an exception. …

The same-origin policy is probably the most important security rule all browsers have to follow. In my personal short words: “You can only execute code within an embedded frame, if the code comes from the same origin / site”. … Due to security reasons.

“cross origin code” is code that comes from a different origin and it wants to access data from on the main site. … That’s not allowed by default. … Hence there’s an exception.

1 Like

@pmario I think it a very interesting issue. @JanJo is just trying to do something simple that in Chrome goes AWOL. It kinda UPS-THE-ANTE making making more difficult than it could be.

TT

I think this is the point. Of course I want to know when there is the risk of not saving correctly.
By contrast, if some pupil / customer who only reads my wiki is shown this sign, this will most probably not be the case. And despite of this, the sign is more frightening /annoying for them.
Therefore it would be nice to have the option to define when / to whom this sign is not shown.
Jan

1 Like

I can’t reproduce the problem. I’m using Windows 10, Edge and FireFox to test the demo site. …

So just guessing — Something in the browser settings may be “private mode”, “strict security settings” or an AddBlocker may have detected something in the embedded youtube-IFrame and has thrown a security exception.

TW has shown it. … IMO it’s like the “red motor warning light” in a car. If ignored something bad may happen. You can get rid of it – by fixing it.

As I wrote it’s a “red motor warning light” not the yellow one, which may be ignored

Thanks! Maybe so. I tend to block everything potentially malicious via browser add-ins. But I never had issues with TW before from that so I was surprised. I’ll do some tests & report back.

Sorry if my issue spoiled the thread, @JanJo’s innovation is good and deserves attention.
TT